GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first installment of behind the scenes "how we do our business". This information is from the "House of Shinhopples" and nobody else. We did not ask nor do we desire input from other vendors. We are all independent dealers and have our own policies and procedures on how we run our business.

Let's start with some Myths:

a. There is no such thing as Free Shipping! When USPS, UPS, FEDEX and any of the other carriers stop charging for their services, then perhaps "Free Shipping" could and would exist. A better term for "Free Shipping" on all of these sites would be more accurate if stated "Shipping Included". However this would confuse the customer even further and make them angrier than all get out. Folks like to see "Free Shipping" and leave with the incorrect perception, that they received some value for free. The actual cost of an item is that sum of money that it takes to get an item into your home/hands. Example: Item X costs $20 + $5 shipping = $25. Same Scenario, Item X costs $25 and you receive free shipping. Get my point?

b. Canadian customers get ripped off with shipping from the States. The truth is, you are paying a higher total rate for shipping as the Laws of Your Country require you pay Taxes that we do not pay in the States. We charge actual shipping charges for the parcels heading to Canada. In order to charge actual$$$, we have to either ship the parcel first or make 2 trips to the post office with the same parcel and then, make the deal through several Emails or phone calls back & forth. This is cumbersome, but it protects the purchaser and the seller alike. We do not set the actual shipping rates to Canada, we just collect it! When you are quoted $10 actual shipping, then the stamps on the package should reflect $10 + or - a dollar. No secrets, no conspiracies.

c. Vendors make more money on shipping than they do on the product. Every year that I have been in business (7 years), we lose a few hundred dollars on shipping on average. Impossible to get the shipping cost down to the penny as orders can be simple or complex. Until the item(s) have been actually shipped, the actual cost can't be determined. With UPS it is even worse, as after they state the charges and the item is shipped, they can and do add additional charges to your weekly statement well after the package has left the shipping dock. Shipping charges are not only derived from shipping weight, but also dimensional size. So a 24 X 24 X 8 box that weighs 18 LBS can be charged at 30 LBS just because of the Dimensional weight rules. (tires, windshields & large boxes as an example).

Real Deal:

Every vendor can set their shipping charges on their sites in many ways.

We at Shinhopples use an "Order Price" table, as that is what our web site allows and works for us.

Our charges are as follows:

$0 -$15 = $5.55 (we just made this category 2 months ago after listening to our customers).

$15 - $25 = $7.45,

$25 - $50 = $9.45,

$50 - $75 = $10.45,

$75 - $100 =$11.45,

$100 -$175 = $14.45,

$175 - $$$$$$$$ = Free

To do the shipping charges any other way, we would have to have the exact weight and dimension of every product that we sell. Then we would have to have the software that can compute multiple items of different sizes and weights that are going into 1 or more boxes. Then we would have to maintain the table and make changes for every item that the dimension of the package or weight would change. We do not have the software to accomplish this and the task would be daunting.

Drop Shipping: Sometimes it behooves us to drop ship from a Distribution Center(DC). We would do this only when all items of the order can be fulfilled from that single DC. If the entire order must come out of several DC's, it becomes cost prohibitive. The Vendors charge us a "Drop Ship" fee for each order and DC. They then charge us a UPS fee which is generally at a higher tariff than if we shipped from our own account.

Each Carrier has a minimum weight and size charge. Hence, you can purchase 1 ping pong ball and shipping will be $5.50. Purchase 24 ping pong balls and your shipping will be $5.50. Now go ahead and purchase 26 ping pong balls and shipping will be $7.50. So you can see how it works! (we don't sell ping pong balls....LOL)

We have been asked, "Why can't you put that little ball bearing in an Letter Envelope and ship it to me for $0.50 cents". It just can't work that way to maintain any order and guaranty delivery to the customer. I could ask you, "Why don't you just drive up to my shop, pick up the item, pay the NYS sales tax, but save the shipping cost"? Some things just don't make sense.

What constitutes shipping costs? Labor, Transportation costs to carrier when necessary, Postage Labels w/Delivery confirmation, Packing material, Tape, Fragile & ORM-D stickers and finally actual carrier charges. As an "Eco - Friendly" facility, we do try to recycle as much packing material as possible and utilize whatever boxes that the carrier will provide to us free of charge (box sizes are very small and limited USPS & UPS). A tire box cost $4.00, if we do not ship tires in a box, we are fined $8.00 from UPS, each incident, as we do not qualify to ship with "cardboard tire rounds" nor "clear wrap".

I understand that everyone wants top value for their buck. We try to provide that for you. We do what we can to provide the lowest price possible and we do a good job of it.

We bust our butts to be lower priced than the "Big Guys" and we do that as well.

And finally we do everything that we can do to keep "Shipping Realistic", and we do a good job of that as well.

Remember: The actual cost of an item, is the total price of the product + shipping, delivered to your destination.

A customer that is informed, makes a better customer!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Good information and I like the fact that you don't play games. To me a good deal is a FAIR deal - for both sides - not just the cheapest. "Free shipping" is a marketing ploy and it works. Just like stored marking prices as 10 for $20 instead of simply saying $2 each - I've caught myself putting 10 items in my cart when I could have used 4 or 5. Simple power of suggestion. When I compare I always look at TOTAL price, along with the reputation of the company and I'll always pay a little more (but most times it's the same or less) to do business with a good company with a good business philosophy like Shinhopples! :thumbup:

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can explain shipping however you wish but it isn't difficult for me to compare the final cost between vendors. And sometimes I will buy from the more expensive vendor just because I want to support them. ( That is if they are only a few bucks more) If I am really trying to save a few bucks I buy from a vendor out of California to save the sales tax. Advertising "Free shipping" doesn't matter one way or the other. What matters is what the bottom line says before I hit the order button. Seems pretty simple to me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This is my first installment of behind the scenes "how we do our business". This information is from the "House of Shinhopples" and nobody else. We did not ask nor do we desire input from other vendors. We are all independent dealers and have our own policies and procedures on how we run our business.

Let's start with some Myths:

a. There is no such thing as Free Shipping! When USPS, UPS, FEDEX and any of the other carriers stop charging for their services, then perhaps "Free Shipping" could and would exist. A better term for "Free Shipping" on all of these sites would be more accurate if stated "Shipping Included". However this would confuse the customer even further and make them angrier than all get out. Folks like to see "Free Shipping" and leave with the incorrect perception, that they received some value for free. The actual cost of an item is that sum of money that it takes to get an item into your home/hands. Example: Item X costs $20 + $5 shipping = $25. Same Scenario, Item X costs $25 and you receive free shipping. Get my point?

b. Canadian customers get ripped off with shipping from the States. The truth is, you are paying a higher total rate for shipping as the Laws of Your Country require you pay Taxes that we do not pay in the States. We charge actual shipping charges for the parcels heading to Canada. In order to charge actual$$$, we have to either ship the parcel first or make 2 trips to the post office with the same parcel and then, make the deal through several Emails or phone calls back & forth. This is cumbersome, but it protects the purchaser and the seller alike. We do not set the actual shipping rates to Canada, we just collect it! When you are quoted $10 actual shipping, then the stamps on the package should reflect $10 + or - a dollar. No secrets, no conspiracies.

c. Vendors make more money on shipping than they do on the product. Every year that I have been in business (7 years), we lose a few hundred dollars on shipping on average. Impossible to get the shipping cost down to the penny as orders can be simple or complex. Until the item(s) have been actually shipped, the actual cost can't be determined. With UPS it is even worse, as after they state the charges and the item is shipped, they can and do add additional charges to your weekly statement well after the package has left the shipping dock. Shipping charges are not only derived from shipping weight, but also dimensional size. So a 24 X 24 X 8 box that weighs 18 LBS can be charged at 30 LBS just because of the Dimensional weight rules. (tires, windshields & large boxes as an example).

Real Deal:

Every vendor can set their shipping charges on their sites in many ways.

We at Shinhopples use an "Order Price" table, as that is what our web site allows and works for us.

Our charges are as follows:

$0 -$15 = $5.55 (we just made this category 2 months ago after listening to our customers).

$15 - $25 = $7.45,

$25 - $50 = $9.45,

$50 - $75 = $10.45,

$75 - $100 =$11.45,

$100 -$175 = $14.45,

$175 - $$$$$$$$ = Free

To do the shipping charges any other way, we would have to have the exact weight and dimension of every product that we sell. Then we would have to have the software that can compute multiple items of different sizes and weights that are going into 1 or more boxes. Then we would have to maintain the table and make changes for every item that the dimension of the package or weight would change. We do not have the software to accomplish this and the task would be daunting.

Drop Shipping: Sometimes it behooves us to drop ship from a Distribution Center(DC). We would do this only when all items of the order can be fulfilled from that single DC. If the entire order must come out of several DC's, it becomes cost prohibitive. The Vendors charge us a "Drop Ship" fee for each order and DC. They then charge us a UPS fee which is generally at a higher tariff than if we shipped from our own account.

Each Carrier has a minimum weight and size charge. Hence, you can purchase 1 ping pong ball and shipping will be $5.50. Purchase 24 ping pong balls and your shipping will be $5.50. Now go ahead and purchase 26 ping pong balls and shipping will be $7.50. So you can see how it works! (we don't sell ping pong balls....LOL)

We have been asked, "Why can't you put that little ball bearing in an Letter Envelope and ship it to me for $0.50 cents". It just can't work that way to maintain any order and guaranty delivery to the customer. I could ask you, "Why don't you just drive up to my shop, pick up the item, pay the NYS sales tax, but save the shipping cost"? Some things just don't make sense.

What constitutes shipping costs? Labor, Transportation costs to carrier when necessary, Postage Labels w/Delivery confirmation, Packing material, Tape, Fragile & ORM-D stickers and finally actual carrier charges. As an "Eco - Friendly" facility, we do try to recycle as much packing material as possible and utilize whatever boxes that the carrier will provide to us free of charge (box sizes are very small and limited USPS & UPS). A tire box cost $4.00, if we do not ship tires in a box, we are fined $8.00 from UPS, each incident, as we do not qualify to ship with "cardboard tire rounds" nor "clear wrap".

I understand that everyone wants top value for their buck. We try to provide that for you. We do what we can to provide the lowest price possible and we do a good job of it.

We bust our butts to be lower priced than the "Big Guys" and we do that as well.

And finally we do everything that we can do to keep "Shipping Realistic", and we do a good job of that as well.

Remember: The actual cost of an item, is the total price of the product + shipping, delivered to your destination.

A customer that is informed, makes a better customer!
It's not the shipping so much that we here in Canada get screwed on it's the brokerage fees that we get hit with after it lands.You never know what the end result will be.Sometimes it's bad.I see some e-bay stores will now show the brokerage fees so you actually know where you stand before committing.I don't order anything out of the States unless my buddy brings it home for me after it's shipped to his Florida address.Just not worth it otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts