GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife sits on the back and takes pictures while we're riding and does a pretty good job at it. She also take takes the pictures when we're stopped. She does this with about a $150 digital hand-held camera.

Well, that particular camera got lost and now we need to get another one.

But, this could also be an opportunity to get a different setup.

Recommendations ?

:smile2:

·
Registered
482 Posts
GoPro or the like could add video and mounting options... but still works hand held... I've got the Gopro 6 Black and the Gopro Session 5 (I bought my self the Session... and wife got me b-day present not knowing I'd gotten so... cool.. two new toys... :D )

·
Registered
791 Posts
My wife sits on the back and takes pictures while we're riding and does a pretty good job at it. She also take takes the pictures when we're stopped. She does this with about a $150 digital hand-held camera.

Well, that particular camera got lost and now we need to get another one.

But, this could also be an opportunity to get a different setup.

Recommendations ?

:smile2:
Here's a link to a highly respected photography website, Dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-travel

Check out their travel camera buyer's guide, determine your budget and and your photographic priorities regarding ease of use, lens speed and zoom lens length(s), amd choose what fits your needs.

Many members will likely chime in with the cameras they're using and are happy with, but these will likely be more than 1 or 2 year old models and no longer available, so their recommendations won't help you.

Tim

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wife does the same thing. Takes pics on the fly and really does a pretty good job. She'll even just take pics over her shoulder or otherwise "blind" shots. Since it's digital, no wasted film and we delete the ones that don't work out. She has gotten some surprisingly good shots with that technique. I guess what I am recommending is not a mounted camera. If your wife doesn't like holding a camera, I have a Sena 10C on my helmet and can face something and click a pic or a burst from my helmet cam. It also does video but I don't use that much anymore since I got a dash cam. Either I don't have a good eye for photography or the 10C pics just don't work out because her pics are 100 times better than mine. I only do the 10C pics when I am riding solo because I am not going to carry a camera in my hand or around my neck.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Once you think you have your decisions narrowed down to a handful of cameras I like using cameradecsions.com to easily compare 2 cameras against each other. Once you see the comparisons you will start to see how the different characteristics relate to the type of photography you plan on doing and what might be important to you.

I enjoy my camera and carry a cannon G3X on my daily hikes and in my bike when traveling on the open rode. It’s a modern superzoom type of camera that’s sized between a pocket camera and a full sized DSLR. I can easily carry it on a 5 mile walk on a shoulder strap.

For me it’s a hobby that’s just as important to me as my motorcycle riding. I find they blend great together.

Next week, me, my camera and my bike are headed to Zion and the north rim of the Grand Canyon on my annual fall foliage ride. Looking forward to it.

https://cameradecision.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
still shots = Canon Power Shot SX280 HS...picked it up on Ebay...Canon has a refurb site for their factory refurbished cameras ( https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras) some better deals as the factory has loaded the latest software, tested and they offer some kind of service plan...
Movies = GoPro mounted to the center front of the bike ( windscreen) and we use the GoPro remote to trigger the filming....I direct my wife over the intercom to start and stop the filming...works OK ...until the battery goes dead!
Attached pix...the one with the guardrail was with the Canon, the one with the white HD was a edited out of a GoPro movie using editing software

motorcycles and photography are great companions
hth

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
We use Canon power shot. Relatively inexpensive, Picture button can be triggered with glove, Surprisingly durable considering the abuse we put it through, Takes reasonable pics.
Good story:

Forward { We have sayings when we travel that mean something to us such as if I say "switching to alternate GPS" I mean I need to concentrate on traffic and I need you to look for (restaurant, hotel, attraction, etc,) Just tell me where to turn.}

So we pull in to St John's NL and, umm well we/I got lost and accidentally ended up on Jelly bean street. If you can imagine 5 roads converging in an intersection...ish with 2 stop signs, 2 yield and 1 uncontrolled, I was caught a bit off guard. traffic wasn't heavy but pedestrians were everywhere!

In a panicked voice I say " Switching to alternate GPS!" and without missing a beat a gleeful voice returns " alternate GPS offline....taking pictures!"

We got some great pictures!

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
I phone 6 +

Reactions: JayB and cycledude

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I have tried several ways of taking pictures and videos while I explore the back roads of the US. My current setup is a Contour HD mounted on the windscreen (See pic below and link to some sample footage). The key to this is that its very easy to turn the camera on and off as I want or need. I don't know if the contour is still being made but it can be found on eBay.

For still images, several years ago (well maybe 5 or so) I purchased a Fujifilm XP. Its buttons are a little small but they can be used with gloves if needed and its waterproof and shock resistant meaning it can be used in the rain or left out in the rain if you can't get it back into a cubby or wherever you have it stored. The fact that is was waterproof and the price was not bad were key points in my selection. I have included some sample pictures taken by my wife during a recent ride.

(Oh I just noticed I can't spell "Today". Will see if that can be fixed.).

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
The new phone cameras are amazing and with you all the time. Very convenient. When we go to the NHRA drag races, she catches the cars going 300mph with no problems with excellent clarity. So good in fact I just sold my Nikon d5600..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hannah uses her phone (Samsung Galaxy J7) which takes very good photos and she also uses my Nikon D3400 which takes better photos but is more cumbersome to use while we are riding. They are both digital. Once we return home, I download all the photos onto my computer. I then go thru them and delete the ones that are out of focus or blurry etc. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements (currently the 2019 version) to edit and then post some on Face Book. All photos are retained on one or more external hard drives.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
My wife uses her Pixel 3 - and has used her cell phone camera for a few years.

I use a Nikon Coolpix S4300. Costco back in 2013 or so had a deal on a pair of these cameras. I gave one of them to my dad as his first digital camera. Similar to the one @Bluehighways showed above.

So, six years, and I just replaced the rechargeable battery in it last year. Not bad, but would consider a superzoom version for my next camera choice.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
This was taken with a cheap (old Kodak) point and shoot camera. No t bad for 70mph.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We use Canon power shot. Relatively inexpensive, Picture button can be triggered with glove, Surprisingly durable considering the abuse we put it through, Takes reasonable pics.
Good story:

Forward { We have sayings when we travel that mean something to us such as if I say "switching to alternate GPS" I mean I need to concentrate on traffic and I need you to look for (restaurant, hotel, attraction, etc,) Just tell me where to turn.}

So we pull in to St John's NL and, umm well we/I got lost and accidentally ended up on Jelly bean street. If you can imagine 5 roads converging in an intersection...ish with 2 stop signs, 2 yield and 1 uncontrolled, I was caught a bit off guard. traffic wasn't heavy but pedestrians were everywhere!

In a panicked voice I say " Switching to alternate GPS!" and without missing a beat a gleeful voice returns " alternate GPS offline....taking pictures!"

We got some great pictures!
That's funny!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts