GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a quality tank / map bag or holder (not sure what to call it) for my GL1800. Don’t really need additional storage as much as a place to put a map or instructions that I can glance at while riding.

Would love to have a GPS but it’s simply not in the cards, for a while anyhow.

Thanks for your assistance and recommendations.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Bought a Hopnel map holder, stated it straps on. When I got it, it has four 1.5"x4" velcro straps they expect you to glue on the side of the tank cover. Would look like real **** to me. Just my two cents, and it sits in the corner collecting dust. Was not worth my effort to send back.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the Hopnel that Hal sells for $14.95. It attaches to Velcro, but the Velcro is on a strap that wraps around the frame. It works OK, but it seems it is designed for temporary use. Hals part number is BIG-UMP1

·
Registered
762 Posts
I also have the Hopnel map holder mentioned above. Works just fine and I use it anytime I need a map or instructions while riding. The holder includes a long strap with velcro on it that wraps around the black plastic just aft of the ignition key...you'll need to pull up the plastic to get the strap under. The lower part of the holder has a couple tabs that are locked into place with the gas tank flap. If I have a gripe, it's not quite large enough for folds in a typical paper map. But it did the job just fine for over 15,000 touring miles last summer and will do until I can afford a GPS.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Mine just has four straps sticking out of the sides, urs looks different. bet somebody shipped me the wrong one. Wondering how come nothing looked right. The package is gone to check ##. Thanks

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Craig - another option that works well for this and also for trips is a Tank Bag. I got a Marsee T Bag and it comes in handy for putting some maps on the top and also storing items inside that you might want quick access to and not have to get off your bike. I usually store, my camera, a water bottle or two and some trail mix, etc. I slide it over easily if I want to get gas and the underside it a soft rubber like material that won't scratch your painted surface. Cost for mine was around $85. and there are many different styles and shapes and sizes. I don't use it all the time, but on long trips and outtings it does come in very handy.

DaleC

·
Registered
156 Posts
We saw a guy in South Carolina with some kind of map holder strapped to his back. His co-rider could follow the map hands-free. Low tech GPS. Then I saw on this board the most expensive GPS of all --Gal Pounding Side.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The velcro strap fits thru a gap under the cover behind the key, no need to take anything off to put it on or take it off. It works very well, you do have to do some folding to get the map to fit properly. The correct map pouch made to fit the GL1800 is the Hopnel #H18TMBK

Note: The BIG-UMP1 map pouch on HDL's website is for a HARLEY, not a Gold Wing.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog...=36911&ManufacturerCode=284&keyword=Map pouch

[/b]

·
Registered
634 Posts
tank bag

Craig if you don't really need the storage room you might check out a map case only that fits on the handlebars. it is attached and removed in about 2 seconds. its called the crossbar mapcase. its available at:

www.cycoactive.com

you will also need the mounting kit MK-2 I believe. what is nice about this mapcase is that it doesn't block any controls and it comes right off when you don't need it.

Eric

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Rev said:
We saw a guy in South Carolina with some kind of map holder strapped to his back. His co-rider could follow the map hands-free. Low tech GPS. Then I saw on this board the most expensive GPS of all --Gal Pounding Side.
Jeff in Ferndale does that too. Had some velcro sewn into the inside of his jacket collar. When Gen rides with him, they throw the map on his back & go :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I had the Big Bike map pouch and it worked great. I wasn't too smart and had to ask about the "install", but once I figured out where to put the strap (under the ignition plastic) I had no problems using it as is. IT stayed put, and worked well.

But I wanted somewhere to store my road food and MP3 player, so I bought an RKA 3.5 liter tank bag. Nice small bag, just what I needed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a bunch of great responses. Now you’ve got me thinking…dangerous. Looks like the Big Bike Parts - Tank Map Pouch (p/n H18TMBK) is what I was thinking about. It’s probably what I will go with for now – an inexpensive solution to my dilemma.

As always, thanks for the assistance, I'm open to more advice or recommendations so keep em comming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts