GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using as an alternative tape to hold the wire for CB that runs forward along right side of the gas tank? Tried duct tape but is drys out and lets go. Need something that will stand up to the weather and hold the wire up and in place without drying out and letting go or disinagrating.

Farmer Jack

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
X2 for zip ties. I avoid tape as much as possible.

·
Registered
118 Posts
x3 for the zip ties... attach to the wire harness that runs on the right side of the fuel tank forward to the air box area. Much better than the tape.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
I initially used the faom backed tape that came with the CB (if I recall properly), then when I fixed that abortion I used zip ties and black tape. On the fuel tank, the surface needs to be cleaned well before teh tape sticks properly

prs

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
You can also use a hot glue gun.. just put a dab on the frame where you want the wire ... then hold the wire in the dab of glue.. wha- la 8)

cosmic

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
upssnowman said:
I use this stuff on lots of junk on bikes it's great
http://www.atomictape.com/

a little expensive but incredible tape

I also put it on all connectors to keep dirt out
+1

This is good stuff....no shop should be without it!

BTW, you can get this type of tape at Wal*Mart. It is called "Wrap-Fix Tape" and is made by Duck.

IHTH someone!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would first reach for the small selection of zip ties that I have.

The white ones will deteriorate over time, especially when in the sun.
The black ones will last better, but they are black.

If you need to use tape, most people use the black plastic electrical tape. There is also an old timer's tape called friction tape. The material is cloth and is meant to absorb any friction between the wiring loom and something it rubs against. It's old school, old tech, but it works well.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
:idea:
Try cutting strips of the Light Skinz headlight protector film.
Its clear, strong, blends in with any color and hangs on well. You can cut it to any size, length, or shape.

Trev.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
That Atomic tape sounds much like the 3M Electricians bundling tape that you can get at home depot. Good stuff.

I keep seeing that new Gorilla tape everywhere. Has anyone ever used it?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I try to avoid tape, and zip ties are easy to put on - but can be a pain to remove.

The trick I use is the same way I keep my computer cables nice and neat. Velcro wire wrap does the trick. Easy to install, easy to remove, and re-usable. Comes in whatever color you need, or at least something that doesn't stand out.

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-wrap/

You can also trim them to fit.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I still Lace when I can!! Not real practical on a wing but I have done it where there is room. Real easy to do, that is if you have been doing it for years. Better for tracing out wires also. Other than that I use zip-ties and a good quality 3M Electrical tape, and lock the end with a tie. Zip's are easy to remove if you know how and have small side-cutters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts