GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting the planning for this year's bike trip. Will be spending two nights in Taos, New Mexico (Sept 15 & 16) and am looking for any suggestions on places to stay. Want a good location with lots of character (not really wanting a chain motel list here).

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rode thru there... interesting thing to see... out US64 West... past Rio Grande Gorge bridge, that's cool too... on the right a few miles past the bridge... checkout the houses built underground :shock: Wish I would have stopped to take picks... but we were haulin to get to Montrose :roll:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
September is the perfect time to visit this part of the country. The summer heat is fading, the aspen trees are starting to turn in the high country, and it usually does not snow in Sept. Lots of good rides in Northern New Mexico.

Even tho it is associated with a chain, The Best Western Kachina Lodge & Meetings Center has a lot of character as do many of the motels in Taos. It's a little on the upscale side, but very nice. Located on the north end of town. http://www.bestwestern.com 505-758-2275

Another place we've stayed is the Adobe Sun God Lodge on the south end of town. The rooms are nice, but smaller than Kachina. Stayed there in the winter, so I don't remember if it had A/C or not. http://www.sungodlodge.com/ 800-821-2437

We've also stayed at the Inn on the Rio. It is an older motel converted to a B&B on highway 64 toward Taos ski area. It's about 2 miles from the center of town and there is just light traffic on the road here. Last time we were there, it did not have air conditioning, but the foot thick adobe walls kept the place pretty cool. (505) 758-7199 http://www.innontherio.com

There are many good places to eat in Taos. For home style food in a very casual atmosphere we like El Taoseno. If you like fast food style burgers, try Blake's Lota Burger. They are a New Mexico chain. There is also a bakery near the Kachina that is outstanding, but I cannot remember the name. Also a place on the second floor on the east side of the plaza.

For a small town, there is a lot of traffic in Taos. The intersection of US-64 & NM-68 is usually very busy. The cars can be backed up at this intersection for several blocks during the summer time. There are ways to bypass this intersection. Check the maps and/or ask the locals.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
While I cannot reccoment a place to stay, Taos is beautiful. Be sure to stop at the Adobe village, very interesting to see how they make their houses etc.

If you are headed towards Alberqurque (I know I spelled it wrong) be sure to ride the Turquoise Trail...very pretty.

Headed to Santa Fe? Some great places to eat their. Pink Adobe, Coyote Cafe....I am hungry already!

·
Registered
902 Posts
PingJockey gave you some good info. Here is another place. It is very old, but it has been renovated and it is a nice place to stay. Adobe walls, viga roof supports with tongue and groove slats on top. It's called the Sagebrush and it also features a quaint restaurant and a bar with wooden floors, fireplace and old west type decor.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You'll want to ride Cimarron Canyon, too. Great ride - just don't try to keep up with Fred and Brian on that road!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I always enjoy a trip down to Taos for a few days. PingJockey's comments are right on. I might add the following:

--Traffic in downtown Taos is a mess almost all of the time; avoid when possible. Moves VERY slowly.

--Sagebrush Inn on the south side of town is a very nice place; lots of character, very nice restaurant and bar.

--One of my favorite restaurants is Embudo Station on the Rio Grande River about 20 miles south of Taos. Real character, right on the river, and outiside eating also. Outstanding food.

--In downtown Taos just off the main street is the Apple Tree; also very good, and eating in their unique patio area is very nice.

Riding around Taos is wonderful also, to include:
--Enchanted Circle to Red River and Angel Fire
--Take the small road (NM-434) from Angel Fire south to Mora
--Hwy 518 through Sippapu to Mora
--Hwy 75 through Penansco
--hwy 76 (High Road) from Penansco to Chimayo and Espanola
--US-84 from Espanola to Chama
--US-64 over two passes from Chama to Taos, including crossing the Rio Grande River Gorge just west of Taos

Some photos from our trip over Labor Day in 2006 can be found in the following link (the last photos are from riding home via the Highway of Legends in southern Colorado, also a great ride):

http://davet.smugmug.com/gallery/1869239#93976745

·
Registered
269 Posts
wingnutzz said:
I always enjoy a trip down to Taos for a few days. PingJockey's comments are right on. I might add the following:

--Traffic in downtown Taos is a mess almost all of the time; avoid when possible. Moves VERY slowly.

--Sagebrush Inn on the south side of town is a very nice place; lots of character, very nice restaurant and bar.

--One of my favorite restaurants is Embudo Station on the Rio Grande River about 20 miles south of Taos. Real character, right on the river, and outiside eating also. Outstanding food.

Riding around Taos is wonderful also, to include:
--Enchanted Circle to Red River and Angel Fire
--Take the small road (NM-434) from Angel Fire south to Mora
--Hwy 518 through Sippapu to Mora
--Hwy 75 through Penansco
--hwy 76 (High Road) from Penansco to Chimayo and Espanola
--US-84 from Espanola to Chama
--US-64 over two passes from Chama to Taos, including crossing the Rio Grande River Gorge just west of Taos

Some photos from our trip over Labor Day in 2006 can be found in the following link (the last photos are from riding home via the Highway of Legends in southern Colorado, also a great ride):

http://davet.smugmug.com/gallery/1869239#93976745

Great list of roads. Add 64 going East from Eagle Nest to Cimmarron.
You can google "Enchanted loop" or "Enchanted circle" and get more info.
Avoid July and August as this is the monsoon season inthe mountains in this area (check monthly rainfall totals by month). September is by far the best time to hit the area. Dress warm. One morning out of red river was 23 F for us, but warmed up very rapidly as the sun came up. Big temperature swings in the mountains. You will love it. I can't remeber the names of the places we stayed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
"There are many good places to eat in Taos. For home style food in a very casual atmosphere we like El Taoseno."

We ate there (El Taoseno) two weeks ago and really enjoyed it; it is right on across the street from Wal-Mart. We had eaten at a mexican place at the north end of town "Tequilas" (?) and did not like it. I think we will be back there on March 3rd, I'll make a pass through town and give you some current information.

·
Registered
460 Posts
La Cantina in the alley off the square is really good. I drove an extra 250 mi one day to eat their green chile cheese fries. Love Taos!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Taos has a multitude of places to stay I recommend Laughing Horse B & B, laughinghorseinn.com or Dreamcatcher B & B, bedandbreakfast.com.
As you can tell I like the B & B's, more atmosphere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great info, guys. That will give some place to start looking.

I rode through this area on the LOE 1000 last October and thought it had alot to offer, but as I was in a hurry I didn't get to take much time to enjoy. So I told the other two couples my wife and I ride with that on our trip to Colorado this year, we need to go by way of northern NM and spend a couple of days in and around Taos.

Keep the good tips coming and thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts