GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked their site and cannot find a price list anywhere. Can someone tell me where to find the prices for these trailers and models available.
It's a nice site but frustrating to try to find a price. It makes me think they must be too expesive it they won't list one.

Thanks for the help
DJ

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
DJ,

Send a PM to Tom Finch. He's the guru/manufacturer of the Tailwind. Yep, they are EXPENSIVE, around $6000 fully loaded. Tom may see this post and respond.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
6 grand fully loaded? Isnt that about what a fully loaded Bushtec costs? I recall seeing them post some here a while ago and I think MSRP was in that range. I thought the Wind was a bit higher in cost than the Bushtec but I could be just assuming the Austin Martin Vanquish of trailers would be more. The vanquish is my dream car. Would have preferred to own the Tailwind too but didnt knwo about it when I was in the market for a trailer.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I think six grand for a Bushtec is a high figure. Not to say it can't be done with options but mine was well under five with what I considered a loaded unit,at least it works for me. MERRY CHRISTMAS :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The 2006 price on a Tailwind was $5995. There were no options as Tom "Fully Loaded" all of them.

I've heard of other trailer's going for up to $8,000, but I think that was because of a dealer jacking up the price and a buyer who didn't know better.

Tom is currently re-figuring his business model and MAY be offering multiple levels of trailers. This, of course, will give a range of prices.

Tailwind is a start-up company, and most of the work is outsourced to other vendors. That is eating up a lot of Tom's profit, so he is working on bringing much of that work, such as paint, e-glass, and so on, in-house. To do that, he has to sell more trailers. I don't know if I could put up with the ulcers and sleepless nights that he must be experiencing, but thank goodness he can.

I'm expecting my TW in the next month. It's been a bit of a wait, but (from what I've been told) it will be worth every minute.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Tom, congrats on the new trailer. I wish I could order one, Heck I wish I was able to ride enough to justify selling the trailer I have now and upgrading.

I dont doubt for a minute that it will have been worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Joseph said:
Tom, congrats on the new trailer. I wish I could order one, Heck I wish I was able to ride enough to justify selling the trailer I have now and upgrading.

I dont doubt for a minute that it will have been worth the wait.
My understanding is that many Tailwind owners will keep the trailer on the bike permanently. This allows them to increase their riding as they can now ride to work, ride to the store, ride to visit friends and families.

I ordered mine because I enjoy camping and wanted to be able to carry some of the comforts of home with me. I also do quite a bit of business travelling and need to wear suits (yuk!) at the meetings I attend. Having a trailer will allow me to ride to the business meetings and take my suits along with me.

I'm not sure if I'll permanently have the trailer on, but I'm pretty sure it will be behind me 50% or more of the time.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Tom,...... Suits I understand, I'm in them most days as well. It's about time to go out and buy another suit and a couple new sport coats once again. Every year I find its time to retire some and replace. As a teen I never would have thought Id need a closet full of suits and tuxedo's. (Still dislike wearing a tie.)

My travel is world wide so I can't take the bike, your lucky. The only issue I would have for having the trailer hooked up all the time is space. My garage isnt set up where I could have the bike and trailer together and I wouldn't want to leave it sit outside.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Joseph said:
Tom,...... Suits I understand, I'm in them most days as well. It's about time to go out and buy another suit and a couple new sport coats once again. Every year I find its time to retire some and replace. As a teen I never would have thought Id need a closet full of suits and tuxedo's. (Still dislike wearing a tie.)

My travel is world wide so I can't take the bike, your lucky. The only issue I would have for having the trailer hooked up all the time is space. My garage isnt set up where I could have the bike and trailer together and I wouldn't want to leave it sit outside.
My travel is usually to either Melbourne, FL. or to St. Louis. Either is 700-800 miles from me, so that's a nice day trip. I also hate wearing suits, but that's the company's dress code. It's a small sacrifice for a nice paycheck. Only another 12 years until retirement, then I'll keep one suit and wear jeans every day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pricing

Hey if you guys get pricing please post it here. I have requested pricing several times and still have not received any.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I am not saying that you guys are adding to the pressure or anything....

Did you know that Honda doubled the price of the taillights from the 05 style to the 06 style? Talk about swimming upstream. What about hazmat shipping of sub zero PrePreg? Wanna compete with Peking for steel, copper, or aluminum? Aircraft demand for composites is up 20%. Tom is right, we are really busy.

Nice things happen too:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-....&OS=IN/"Finch,+Thomas"&RS=IN/"Finch,+Thomas"

Just another part of the corporate puzzle in place.

Tailwind in Europe

Running the Gap

And always after the newest technology. A very active field. New bonds, cores, and methods were shown at the conference that we attended in Dallas in November. We were the only non aircraft product at this leading edge conference.

One in paint now will be used behind a Nobel competition sports car.

Blue Wing, We have a long list incuding yourself to send order forms and pricing to when it is done. That is how I have been spending my Christmas Season.

Joseph, I wish things could change in your court so you could have a Tailwind. Fortunately, I am not out of character when I travel by bike now. I gave my Cadillac to the kidney foundation and have plenty of room for the bike and trailer in the garage now. It is really nice to be freed of the cage. I realize that does not fit your condition right now.

The Tailwind demonstrator went on the ground 7/1/04 and has now 91,000 miles on it. I have been able to avoid airline flying since January of 02. I have been in all the 48 states and Canada by bike, even in the wheelchair business.

It does make northern territory travel spotty in the wintertime, as here in Michigan.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Tom Finch said:
And always after the newest technology. A very active field. New bonds, cores, and methods were shown at the conference that we attended in Dallas in November. We were the only non aircraft product at this leading edge conference.
Tom,

How did the other manufacturer's and attendees react to your product? I am getting quite excited about my upcoming delivery. Not as excited as when my new Grandbaby was coming, but what can measure up to that?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Tom

The companies that had product and services on display at the associated trade show were surprised that we had such a product. They said that the auto industry was slow to move to composites because of the cost. They proudly said the Corvette has a composite hood, but at $50,000 for a two seat car.

Composites are in the vernacular a sandwich of various materials to achieve high stiffness and strength with durability. We use 7781 and 1840 fabrics and two types of core. 1840 is a relatively new fabric that has very high stiffness because it is not woven, but rather has linear bands of filaments sewn together. It is like the difference in standing with your legs straight verses standing with you legs bent at the knees.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Tom, every time I see your trailers I know its the right choice. It will be some time before I can justify and more so afford to upgrade but I am hopeful the day will come.

I anticipate when I get rid of the present wing to upgrade to another wing or what ever strikes my fancy at the time I can find a way to make it happen. I know when I buy the next bike it wont be my last but with the tailwind it will be the last trailer I ever need.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Tom,
Congratulations on the patent! I'm still enjoying my Tailwind, but I've put few miles on it this fall. I hope that changes soon.

Any of you who haven't seen a Tailwind and live close to me (Mississippi-Alabama border) are welcome to come and see one up close.

Andy

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Tom

I wrote Social Security and told them I need one of your trailers and to send me 6000 bucks, so far they have not responded !! :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts