GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying my first Wing (I'll be picking it up from Hal and Chris's Shadyside store in April and riding it back here to WA... can't wait). I'd like a tank bag for both additional storage and map/direction holding capability. Hal stocks the Sargent Universal Super Bag (SAR-LB122101). Anyone use this on their Wings? Pro's/Con's... or other recommended tank bags for the GW. Thanks in advance. I've been reading this board daily since Oct as I've prepared to buy this bike... it's like a family atmosphere here. Thanks again....Bill

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bill - tank bags are certainly great to have and this one your looking at seems to be a nice one although I haven't seen this first hand to give you an actual accessment of how well it works on a 1800. One consideration to remember is that on a tank bag with the 1800 your most likely to be resting it over the radio control buttons and knobs so you have to be careful about the overall weight and not pushing buttons and changing settings as you drive along your route. Your also over the gas tank door, but mine slides easily out of the way for refueling.

I have the Marsee Tang bag which I bought for around $85. and it's quite nice, very adequate and works for the needs I have for it. It's also capable of holding far more items than I can put in it now with the button problem I mentioned above, so I usually only have a map route or directions, a water bottle, my camera and some trail mix and that's it to keep the weight down.

Ultimately I will make a acrylic platform to lay over my controls to provide some protection and allow a 1 inch space between the bag and the bike and then I can pack more items if I want.

Mostly, I like a tank bag to allow you access to either a paper map to look at in route (besides a GPS) and/or quick access to a camera, water and/or food without gettting of the bike everytime.

Good luck with your choice,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use the RKA 3L bag. Small enough to not be in the way. All I carry in it is my "road food" my camera and my MP3 player.

I keep it loose enough to move it around a little when I want to get to the radio controls. Not too difficult to unclip it when I need to refuel. Making one of the "key knobs" definitely made that process easier!!

Sorry, don't have a picture of it on my wing, here is the one from their web site

Cost was $55.
Here is the link to their site
http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/08tnkbag/tank.html

The Marsee above looks pretty nice too. But then the bigger it is, the more crap I'll stuff in it, so I better just stick with the one I have!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
From the sublime to the ridiculous - have you thought about a GPS system? They usually take the place of a map, at least for relatively compressed miles ahead. I have mine set so it shows about 20 miles ahead, but it can be easily changed to show more of the landscape, if desired. Not a cheap alternative, but I prefer it to having a map stuck in front of me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob,
Yes, I have thought of a GPS but not smart enough yet to know if there's one out there that meets my needs. I'm doing all my trip planning on MS Streets and Trips. If there was a way to download an entire trip from my PC to the GPS, (I've got a 10,000 loop of the US planned for the summer) ...with every turn and place I want to see, and just have it tell me when to turn (and do it thru the headset).... if there was a way to do that, I'd get the GPS and just take the maps along as backup. There may very well be something out there that does that, I'm just not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bob - I have both the Tank bag and also a SPIII and use them both on long trips. Even though I have my routes programmed into the GPS, I also like to keep a map of the region I'm in and get a larger picture of where I'm traveling and all I have to do is glance downward while traveling or more likely study it in detail at stops. You can never have too much information when your traveling on a Wing, although I haven't felt a need to have 2 GPS systems on board like I've seen on some of the avid long distance motorcyclists.

DaleC

·
Registered
533 Posts
Saddlebags and Trunk

Bill,
My wife and I have been riding Goldwings for a long time. The two of us do two or three trips each year that approach three weeks, in addition to several 4 to 7 day numbers.

We use the two saddlebags and trunk for all our stuff. We have a luggage rack, but only use it to put on extra stuff we buy on the trip.

I just don't understand the extra storage space some people seem to need, but that is their business. But, since you are a new guy, you may be able to start out without all the extra space, most of which just slows you down and in some cases gives you the limitations that cars have.

Eventhough I have a GPS gizmo on my boat, I can't see a reason for one on the bike (call me basic).

However, on HondaDirect site (yep, our sponsor) they have a map pocket that is made for the 1800 and connects over the radio for $11.50. With a little velcro engineering, you can lift it for any changes you may want to make to the audio system. Here is a site that has some same gadget bags for the front fairing pockets of the wing, but you shouldn't need any of them: www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm High quality stuff, but you don't really need any of it (well, there might be something you need, but see below).

Otherwise, I just have this advice. Don't buy all the stuff that everyone else tells you that you need, during the first year (except for Baker Wings for your mirrors). You will figure out what, if any special stuff that you need to make your bike more functional or better serve your particular needs.

Ride it like you stole it and the last things you will need are a backrest and a cup holder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts