GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam. I've had the chance to sit on both a 2018 as well as a 2019 Goldwing Tour. (No test drives yet, it's winter here in Ontario, Canada). I find my knees are almost touching the fairing, and that the riding position would be a bit tight for my liking, perhaps even uncomfortable. My 2012 fits me very well (but I will be adding Kuryaking pegs (Ergo III) this spring.
I've done a lot of reading/research on the new Wing, and am very impressed.
Out the door pricing (bike+tax+license) will be around $38,000.00 (Canadian). So that's a fair chunk of change for anyone.
So I'm looking to hear from tall, long legged owners/riders of the 2018/19 Goldwing.

1. Just how ergonomically comfortable is the stock bike for you?
2. What types of mods have you already done to make it more comfortable?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam. No leg problems. No highway pegs or other foot or seat position mods. Knees are close up front but no problem. Just stretch out your legs a few times every hour. Handlebars are fine.

You will need a taller & wider windshield. I bought a 24" F4 and I look over it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam. No leg problems. No highway pegs or other foot or seat position mods. Knees are close up front but no problem. Just stretch out your legs a few times every hour. Handlebars are fine.

You will need a taller & wider windshield. I bought a 24" F4 and I look over it.
What he said. 6'4" 35 inseam. no issues. plenty of room. still have standard shield on mine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 6'5", 36" inseam, and I just sent my seat to Seth Laam and asked him to move me back about 1/2" and possibly raise me up about 1". My knees were close to the fairing, but once I put rivco pegs and a drivers backrest, it helped being able to stretch out. I also installed the Helibar risers and an F4 20" wide shield, which I love.

Ride safe,
Pikester

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
6'3" with a 34" inseam and bad knees. I too found both the 2015 and 2018 a bit cramped.

On the 2015, I had a Russell Day-Long saddle made which positions me 2 inches back and 2 inches higher. I also put on a set of RoadSmith Comfort Controls which positioned the rider foot pegs, brake pedal and foot shifter 3 inches forward. The combination of both greatly reduced knee bend and gave me more room in the saddle.

As for my 2018 Gold Wing Tour Airbag, I have a build date of 6 March for my Russell Day-Long saddle, and it too will position me 2 inches further back in he saddle and 2 inches higher. I am also adding a set of Mic-O-Pegs so I can stretch out on the highways. To date, RoadSmith does not make comfort controls for the 2018/2019, but it should not be too difficult especially on the DCT models. So hopefully they produce comfort controls for the new wings in the near future.

Reactions: The Cottager

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I am 6' 3" and 34" inseam. Not cramped on 2018. I did add Mic-O-Pegs for comfort and the tallest F4 that has the upswept top. I need an aftermarket seat, but not due to size, the OE seat is just uncomfortable for me.

prs

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am 6’4” 235lbs...have 2018 DCT...very comfy for me....installed Kuryaken foot rests in place of OEM and installed Utopia back rest and Rivco highway pegs.....the rivcos were a “ must” for me personally..being able to stretch legs and change positions on long rides is important to me.

Sent seat to Wing Soft to have it reworked.....much better than OEM...

Knees close to fairing but really no problem at all...I find the bike very comfy and an absolute pleasure to ride....I am also an Indian Roadmaster owner/rider....the 18 GW back brake pedal is not as well located as on HD nor Indians and it is very small and not as convenient to use right foot position wise..and I am going to adjust it up about 1/4” to see if this makes a difference..

All in all I really enjoy riding the 18 GW and I am a tall big guy...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am also 6’3”. My knees brushed against the fairing occasionally. Wingsoft moved me back just enough. However, my inseam is short for my height, so you may be different. The riding position is fine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm 6'5", 36" inseam, and I just sent my seat to Seth Laam and asked him to move me back about 1/2" and possibly raise me up about 1". My knees were close to the fairing, but once I put rivco pegs and a drivers backrest, it helped being able to stretch out. I also installed the Helibar risers and an F4 20" wide shield, which I love.

Ride safe,
Pikester

How is the 20" F4 Customs for your height ? I'm 6'4" and I would like a wider shield as well as the extra protection from wind buffeting. Do you feel your F4 does a good job eliminating the buffeting?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm 6-0 maybe 32 inseam. I do well, feet flat on the ground, but almost full stretch. Would like a bit narrow seat, maybe a little shorter.
But otherwise I dont use highway pegs. after about 2 hours without a wallet in the back pocket, I start to feel it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im 6ft 4in, 36 leg. I just traded my 2015 F6B for the 2018 Air Bag. I do find the new model less comfortable, especially the seat. Its very hard! This year I will upgrade to something less irritating to those long ride hemeroids! I found I sit on the back step of the seat when I am alone on long hauls. The back rest helps when the wife is with me.
I am looking at options for highway pegs but haven't found anything I like yet for the right price. I think that will help.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Hi The Cottager,

We would highly recommend our 3-Way Adjustable Highway Peg Mounts as they are the best looking and most comfortable highway peg system on the market for 2018-newer Gold Wings. They are easy to install and fully adjustable. With over 40 positions, you’re guaranteed to be riding in comfort with your height!

Check them out: https://www.ciro3d.com/goldstrikeproducts/3-way-adjustable-highway-peg-mounts

Learn how to install them here: https://youtu.be/Fu3a7IkZZ4M

Let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help!

Thank you!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts