GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking if anyone is using the tank scuff pads to keep from the helmet cords scuffing the gas tank, also any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I haven't noticed an issue with the cord scuffing the tank tupperware, but my riding pants - different story.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've found if you route the headset wire, like in the photo, it helps lift the wire coils up and off the paint work.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There are two notches under the clutch master cylinder. The headset cable can be attached there.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
There are two notches under the clutch master cylinder. The headset cable can be attached there.
BINGO this is what I do. The pads look like crap

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
:yes1: For the tank slippers. A fine product.

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I see in the customer feed back that several guys mentioned about it coming off at a car wash...must be something wrong with the film?
The 3M film my cousin installs stays put...I believe to remove it you have to use a heat gun...

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have used Techspec for over 4 years, 100,000 m's and they work well. Never had them off.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got tank scuff pads at the Honda dealer - have had them on since I purchased the wing in 2008. I wash the bike frequently and never had any issues. Mine are the metallic looking style and go well with black bike. They also have matching pads for the helmet on the rear of the bike by brake lights

·
Registered
801 Posts
How hard to install

I have used Techspec for over 4 years, 100,000 m's and they work well. Never had them off.
I've read where the 3M and Tankslappers can be a bear to install. How about the Tech Spec?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've done both the 3M, by cutting the shape myself, and have used Tankslappers pre-cut kits on my Ducati and Aprilia's.

The hardest part is if you have a sharp convex or concave curve. The area being discussed would be simple.

Although Tankslappers provides a small plastic squeegee, I've found using a paper towel to be easier.

You spray the area liberally with a solution of water mixed with a couple of drops of baby shampoo. You then peel off the backing from the 3M and spray the sticky side of that. You place it in position and start squeegee'ing out the excess water, if it moves, you peel off the 3M, spray it again and repeat. You just slowly work from the center to the edges forcing out the air bubbles.

On the curves where you end up with excess material, you can apply a little heat from a hair dryer and kind of compress the excess material until it sticks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've read where the 3M and Tankslappers can be a bear to install. How about the Tech Spec?
If you take your time and follow the directions with the Tankslappers static cling type, you can do a good job that lasts a long time, then they just peel off so you can put new ones on (cheap!) that are not all scuffed up. I am sold on them, you can tell!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
:yes1: For the tank slippers. A fine product.

Joe in Redding

:agree:

I've had the Tank slappers since '05. They work great. I have black riding pants and they leave marks on the Tank Slapper but they wash out. I can alsways peel them off and the paint looks like new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts