GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this topic is/was covered in another thread, but I want to take a minute and give my experience. Bought an 18 leftover in December after doing much reading up on the bike and some of the "issues". Read about the fine scratches in the dash screen so I purposely avoided touching it. There were some very, very fine swirls in it due to I'm guessing from when the dealer prepped it. But you could only see them with direct sunlight on your back and even then you really had to be looking for them.

So I ordered up the kit from Tankslapper in gloss material. Well I have done many dirt bike vinyl kits but I was challenged with the clear finish trying to get the bubbles out. Conversed with Lucas of Tankslapper and he convince me to try again reading the online instructions instead of being a butthead and jumping in first. Well the baby shampoo was the trick. It went on and finished very easily. And the very, very fine swirls in the sun are gone, the vinyl pretty much made them disappear.

Big shout out to Lucas and Tankslapper. Thank you.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I too purchased the kit and my spray on was water with a drop of DAWN per ounce. Squeegeed from the middle out. Easy Peasy

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is there a link where I could purchase this ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I ordered the whole bike paint film kit......Xpel Ultimate gloss.

I will do the bike this Winter but immediately did the display.....the slight haziness goes away within 24-hours and after that you don't even know it's there.
Good stuff....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I realize this topic is/was covered in another thread, but I want to take a minute and give my experience. Bought an 18 leftover in December after doing much reading up on the bike and some of the "issues". Read about the fine scratches in the dash screen so I purposely avoided touching it. There were some very, very fine swirls in it due to I'm guessing from when the dealer prepped it. But you could only see them with direct sunlight on your back and even then you really had to be looking for them.

So I ordered up the kit from Tankslapper in gloss material. Well I have done many dirt bike vinyl kits but I was challenged with the clear finish trying to get the bubbles out. Conversed with Lucas of Tankslapper and he convince me to try again reading the online instructions instead of being a butthead and jumping in first. Well the baby shampoo was the trick. It went on and finished very easily. And the very, very fine swirls in the sun are gone, the vinyl pretty much made them disappear.

Big shout out to Lucas and Tankslapper. Thank you.
Very Good Product! , I would recommend to everyone who owns a New Generation 18/19 Goldwing!
Lucas is Extremely nice to do business with.

PBR

·
Registered
203 Posts
I ordered the whole bike paint film kit......Xpel Ultimate gloss.

I will do the bike this Winter but immediately did the display.....the slight haziness goes away within 24-hours and after that you don't even know it's there.
Good stuff....
It looks like there are 5 different options available, I get Gloss versus Matte, but is there somewhere to find the difference between Tankslapper, XPEL, ScotchGuard, and SunTek?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It looks like there are 5 different options available, I get Gloss versus Matte, but is there somewhere to find the difference between Tankslapper, XPEL, ScotchGuard, and SunTek?
Below gives a brief explaination otherwise give Lucas a call......
He is very good to deal with and will explain it all.

That said....
Xpel Ultimate is one of the better products......I did my whole BMW K1600 with it and it works well and is much more forgiving on installation.
It looks great and does "heal" when getting scratches or marks in the film.

Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film

combines best-in-class durability and clarity not previously available in the market. With its very low surface energy, XPEL ULTIMATE sheds contaminants that would otherwise stain or yellow conventional films. In addition, the clear coat employs special elastomeric polymers that "heal" over time eliminating swirl marks and other fine scratches without having to do anything.

This product carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing, covering both film and labor. XPEL ULTIMATE is truly the most revolutionary Paint Protection Film ever invented!

Suntek Ultra Paint Protection Film

SunTek Paint Protection Film Ultra is scientifically formulated to help maintain the beauty and integrity of vehicle finishes for many years. It’s a combination of innovative film technologies backed by a 10-year limited warranty.

SunTek PPF Ultra is are self-healing and feature our proprietary HydroResist™ technology.

Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Pro Series

is the latest addition to the 3M Paint protection film portfolio. This tough, durable, virtually invisible, maintenance-free urethane film uses our most advanced technology to protect the finish on your vehicle and keep it looking newer longer.

Easier to clean and harder to scratch: A revolutionary clear coat technology gives this film exceptional stain and scratch resistance making it easier to maintain the showroom finish.
Exceptional clarity: The low orange peel makes this one of the clearest paint protection films in the industry so it won't change the design features or color of your vehicle.
Excellent durability: The new formula for the Scotchgard Pro Series ensures superior resistance to cracking and yellowing while protecting the finish of your vehicle against damaging elements.
Wax and wash as usual: Scotchgard Pro series is maintenance free and does not require any special maintenance to keep your film looking great.
​Scratches disappear: Innovative technology enables self healing properties that allow minor scratches to disappear by themselves, keeping the film and your vehicle looking new.

Tankslapper Film

This film will only adhere to Gloss paint finishes For those with Glass paint, you'll find this to be an economical solution for invisible abrasion protection, and for those fearful the adhesive used to secure our premium fms could present a problem for their paint finish. This is not the case however.

This static cling material can last many years, but requires extra care to assure lasting performance. While riding in the rain and at high speeds presents no problem, harsh sprays of water can lift the film. Fuel spills are also very harmful to the film. If exposed, It must be removed and washed in soapy water then reinstalled. Stain resistance is another weakness. Boot marks may become permanent, although periodically adding a layer of spray polish improves stain resistance. And finally, the finish is not a glass like smooth as the premium films, which is more noticeable on dark colors.
Regardless of performance, we recommend removing the film every year or two and polishing the paint before reapplying the film. Especially if you motorcycle is exposed to daily sunlight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts