GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things my wife and I always liked to do when camping was to take our bicycles with us. We love to ride the bike trails.

Anyone ever take your bicycles with you while pulling your camper with your trike or motorcycle? I was thinking of checking out the 'folding' bicycles. I was going to mount a recevier hitch to the back of the camper and haul my regular mountain bike but it sticks too far out each side of the camper.

If you do, what kind of bikes do you use and what setup do you use to haul your bikes?

·
Registered
139 Posts
One of the things my wife and I always liked to do when camping was to take our bicycles with us. We love to ride the bike trails.

Anyone ever take your bicycles with you while pulling your camper with your trike or motorcycle? I was thinking of checking out the 'folding' bicycles. I was going to mount a recevier hitch to the back of the camper and haul my regular mountain bike but it sticks too far out each side of the camper.

If you do, what kind of bikes do you use and what setup do you use to haul your bikes?
What a great idea, hope that someone has an idea on this we have talked about wanting to take the bikes with us.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
We have a homemade trailer hitch like device with a bike front axle where the ball would be. We remove the front wheel of our tadem bike and strap it to the frame then attach the forks to the hitch/axle. The rear wheel rolls on the pavement with the chain pulled off the freewheel/cassette cogs.

Works great

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I camp solo, which seems quite often these days, I take my Dahon folding bicycle enclosed in a travel bag attached to the top of my camper. I also have an inflatable kayak that I carry in the back seat. Biking in the campground and on the trails has always been a favorite thing. I'm in Florida so there are many state campgrounds that are next to water and the kayak works out well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think touringtom hit the right solution. I fold up bike may be your best option. Anything larger may not really be practical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an Aspen Classic and asked Peggy when I bought mine if they had any customers that brought bikes with them. She said that they sold some trailers with extended tongues and they mounted bike racks on the tongue.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been thinking about adding a bike rack to the top of my Roll A Home. I think it would be easy. The rack is strong and the cross bars would be easy to drill. The bike on top could make tipping the trialer open to get at contents a bit more bothersome though. Probably a winter project for next year.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Misa's idea

Why not mount a Class II or III receiver to the trailer rear? Slide one of those bike mounts in it and go!
Width is really not a problem as you can legally go 102" outside-to-outside. It would be wider than the trailer/camper but the rubber tires sticking out on both side would make nice feeler guages.:22yikes: Would be an interesting combination...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why not mount a Class II or III receiver to the trailer rear? Slide one of those bike mounts in it and go!
Width is really not a problem as you can legally go 102" outside-to-outside. It would be wider than the trailer/camper but the rubber tires sticking out on both side would make nice feeler guages.:22yikes: Would be an interesting combination...
Quick disconnect axels and put the tires in the trailer...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bicycles

Hi, Have been winging with bicycles for 28 yrs. Even do multi-day mt bike tours with panniers, tent, stove, etc. Pull lightweight Kompac Kamp with bicycle skewer and rear tire mounts Yakima bolted thru lid with flat steel reinforcments. Run a light nylon web strap around them for no wiggle. Bicycle camp stuff replaces mc stuff so still travel very light. Never go on road trip vacation without Goldwing and mt. bikes! Must get that singletrack every few days and time in the woods, swimming, etc. Never miss a shower one way or the other, use motel only for Golf days or torrential rain. All followed '84, '02 and now 2012 Wing. Ride spiritedly but safely by leaving the kitchen sink at home. Gear has a way of filling every little space and you'll be shuffling it all around at meals/bedtime and getting underway. Have electric fridge on tongue and spare under rear. Carrying no more than 100 lbs. of gear total with bikes, computer, clothes, personals. Ther is a way and it can be really fun! Even art supplies.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it took me long enough to decide what to do about hauling my bicycle around with me. Wife didn't want me spending the extra money for a foldup bike. She says we already have too many extra things. I considered just strapping it to the top of my camper but I don't have a hard top and I was afraid somehow I would end up tearing a hole in my camper top.

So today I bought a 2" receiver hitch from Harbor Freight and installed it. I don't know a welder so I bolted heavy duty "L" brackets underneath the camper to the frame and then used large "U-Bolts" to bolt the receiver to the brackets. I stood on it...jumped up and down and it was steady as could be. Next time I pull my camper to my brothers in East Texas I'll get him to tac weld the brackets and hitch to the frame. Now to find a receiver bike mount.

·
Registered
236 Posts
bike mount

Well, it took me long enough to decide what to do about hauling my bicycle around with me. Wife didn't want me spending the extra money for a foldup bike. She says we already have too many extra things. I considered just strapping it to the top of my camper but I don't have a hard top and I was afraid somehow I would end up tearing a hole in my camper top.

So today I bought a 2" receiver hitch from Harbor Freight and installed it. I don't know a welder so I bolted heavy duty "L" brackets underneath the camper to the frame and then used large "U-Bolts" to bolt the receiver to the brackets. I stood on it...jumped up and down and it was steady as could be. Next time I pull my camper to my brothers in East Texas I'll get him to tac weld the brackets and hitch to the frame. Now to find a receiver bike mount.

Looks good, you can counter-balance rear weight with spare and cooler on tongue to get 12-25 lbs. tongue wt. Drive around with the whole rig before trip to see what tongue wt. feels best. Did you use some flat steel under the bolts/lockwashers to distribute load form shock over bumps?!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good, you can counter-balance rear weight with spare and cooler on tongue to get 12-25 lbs. tongue wt. Drive around with the whole rig before trip to see what tongue wt. feels best. Did you use some flat steel under the bolts/lockwashers to distribute load form shock over bumps?!

Yes sir....I did. I already have my spare on the tongue and will balance the load out with cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's what I did

P170311_14.26.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts