GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I would love to be able to put a tank bag on mine when my wife and I do overnighters. Unforunately, the only kind I will consider is a magnetic mount. They don't work very well on plastic.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I got wind that lewis at EC is going to have one shortly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Tour Master for trips over 1 week long and a Nelson Riggs for short ones and love both of them. I have over 31,000 miles on them. I don't ride over night without one. Borrow one and try it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have an old ECLIPSE tank bag i've been using for many years.
It has a universal front harness that goes around the neck of the motorcycle,then has clips to the front of the bag.
The rear has a strap that fastens under the seat & clips to the rear of the bag. Unfortunately the rear strap cannot be mounted on the 1800 or the 1500 either for that matter.
I just secure the rear of the bag with bungee cords to the rider foot pegs, & unhook fromt the top rear when gassing.
The bag has a foam pad on the underside & hasn't scratched my paint yet in over 25 yrs. of use on 6 different motorcycles.
Bag has a large,expandible center compartment, 2 side pockets. Doesn't interfere with steering, & comes in very handy. I can pack enough clothes for a week with this bag alone,excluding jackets & rain suit.
the hobo

·
Registered
707 Posts
I bought a new TourMaster magnetic for my VTX before I left for Pikes Peak, and found it perfect. The first thing I did when I got into Colorado Springs was to go to a bank and get a big cash advance, all my credit cards were useless in a scanner. The directions say not to put anything like credit cards in this tank bag, and now I know why.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Yes, the magnets are very powerful!! I have the same one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The tank bag that I have seen for the GL1800 slip over the gas tank lid with velcro, then they lay flat and cover your radio controls......

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I,ve used an eclipse on a 1500 and my 1800 with some degree of sucess.
BUT,be patient.I was at the "Electrical Connection" the other day and Lewis showed me a tankbag he was developing for the 1800.Looked pretty slick.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you wanted to use a magnetic tank bag on the faux tank, couldn't you hot glue some metal "buttons" on the underside, so the magnets would have something to "hang on to"?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
OK Lewis fest up -

Where are the pics of this beta tank bag your working on!

Is it going to be color matched to the bikes? ? ?

8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts