GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6 foot 5 with a 37 inch inside leg. Any other giants out there managing to get comfortable on a 2018+ wing ?
I dont have a Wing but my Africa Twin Adventure and 250 CRF Rally both fit me fine, but they have VERY tall seats and the seat shape (bench like) allows me to slide back onto the passenger seat.
On my previous BMW bikes I had lowered footrests or on my Concours I had a thicker seat made.
My Africa Twin is a lot lighter than a GW but it carries its weight much higher - and with a giant on top that makes for a pretty high centre of gravity. The Wings low C of G and reverse gear might be kinder for my 67 year old body - if it fits !

·
Registered
361 Posts
Finally, another normal sized rider!

I too have an issue with fitting but at least I have one less inch than you in the inseam. I also have a ”short arms“curse so setting back further than stock is a problem with my Ultimate Tall seat. This setup helps some with the leg fit but required the bar back SST kit.
so, an Ultimate tall seat and the bar back kit from Heli bars is what I recommend for us normal sized riders yet there is only so much room available.
My knees still touch the fairing if I slide forward just a smidge but setting up straight ‘as I should’ it is all day comfortable. A little pricey but to me, Worth it!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I am not as tall as you but had the same problem until I had Russell Day Long make a custom saddle

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and 36" arms. I have the stock seat and have added the Show Chrome backrest and beachcomber boards to help. This helped but it still isn't as comfortable as I had made my previous Harleys to be. There just isn't the choice for bars, highway pegs/boards, seats, etc that there is for Harleys. The backrest I have does seem to be a quality made piece but doesn't have enough backward adjustment for tall riders. I'm going to take a grinder to mine to see if I can fix that. I think the Utopia has more adjustment but I don't have experience with that one. As far as highway pegs/boards I went with, the beachcomber boards helped tremendously as they are very comfortable for me, but you have to be careful not to scrape them in curves. Most of the risers you will find will pull the bars back closer to you which would make things worse for a tall long armed rider. I've only seen one brand of aftermarket bars available, the Helibars, But I can't get past the looks or the cost. There are no other options for bars that I know of. If you have a friend that has a 2018+ Wing you might want to see if they would let you take an extended test ride to see if you think you could make it fit you. This is by far the smoothest motorcycle I've ever owned and the DCT rocks, but I've only managed to make it almost comfortable. I still feel somewhat cramped on longer rides.

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Several of us here in Texas ride with our friend Tall Bill who now lives in Kerrville. Bill is 6'7" tall and rides both a GL1800 trike and a 2018 Goldwing. He doesn't read this forum, but perhaps some of his friends might read his mind about his seat issues. I personally am not aware of any changes, but if a new seat or bars were installed, one of our members who will read this thread would have been involved in any modifications.

Another friend is 6'5" and had John Conley of Wingsoft modify the seat on his 2007 Wing for more comfort.

Glen

·
Registered
942 Posts
Corbin saddle sets you back as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
If I were 6'5" I would ride a BMW

·
Premium Member
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag TRiO
120 Posts
I am 6'2", 34 inseam, 35 sleeves. I installed Helibar risers and Goldstrike highway pegs. It helps. I installed a WildAss seat pad which raises me a bit and helps. I still feel cramped coming from a BMW R1200 GS Adventure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 6' 5" at 67 years with 36" inseam. Wingsoft seat modification gave me a scooch more room. I seem to fit just fine on my 2018 Wing for over 55k miles so far. I can ride all day but I do stop about every 100 miles to stretch my legs. Forward pegs give me a different position now and then but they are not as comfortable as the old Harley forward pegs where the seat was designed for that position.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that bike seats need to allow more rearward movement. Can you imagine having a car seat that didnt slide fore and aft.
Tall riders have no problem flatfooting but getting a bike to fit is not easy. To say that a Wing is too small may sound odd, but its seat is 745mm compared to myAfrica Twins 920mm, thats 175mm (7 inches) lower.
Having a high ride position does give you a feel good factor. With my height and the seat height I can see way over a line of cars !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Being a 68 year old 6'8' rider, I feel like a monkey on a football sitting a friend's 2018 Goldwing.
I will stay with my '05 GW with Ultimate "King" seat, Helibars, and Roadsmith lowering kit.
I too have a '07 GSA and sometimes feel I need a ladder to get off of it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am 6 foot 5 with a 37 inch inside leg. Any other giants out there managing to get comfortable on a 2018+ wing ?
I dont have a Wing but my Africa Twin Adventure and 250 CRF Rally both fit me fine, but they have VERY tall seats and the seat shape (bench like) allows me to slide back onto the passenger seat.
On my previous BMW bikes I had lowered footrests or on my Concours I had a thicker seat made.
My Africa Twin is a lot lighter than a GW but it carries its weight much higher - and with a giant on top that makes for a pretty high centre of gravity. The Wings low C of G and reverse gear might be kinder for my 67 year old body - if it fits !

You make me sick !!!! I'm only 5'7".

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I'm 6'3, 34 inch inseam. I also have the Show Chrome back rest and Beachcomer pegs and floorboards. I put the Helibars extension on for the handlebars. I find the bike very comfortable. I also use a Wild Ass Seat cushion for long rides. I am able to ride all day with no issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lowers 1.5" and moves the foot boards and brake levers about 2"
Just installed a set on a tall rider's wing.
Bit of a PITA

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Goldstrike road pegs, helibar risers and a backrest for me. While it seems counterintuitive to move your handlebars up and back if you're tall - it makes a positive difference.

Reactions: drwerner

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies to my original post. It looks like all tall riders need to modify the Wing to get comfortable then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts