GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know where i can get the BMW Tank Protectors shown in the photo posted by BUS.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Or you can go to snidersproducts.com and get their paint guard in 11 X 15 sheets and make your own to suit. It also can be peeled off and reapplied.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There is usually a set on ebay

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes, ChrisCo will have them available in about 7 days. Clear (almost entirely invisible) or Clear w/accent pin stripes in metallic slate gray. Prices start under $15.00 for the set (one custom shaped for each side). Also custom artwork is available. It's a 5 year pick and place vinyl with a mild adhesive that won't leave a residue when removed. Photo's should be availabe later this week on the web site.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Cycle Guard caution

I had a bit of airbrush work done on my tank and other areas. When I noticed that my jeans would abrade some of the brush work I bought a set of Cycle Guards to apply over the sides of the tank to protect them.

Wrong Move :shock:

The plastic on the guards (perhaps the plasticizer??) turned the airbrushed paint to goo. Sort of wicked all over under the plastic. Only option was to remove the brush work (and, of course, the cycle guard) on those areas

Needless to say, after dropping a grand plus on just the airbrush work, I was less than happy :cus:

The moral is that the cycle guards and, I'm sure, other plastic covers DO NOT work with just any kind of paint. Be careful out there!

YMMV

Pat
WI, Brookfield

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Pat, thanks for sharing your experience. Only suggestion I could make is take a digital picture of your artwork and it can be applied to the "chap" to ensure you don't lose that artwork that makes your baby yours.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tank Bag Protectors

Thanks for the replies,

I have the cycleguards and they work as advertised, however, i really wanted to find out where i can get the exact ones shown in the picture
posted by a member named BUS. I checked the member list, but don't find the name listed or i would try and contact him directly. Maybe someone knows what BMW the pads were designed for.

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
tank pads

Orange,

The pads are available at www.R-A-D.com.
There are several styles available on their website.
The ones I have are for BMW R80/100GS.
I found them at a BMW rally closeby and paid 29.95.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tank Pad

Thanks Bus,

Those be them! I think they look great on your bike and bet they will great on my pearl orange wing.

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
tank pads

No problem, Orange.
It took a couple of tries to get them positioned on the tank since there really isn't a good reference line to use with all the curved surfaces.
They are self-sitck and once they are on it would be a hassle to move them around.
I used some double sided tape in the middle of the back to get them positioned and then outlined with pencil before removing the permanent tape covers.
Should look good on yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts