GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned from you guys that the stripped acorn nuts on my upper right taillight is a Honda Maintance item, but I was hoping to get some suggestions from some of you as to how I can get this stripped nut out. It is in the one that is recessed......of course.

Is there some way to take something round and about the same size and heat it to melt some of the plastic around the stem of the screw....then try to get the nut off???????

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had the same problem. I took a small punch and put an indention in the top of the nut. I found the smallest drill bit I could find, lined things up and started drilling. Ater I drilled through the nut I went to the next size bit. Eventually I got it out. I had to get a pair of vice grips and twist the old olr around. The OEM bolt has a "T" head that is set on the inside of the housing. I had to get a pair of vice grips and rock it back and forth. I did a little damage to the plastic on the housing, but it finally cae out. Then went to the hardware store and bought a bolt a little longer than the original. Stuck the new bolt down in the old hole and filled it with JB Weld. So far so good..... If bike is still under warranty take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
if it was my bike i would let the dealer mess with it, Honda would likely authorize a new tail lite under warranty and that would b the end of that problem

fortunatly never had that problem with my bike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts