GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took of the gold Honda emblems on the from of the 1800. What a pain getting the adhesive and foam off.

What's the best way to take the back ones off? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Paul.....most glue (adhesives) can be broken down a bit with a heat gun. these are different from a blowdryer, but a blowdryer may work. Watch the paint! Could also try some denatured alcohol dripping in arond the edges as you pull away on the emblem. It's ok for paint for short exposures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN!!!

I've seen what a heat gun will do (not on my bike)

A blowdryer will work just fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
QUESTION PLEASE:
Are there any hole that will need to be patched up after removing the emblems...or is it all smooth under...how about the 30yrs emblem on the 05?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Nando: Just sticky tape holding front and rear emblems so there are no holes, just smooth. Emblems on side covers are pinned in and leave holes. 30 year emblem, I don't know but would be interested to find out.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
As others have posted, WD40 is enough of a solvent to break the bond of the glue. Then use monofiliment fishing line to work under and across the emblem. Patience is a virtue. :wink:

It is pretty amazing how many folks thik that WD40 is a lubricant. It was developed to clean oil residue off of Atlas rocket skins and as a corrosion preventative / water displacement (WD).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
kg5ie said:
As others have posted, WD40 is enough of a solvent to break the bond of the glue. Then use monofiliment fishing line to work under and across the emblem. Patience is a virtue. :wink:

It is pretty amazing how many folks thik that WD40 is a lubricant. It was developed to clean oil residue off of Atlas rocket skins and as a corrosion preventative / water displacement (WD).
The can says it lubricates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
Gentlemen,
What about the 30 year emblem??? does that have holes in the back or is it just glue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
Heat gun can get you in a Heap of trouble.

I prefer WD-40 for all adhesive removal, to include "Sticky Weight" residue on wheels. Soak it, let it stand and gengly rub it off of painted surfaces with a micro cloth. For the wheels, a good shop rag or towell will do the job.

Bulldog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Nando said:
Gentlemen,
What about the 30 year emblem??? does that have holes in the back or is it just glue

there are no holes just glue
8)
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
ZrxWing said:
Nando said:
Gentlemen,
What about the 30 year emblem??? does that have holes in the back or is it just glue

there are no holes just glue
8)
Hey ZrxWing,
I don't know about those specific "30 yr. emblems" mentioned but don't all the "side cover Goldwing emblems" have holes going thru the covers?? I shaved my front Honda emblem it looks better now but what a P.I.T.A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,894 Posts
someone stated that charcoal starter fluid has been good for removing sticky labels off items. Just not sure what the paint may do with it?
 

·
Name Tag Guy
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
kg5ie said:
It is pretty amazing how many folks thik that WD40 is a lubricant. It was developed to clean oil residue off of Atlas rocket skins and as a corrosion preventative / water displacement (WD).
...and I believe the "40" comes from the 40th attempt to get the right formula..., WD-40
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Took mine off with a blow dryer and WD-40. I also replaced them with the factory Honda car emblems.



Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,099 Posts
The 30 year emblems do NOT have holes and pins, just sticky tape. Use the WD40 and dental floss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
emblems

only the side cover emblems have mounting holes (2)
Buck
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top