GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the Wing, I had a Kawasaki Concours. I could always use a tank bag on the Connie and sure miss it when on the Wing. Anyone have a solution for putting a bag on this bike (2005 GL).

On another note, where do I go to find out how to post a picture with a message.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think Lewis from EC is working on a GL tank bag - he is beta testing it so we may have to wait for the HOOT breakfast / BBQ to tie him down to see if it is a go. 8)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lewis

I'll be looking for the pictures. Are you going to put it on this list for EVERYONE to see? If you need someone to ride it around for awhile, I'll volunteer, you know, for testing.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
tank bag

I found that the best Tank Bag for my purpose was a collapsing saddle style tank bag. This also has a clear map pocket on the top, along with the two separate saddle bags and the "larger"centre bag. This bag is very water resistant, & easily collapses. I use it regularly and have been very happy with it for the past five years. The actual maker of the bag is "Hopnel".
Try this web site "www.chrometoys.com" click on GL1800 accessories, and go to page #10. you will find different pouches and tank bag options. This particular bag is part # BB-H18DSVBK selling for $170.95 cdn.

·
Registered
203 Posts
tankbag

I too, have gotten used to the convenience of a tankbag, having been riding bikes with them on for the lat 10 years. The Hopnel looks a little shallow.

Will wait to see what Lewis comes out with and am also willing to be a tester if needed. Most likely can't get high miles in until past March, although the weather this year is very mild.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
Its really close to being done. I am really pleased with the design. Should have photos up right after new years.
Do you need beta testers? We're looking for somewhere to ride next weekend for our annual Christmas ride...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking the same thing and what about the controls under it or is it just the tank cover. Couldn't find a very good picture of the Hopnel with it on the bike. Did find a lower price from a place in Chandler Az.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
The picture of this saddle bag does look shallow. However I did mention that this "HOPNEL" bag is collapsable.
When the centre pouch is compressed it's depth is approximately 4cm. When it is uncompressed ( i.e. fully loaded) the depth of the pouch expands to approximatetely 18 cm. Which is just large enough to not interfer with any handlebar controls.
I hope this aids you in your quirie.
p.s. the price for this is in Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
How does one access the gas filler on the Hopnel bag and do the bags on the side mark the tank?

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Smitty:
The top bag is held in its place with velcro. (all four sides) When the bag is removed you have total access to the gas tank, and radio controls. This set up allows the saddle bags to remain in place.
The saddle bags have a felt type of material covering the portion that comes into contact with the side of the shelter, hence never any maring.
This is a well thought through set up, and works perfectly

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
You guys better wait and look at what lewis has to offer.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
PB 1800A - Thanx for the feedback -sounds like sensible arrangement. Yeah, I'm gonna wait for Lewis and see what he comes up with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts