GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is leaving at the end of next month for a six month assigment in Monterrey, Mexico. I'd like to see him while he's there and thought that since he'll have a car there this might be a nice winter trip for the bike. Since the temps there average over 100 for highs in summer I want to go no later than March. It'll be a bit too cold, snowy and icy to try to plan on riding all the way and I'd rather spend the time with him instead of riding there and back, anyhow, so I'll fly there or to San Antonio or Laredo, TX.

I have a way to get the bike at least into Texas and back if not all the way to Monterrey (gotta love working with truckers) but I'm concerned about taking the bike into Mexico and parking it there, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Anything special I should know? I'll certainly check with my insurance agent just to make sure I'm covered outside the US but wondered about anything else about which I need to be aware. Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Gary - The "Trips & Rides" forum on the other GL board has several informative threads regarding riding in Mexico. I suggest you read these. Good stuff. There are several insurance sources mentioned also. Based on what I've read on that forum and elsewhere, I don't think your local agent offers coverage in Mexico but I could be wrong.

There's a thread that invites riders to join a group riding through Mexico Feb 7-22. I wanted to go but can't. They're leaving from McAllen Tx and riding through Monterrey on their way to Ixtapa and back. These guys ride in Mexico every year. I corresponded with one who has done these rides 10 times over the past 11 years (something like that anyway). I would have loved to have gone with them this time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts