GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently I have always owned a sport bike besides my touring bike, and spent a fair amount of time on the track. In this seating position my body and mind are saying grip the tank with my knees, especially if I am pushing it. I don't see me breaking that habit anytime soon. For those of you that have had the bike for awhile and have this same habit have you messed up the painted area beside the 'tank'.

There are bibs and clear coatings to fix this in advance, but I am not into fixing something unless it is broke.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yep. Very noticeable on my previous red 2006. Now it's beginning to show on my black 2016. Wish I had done something to prevent it earlier.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i'm still riding mine like my old Harley, with legs spread out some, if I try keeping my legs towards the tank it is not comfortable so I probably not need not worry about the tank pant fading.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tonik,

You need to hone up on your Easy Rider riding skills, :wink2:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep. Since my bike is silver and black I'm thinking to remove those panels and have those areas sprayed with truck bed liner.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You may be able to go to a "wrap" place and get something custom measured/fitted. I think there is a company mentioned on the forum that makes clear decals, but I am not positive.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I used black 3M reflective vinyl to protect the factory finish. It can be removed if I desire but the best secondary benefit is that the bike is really very visible when parked lights off. I used the vinyl for stylizing my ride and it's is super bright when lights hit it parked. No batteries needed :)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I use the tankslapper generic plastic coated cover cut out in my garage per my measurements. You could also get the TechSpec Gripster if you want more rubber coated type covering but I didn't want black on my tank.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll be honest, I just don't ride my Wing that aggressively. I don't think my legs have ever even touched the bodypanels, let alone gripped them, lol.

I guess I ride a bit more casually than most people do. I'm more intereseted in sightseeing than setting speed records. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'll be honest, I just don't ride my Wing that aggressively. I don't think my legs have ever even touched the bodypanels, let alone gripped them, lol.

I guess I ride a bit more casually than most people do. I'm more intereseted in sightseeing than setting speed records. :wink2:
ditto ; I'm just a cruiser sightseeing !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts