GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched some of the video's of the dragon, and watched a guy fall etc.
Now I have taken the advanced class and know about not looking down when and in a curve. To look where your going etc, but how do you know where you are if you don't look ? I mean you have to know where your at in the lane like how close you are to the yellow line etc. And some curves are really big and you can't see the exit so you've gotta look where your at just a little don't ya ?

·
Registered
824 Posts
You'll know where you are! If your looking through the turn, your peripherial vision will take care of you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not quite sure about the video and class you're referring to, but when taking a curve I look as far ahead as possible. The bike will take care of itself this way, so you really don't need to be looking at the road directly in front of the bike. This is also a good practice on straight-a-ways so that you can watch for road debris, slowing cars, cars approaching intersections, and other potential problems and have time to react to them.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

We will take care of all those curve questions when you hit the Catskills....LOL

Make sure you bring a bathing suit and some water wings....LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bob said:
I'm not quite sure about the video and class you're referring to, but when taking a curve I look as far ahead as possible. The bike will take care of itself this way, so you really don't need to be looking at the road directly in front of the bike. This is also a good practice on straight-a-ways so that you can watch for road debris, slowing cars, cars approaching intersections, and other potential problems and have time to react to them.
Mike, I agree with Bob. It's almost like the bike goes into auto pilot if/when you look ahead. Course it takes a little getting used to like everything else. Also, it helps to navigate curves when you watch the outside edge of the curve. It gives you a better idea of the upcoming radius (not counting off-camber curves :D ). Take care and ride safe.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Orange Bandit said:
You'll know where you are! If your looking through the turn, your peripheral vision will take care of you.
What Bandit said! Look to the exit, or as far as you can see through the turn to give you good visual directional control, and to maximize hazard sighting.

It is OK to glance at, or scan, different areas. You don't want to get target fixation, but generally you want to look where you want to be with 4 seconds ahead being your immediate path of travel and 12-14 seconds ahead giving you time to prepare for what's coming.

Yes, take the ERC, then practice, practice, practice. Then sign up for a track day or two. You can take the wing or rent one of the schools bikes.

WARNING: it is possible to look, and concentrate, too far ahead. I have found myself practicing racers focus only to find myself crossing the center or fog line. At Reg Pridmore's CLASS, I decided to slow down during my last session because I had already accomplished my goal (recalibrate my internal tilt meter by getting both knees down, and putting little balls of rubber on the very edge of the tread). As I was rounding SIR's turn 2 at about 50 instead of 90, the front end felt funny, so I glanced down to see what's up. I had been looking at the crest of the hill before turn 4 like I had been doing all day, but went off the INSIDE of the track because I was looking 90mph ahead. It was a nice big gravel trap, so I straightened her up without problem, but as I crossed onto asphalt I got launched over the handle bars. Turns out there was a 4" edge trap where the cars kicked the gravel out. OUCH, I woke up mad!!! The moral to this story is "Never Slow Down!"

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Give yourself to the force. Trust the force.

Our roads here in southern WV are crookeder that a barrel of fish hooks! Plus, especially this time of year, they are pocked mared, pot holed, and cracked up like dropped class from winter melt and salt use. You llok ahead and teh bike goes where you look and you also get feed back from the tires/suspension as you go over "things" you saw.

Caution! If you look at the purdy little seat covers in the two door sedan to your right on the multi-lane highway -- you just might drive right into her lap!

prs :oops:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mike you have to constantly practice this. Then one day you will see that it really works. Trust what the guys say. It will work and 'feel' funny the first 30 times you do it , and then hopefully it will be second nature. You will be surprized to see how much easier it is to take those curves. Look ahead and get the whole picture. It is a great learning expierence and break any bad habit you have picked up. It took me awhile to trust not looking down, but it is much better now. Hope you have fun testing. Joy

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I just finished reading David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and am in the process of reading "More Proficient Motorcycling"

In my opinion these are two books that make some very worthwhile reading. They will answer all of your questions and then some.
I plan to keep them around and review them once a year or so.

I can't wait to get home and practice!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
I just finished reading David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and am in the process of reading "More Proficient Motorcycling"
Same here. I first starting reading David Hough's articles in MCN. When the books were published I bought them immediately. (note a bit less expensive at Amazon.com and free shipping over $25.) Practicing what he writes has really helped me to hone my riding skills.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
I just finished reading David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" and am in the process of reading "More Proficient Motorcycling"quote]

I started reading his stuff in MCN just as they switched to B&W. I see I'm not the only one that is happy he put all those articles in a couple books!

Heck of nice guy too! I got to talk with him at length at an instructors update a couple years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quickdraw said:
WARNING: it is possible to look, and concentrate, too far ahead. I have found myself practicing racers focus only to find myself crossing the center or fog line. At Reg Pridmore's CLASS, I decided to slow down during my last session because I had already accomplished my goal (recalibrate my internal tilt meter by getting both knees down, and putting little balls of rubber on the very edge of the tread). As I was rounding SIR's turn 2 at about 50 instead of 90, the front end felt funny, so I glanced down to see what's up. I had been looking at the crest of the hill before turn 4 like I had been doing all day, but went off the INSIDE of the track because I was looking 90mph ahead. It was a nice big gravel trap, so I straightened her up without problem, but as I crossed onto asphalt I got launched over the handle bars. Turns out there was a 4" edge trap where the cars kicked the gravel out. OUCH, I woke up mad!!! The moral to this story is "Never Slow Down!"

I am having trouble picturing you sitting side saddle on your wing taking a corner at 90 mph with both knees dragging along the ground. :shock: :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing that I think is important about riding the twisties is: you lean the bike and your body but always keep your head level with the horizon. I still subscribe to the "look well down the road in front of you and let your peripherial vision take care of the close stuff" theory.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
YellowWingBen said:
I am having trouble picturing you sitting side saddle on your wing taking a corner at 90 mph with both knees dragging along the ground. :shock: :D
you so funny :lol:

One knee at a time on a 750 Katana. Is that a better picture? :p

·
Registered
759 Posts
gosh quickdraw..now I am disappointed in you...I really thot you were good enuff to put both knees down at the same time in a turn... :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Keep your eyes level and have you ever tried...... :superman1: Push Steering

·
Registered
536 Posts
WARNING: it is possible to look, and concentrate, too far ahead.
Nah, with my eyesight, that will never happen.

Mr. Magoo on wheels

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I do practice this and the upcoming riding season will see me in the real twisty's this year So I just wanted to clarify a few things for my own
confidence I'll say, for the lack of a better word. I have taken the ERC and came out of the class with a lot of confidence , so I was keeping up with my training ? And what a better place to ask ? All of you have so much to offer. Last year following my friend I seen him cross the double yellow lines in a turn and met a car, it was very close ! So I want to stay up on what is right ! Thankyou very much to all of you I appreciate your help........ :yes2:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Tony:

I have been trying the push steering for almost a year
now since I read about this. I find it works well when
leaning. I use it most of the time.

After reading this thread, I think I'll start looking further
ahead.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts