GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, someone posted a link for a windshield that is 4" taller than stock & lists for $149.95. If anyone remembers, can you post it again?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Get a Tulsa !!!

b][/b]You will be doing yourself a favor by getting a Tulsa. The very best in quality & workmanship. Allen & his crew are GREAT to work with. You will be one happy camper with a Tulsa !!!!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Do you mean this one? It is 4" taller and costs $149.00. Plus, the windshield height adjusters are still functional with this one. (One well-known brand of shield doesn't work with the adjusters.)

Clearview is one option. This is from an email from them, that I received just today. I had a Clearview on a previous Honda, and was pleased with it.

www.clearviewshields.com

HON-G804 / Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +4" Tall +1.5" wider each side

Clearview Shields now manufactures stock and oversized replacements for the Honda GL1800. All screens are constructed of .177" thick High Impact strength plastic. Contoured to match the stock screen with all stock adjustments intact. Stock height as well as shorter than stock options are among your choices of heights. We also have developed a Grand Tour model which is 3.5" taller than stock and 1.5" wider on each side. Any replacement is available in clear or light gray tint, and can be modified to your exact dimensional needs, within reason.

HON-G800 Honda GL1800 Stock $132.20
HON-G802 Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +2" Tall +1.5" wider each side $132.20
HON-G804 Honda GL1800 Grand Tour +4" Tall +1.5" wider each side $149.14
HON-G80S Honda GL1800 Short -1.5" height +1.5" each side $127.45

Prices include shipping within the 48 contiguous United States

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Ummm, their 4" taller unit is a bit more than $149.[/quote]

yes but for the extra $30 or so you get the vent which in my opinion is a good thing

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
yes but for the extra $30 or so you get the vent which in my opinion is a good thing
Being able to *close* the vent would be even better yet. How much more does that cost? :duck:

G

·
0 Posts
Being able to *close* the vent would be even better yet. How much more does that cost? :duck:[/quote]

can you say DUCT TAPE :roll:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Jim McCarty said:
Thanks for the replys. Clearview is the one I was thinking of.
You're welcome Jim. I will be buying a tall one for myself in the near future (if I can't find someone wanting to sell me a used one.)

Clearview is a good company to deal with. :s27: I've bought from them in the past. I like how their shield looks similar (in style) to the stock shield.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
mrgl02 said:
Javern said:
Being able to *close* the vent would be even better yet. How much more does that cost? :duck:
Closing the vent on a CB defeats the purpose of the vent. The vent lets air in to equalize pressure. About 4 inches before it hits the helmet, it dissipates and goes over the head. Close it and it will increase the buffeting. Any rain coming in goes over the head with the wind.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
ddking said:
Closing the vent on a CB defeats the purpose of the vent. The vent lets air in to equalize pressure. About 4 inches before it hits the helmet, it dissipates and goes over the head. Close it and it will increase the buffeting. Any rain coming in goes over the head with the wind.
Understood. I've experienced this before. Now, how do I close it when it is 10 or 15 degrees out?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
mrgl02 said:
ddking said:
Understood. I've experienced this before. Now, how do I close it when it is 10 or 15 degrees out?
No need. Closing still would defeat the purpose. The air from the vent goes over the head. It does not hit you. I found this out by putting my hand in front of the vent to find out where the air went. The pressure was constant and disappeared about 4 inches in front of my face. It goes up into the lower air pressure caused by the windshield "stretching" the air going over it. This is the same principle that makes an airplane wing lift a plane. [Bernouli's Principle.] The air going over the curved, top of the wing has to travel further than the air going over the bottom, flat part of the wing. Stretching the air lowers the pressure [partial vacuum] which draws higher pressured air to itself. On the CB the higher pressured air is the air coming through the vent, in a more direct route. When it hits the vacuum created by the lower pressure, it goes there. So wet, dry, hot, or cold, it doesn't hit your face. Cool! [Or Warm?]

·
Registered
285 Posts
So, Dan, can we assume that the vent in the stock 2004 windshield will offer the same benefits regarding turbulence and wind noise reduction?

- Dave

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
RoadSurfer said:
So, Dan, can we assume that the vent in the stock 2004 windshield will offer the same benefits regarding turbulence and wind noise reduction?

- Dave
Don't know for sure. You could try aiming it up at different angles. Read what CB says about their vent. I don't know if it would be better than a Honda vent at a particular angle or not. I do know CBs work and why. Anybody with an 04 that can answer that?

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/gl1800ws.html

·
Registered
441 Posts
RoadSurfer said:

- Dave
Dave,
The '04 vent closes the small flap that allows air to be directed to your face or chest but when it's closed there is still an openning at the top of the assembly that allows air to do just what Dan was talking about. It is next to the windshield and there is ALWAYS air moving along the rider side of the windshield when you are moving. You can't feel this since it's directed up and flow with the windshield.

Long story, short... Yes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
mrgl02 said:
One well-known brand of shield doesn't work with the adjusters.
Not wishing to start a s..t fight, but it would be helpfull to mention which one.

I just checked the Tulsa one on their website and HDL and they don't say if it does or doesn't adjust.

Had the bike only a few weeks and Momma put here foot down about the wind on her face yesterday. It's a taller windshield or ride alone as she got very pink cheeks from windburn. <g>

So now you have tossed a rock in the pond and I am nervous about which/who's to get.

FTW

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The '04 vent closes the small flap that allows air to be directed to your face or chest but when it's closed there is still an openning at the top of the assembly that allows air to do just what Dan was talking about. It is next to the windshield and there is ALWAYS air moving along the rider side of the windshield when you are moving. You can't feel this since it's directed up and flow with the windshield.

Long story, short... Yes.
Does doing this actually send the air higher over your head than when the vent is open? For it to work this way, there must be more pressure on the passenger side of the shield than on the outside. If so, would this work with Tulsa's or any shield that has a vent?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i understand the idea of the cee bailey vents and why they work well in the summertime

i had a st1100 with the cat eyes in the clearview, it helped with fog and condensation quite well

and did let some flow in when its hot weather

but it also let in the cold when it was cold weather

theres definately a reason to have a vent that closes if you choose to have a vent

i am still deciding if i want to have a vent or not

loren

1 - 20 of 20 Posts