GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the gas tank removed from the bike (Traxxion Dynamics rebuilding the shock). The bike is a 2001 GL1800A with 130K miles. All lines and hoses down there look good, but does it make sense to replace them now? If so, I haven't found a good list of lines and hoses in the Parts Fische, etc. Anyone know what should be done to identify lines that should be replaced?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've never read of anyone having a fuel line failure, but maybe someone else here has. I wouldn't replace them.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Vendor
21,984 Posts
How do they feel when you flex them? Are they pliable? Years ago, it was common practice to replace all hoses and belts every 3 years, but modern rubber hoses last much longer than they used to. I've worked on bikes nearly 20 years old with all the original hoses in it with zero leaks or issues.

However, if you're intending on keeping the bike around for another 10 years, it might make sense to consider replacing some of the rubber hoses in it, while you can still get the parts. If you wait until it actually fails, the parts may no longer be available by then.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have the gas tank removed from the bike (Traxxion Dynamics rebuilding the shock). The bike is a 2001 GL1800A with 130K miles. All lines and hoses down there look good, but does it make sense to replace them now? If so, I haven't found a good list of lines and hoses in the Parts Fische, etc. Anyone know what should be done to identify lines that should be replaced?

Thanks

Look under throttle body tubing in the parts fiche. all the lines are there.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

Thanks

Look under throttle body tubing in the parts fiche. all the lines are there. So far it appears all are still available.

·
Vendor
17,578 Posts
Unless they are contaminated and you cannot trust them being cleaned, or when you look at the end of the return line and you see cracks, they will probably be ok. As they age, they loose their resilience, but I've never replaced a set as PM.

Sometimes I see a pressure hose where someone has separated the rubber line from the pipe that attaches to the tank, which is glued and then clamped at the factory, and in those situations I at least replace the high pressure line. Also, often I see mutilated clamps on the return line, if I see those they get new OEM clamps. As a profession, much of this has to do with liability.

The Service Manual says to replace the o-ring on the end of the pressure hose where it attaches to the tank every time it is removed; however, rarely do I do that.

cihilb brings up a good point about them still being available. You might consider replacing them all if they still are. Just yesterday I ran across another part that's been discontinued. Luckily for my customer, I'm sitting on the last 2 in the world, and he is choosing to purchase one of them.

Also, with 130k on a 2001, if you pressure test your cooling system with the tank out, you might see the main upper hose attached to the water pump swell up like a pucker fish. If so, your others will eventually look the same.

See the link below. That bike had 130k and it was one year newer then yours.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/129-justwings/456331-got-myself-fatty.html

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I would inspect them without removal. I would replace them if they failed my inspection. (Exhibit dry rot cracks, stifF and not pliable, spots that may be close to rubbing through.... your the judge.

Don’t fix it if it’s not needed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
1 guys bike has the ‘fitting loosened from the glued line’ issue, I talked with him about replacement, but he asked if a clamp will hold. So far it has lasted over 50k miles. I concur with others in NOT replacing it if it is still working as designed and shows no signs of eminent failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts