GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my VTX for a Wing. So on Monday I'll be heading up to Abernathy's in Union City to pick it Up. Used 2010 has 4717 miles on it so to me that's almost brand new. So now I guess the additions on it begin.

First question. My Vtx had floorboards and a big ol break pedal on it. Have alot switched there wing to floor boards and heel/toe shifter.

Second: Does it take long to get use to that break pedal or is there some type of mod that people do to give you a little more space to push down on.

OK Ok I'm the new kid now.:excited:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!!

I had floor boards and heel toe shifter on my 1200 and liked them on long trips but hated them when trying to ride twisties. Seemed they were always dragging. Now that I have the 1800 with no floor boards, I realize how much I disliked both the floor boards and heel toe shifter. The most noticable difference, for me, is that with the floor boards, I had to reach out over them with my short legs to get to the ground. I don't have that problem with the pegs. Guess that didn't answer your question though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Osduck5 for the into. I'm short legged so Maybe I had better just ride for a month or two before I get to happy with Mods. I do ride PGR and would like to get a hitch or some kind of flag mount to fly my large flag when riding PGR missions. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike, like you I came from a VTX and now can't imagine riding anything else. I switched to the heel toe shifter and the floor boards since I had got used to them on the X but also because the foot peg seemed to make the sole of my foot kind of sore after riding all day. Since having them on there I never use the Highway pegs anymore, I can just move my feet around to different positions. I am 6' and they work fine for me. When I pull up to park I raise the left one to make it easier to put the kick stand down but that isn't a issue for me. Good luck and welcome to the board as well :thumbup:.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on the wing. I also had a VTX 1800, and went to an 08 Wing. Best decision I ever made. The only difference besides the obvious (smoothness, handling, electronics, no wind, comfort) is the riding position, which is more upright with your feet more under you. Just a little getting used to. Not bad, just different and is more like the traditional touring bike.

I put tons o stuff on my bikes, and I had boards on both, Depending on how much you ride, the boards may or may not be for you. For me, the boards are the only way to go. The boards on the wing fold up, but once you get used to it, is really a better solution for short legged drivers. I ride long distances and I like having several different foot positions -I get happy feet wearing boots for long periods so it helps. The only complaint I had was I have a size 11 foot, so it was easy to knock the wing out of gear since my toe and heel shifter both hit the boot at the same time, and moving my foot sometimes had consequences. Kury solved the problem with an extension, which I promptly added.

I also have the Kury Highway boards.

As far as the brake, there is a Kury brake pedal add on, which I also added which is much better and the looks fit my 'upgraded' and customized look!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
First question. My Vtx had floorboards and a big ol break pedal on it. Have alot switched there wing to floor boards and heel/toe shifter.

Second: Does it take long to get use to that break pedal or is there some type of mod that people do to give you a little more space to push down on.

OK Ok I'm the new kid now.:excited:
Congrats on the wing;
I have two, one with boards one with pegs, like the pegs better (I am short leg also and it makes a difference).

Someone posted about the Kury stuff, my pegger has the Kury Pegs and brake arm, they look and feel much better than stock.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
you may not "need" the floorboards or heel/toe shifter-but whatever works the best for YOU-it IS your bike. I have seen some people put what I call a mini floorboard which really is an oversized peg--sort of half way b/t full floorboards and the stock pegs. I forget exactly what they are called but I think they look good on the wing.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Hi JR and welcome to the forum!

The first bike I ever had floor boards on was my '03 H-D Electra Glide (I had two GL1500s before that). They were nice, but I could never get use to the heel-toe shifter. My GL has the OEM foot pegs and I like them just fine. I also have the Kury highway pegs for when I want a different seating position or I want to stretch out a bit when I'm on the open road. For me this is all I need. I have a riding buddy with boards on his Wing and I always hear them dragging when we go out to ride the twisties.

I would suggest riding with the pegs for a few months til you get use to them and then decide if you want to go with the floor boards. Many try them and go back to pegs, but many like them. It's a personal preference.

Whatever you decide will be best for you. Enjoy the Wing!!

See ya out there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
The pegs were hard on my feet as well, after a long ride. I have what is best described as a half floor board. Think they are called halfwings,they may be Kury not sure. They are very comfortable, big enough to move your foot around but still be able to put your feet down without trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts