GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear a duster in bad weather, (it works wonders keeping out the wind and water,) and as it wraps around your upper legs, it has already taken its toll on the tank sides, with minor scratches, et cetera. That's in less than 4,000 miles... I have a habit of gripping the tank with my knees in the twisties, and try as I might I can't cure myself.

Anyway, I've seen the clear tank slappers, but I have an alternate idea. Some of the BMW's have a rubber, gripping pad on each side, designed for the riding method I'm using via instinct. Does anyone know of a source for obtaining pads, or material like this that would be suitable for such an application?

For that matter, should I just walk into a BMW shop and see if I can order a pair meant for one of their bikes? :roll:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
A lot of the Wing owners are using the BMW tank pads on their 1800. They look really good, and really protect the paint. There are several different BMW pads that will work.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E-bay tank pads

Thanks Tom! That's exactly what I was looking for! Like they plucked the shape out of my mind.

They should be on their way to me in the next few days. :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Stormbringer I found these at the BMW store. I think they were for a R1100 S part #1031.

Panther Ga.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tank Pads

O-Town-Tom said:
Stormbringer,
You might check these out that are on E-Bay.
:yw1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=34284
Okay, here's the report - short and sweet: The tank slappers from DanD Kustom Tank pads, are the cheapest garbage I've ever seen.

The photo's do not show the material well, but it looked like your typical pad. Unfortunately, the composition of such is porous, like stryrofoam and ugly as hell.

I wouldn't put these on a cheap bicycle let alone the Wing.

Anyway, avoid these. They're not worth $1.50 let alone $30. Now to see about returns...although I'd imagine I'm SOL.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ebay tank pads

I purchased some of the ebay tank pads this summer for the same reason. I also had the same reaction, and they are still sitting in the closet. I wouldn't install them on my bike. I think there is probably less than $2 worth of foam. Fool me once.... :oops:

The shape was right, but cheap cheap cheap. In my opinion that is.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sorry to hear you two might have got stuck. I do appreciate your input on them. I was thinking about ordering a set for myself, just had not gotten around to it. I am glad you posted just what they are really like.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Stormbringer-

The guy has 100% positive feedback. If he wants to keep that rating maybe he'll refund your money. :D Worth a try!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tank Slappers

Well, I've e-mailed for information on their return policy. We'll see what happens.

Too bad, really, because the shape, as OzarksF6 put it, is perfect.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tank Slappers

The Bus,

Thanks! This is more what I expected for the price.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tank slappers...

Sorry Storm, had no idea what quality they were.

·
Registered
81 Posts
source for BMW tank pads

there is a good Honda dealer in my area that is also a BMW dealer. They might have good info on which BMW pads work best. They are Moon Motors, Montecello MN, telephone 763-295-2920

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Tank slappers...

O-Town-Tom said:
Sorry Storm, had no idea what quality they were.
No sweat man! You had no more idea than I did. The photos looked nice, just not enough detail.

The company has said they'll allow a return, with a 15% restocking fee.

I wonder if that's how they make their money on these. :idea:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts