GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie on the board; so, I apologize beforehand if this question has already been discussed.

I am currently looking to move up to a tourer and have been researching Honda, Harley, etc. on the internet including forums such as this one. I recently visited one of the local dealerships to look at the GL1800 for the first time and really became interested in the level 2 model (audio/comfort) model. Very nice and, more importantly, the wife was impressed, as well. But when I climbed aboard and placed my feet on the pegs, being 6'4", I felt that my legs were forced down and back somewhat. Not exactly a comfortable position (at least for me).

Sure would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Randy,
Welcome to the best group of Wingers.

You're not the first tall person that has faced this situation. Basically, you have 2 options, or the combination of options. You can buy a nice aftermarket seat and or a set of highway pegs that allow you to stretch your legs once on the road.

There are several optional highway pegs to fit a riders personal comfort needs.

Personally, I would recommend that you look at other peoples Wings. There are lots of pictures and I'm sure someone else that is tall like you can contribute to your questions.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
If Bartman can make it work, so can you. Just have the credit cards empty and ready to go. :lol: Your inseam length is more important than your height when making decisions. For reference, in my post, the inseam is from my crotch to ankle which is what Diamond Seats asks for. Russel Day Long measures theirs differently. My inseam is 32 1/2 and I wear 34 jeans.

The seats that will help you the most will be either Diamond or Hartco [both owned by same guy,] and Russell Day Long. These companies can move them back and up. Wingsoft modifies the stock seat, is much less expensive and has a 98% satisfaction rate even with longer legged riders. They are not capable of moving the seating position as far as the others though, so make sure of how much movement you will want before you order from them. All three companies are great to work with...if you are the type of person who is great to work with. :lol:

Once you have the seat, then think about pegs. **** O Pegs will allow you to stretch out your feet more than any other. Many of us use Kuryakyn pegs on the vertical bars with MOPs on the horizontal.

Then you may need handlebar risers. REG makes the most adjustable risers, Kurys are adjustable as well although in a different manner than REG. MBL has two different styles but do not move the handlebars as much as the other two.

This is just an abridged version of what's in the "Getting Comfortable" post. Enjoy your reading and all of us long legged riders will be glad to help as you go along with your research.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I"m 6'5" 280.. It can be done.. ;) seat, peg relo kit to move them forward, handlebar risers to bring them out and up and back a bit.. Various variations on highway pegs. I suppose you can do it on the larger Harleys, but they seemed tiny to me after riding a wing.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
It really comes down to inseam length. Height is only important if it translates to long inseams. I'm 6'4" with a 38" inseam. The only way I could get comfortable was with a custom seat and mic o pegs. The K/A version. Used some risers on the bars and now it's acceptable but not what I would like. Like everything, it's made for that average rider as to stature.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Randy,

I made nearly all the modification that Dan recommended to make my '05 GL1800 comfortable for my 6'5" 265 lb 34" inseam frame, (I went with the Russell Day Long seat in my case). I am very comfortable on the Wing, in fact even more comfortable than I am in my '03 Honda Accord. My biggest problem is looking for gas after riding 400+ miles non-stop. I carry 11.7 gallon of fuel, don't like to put my feet down anymore than I have to and prefer "Scenic Outlooks" over gas stations for rest stops.

I did rent a Harley Fat Boy for a 4 day weekend about the same time I bought the Wing. I found it surprisingly comfortable for my size with the stock configuration. It would have required a better seat for extended rides, but the stock seating position was great once the HD rental dealer adjusted the handlebars for my reach.

My wife on the other hand made it very clear that she would not be happy with ANYTHING except the GL1800 Rear Seat, (she spent 2 days on the Fat Boy).

I would not have been happy with the performance of the HD, but still enjoyed putting a little over 1,000 miles on it in 4 days. There was just something very relaxing about riding that V-Twin up Pacific Coast Highway! Potato Potato Potato...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ditto on what the other reply's say. I'm 6'4" and found that after 30 minutes of riding the stock bike my lower back started to hurt. Following the recommendations on this forum, I installed a taller seat that also moved me back a bit (Hartco), Reg Risers to raise the handle bars and Mic-o-pegs to strech the legs while riding. Transformation complete, no back pain and I can ride all day with a :D on my face. Easily do 13 hour day cross country rides.
Shame you have to modify a new bike to make it fit. But it's worth it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm 6'4" with an inseam of 36". We took a trip of 2500 miles last June and while my butt was getting tired, I can't really say I had any leg problems at all. At the time I didn't even have any highway pegs. After riding a cruiser for several months before the wing, the peg configuration didn't feel right at first. It only took a few rides to find out this was by far better than a cruiser. You might not even need any mods to make it comfortable. Good luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I love posts like this; I don't feel so alone...

I always advise a tall guy to try on as many products as possible before a purchase. Took me and Dan alot of trial and error before we got comfortable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my question. Some good tips and information came back and it's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:

Bill,
There may be other tall riders out there.....but you are still "one of a kind" :)

And I mean that in the best way possible :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
trialsman said:
Arn Butt Bill said:

Bill,
There may be other tall riders out there.....but you are still "one of a kind" :)

And I mean that in the best way possible :)

Yea.......we love ya Squirrel!!! :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts