GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Gold Wing has only 6000 miles on it. I recently noticed a wobble if you decelerate from 60 down to say 40. If you hold the handlebars loosly, you feel a wobble. I took it in to my local Honda dealership and they say it needs Taper bearings. They say they cost approx $40.00 and about $300 to install. They tell me its a common problem but that its safe and the bike will ride safley without them. Anybody heard of this?

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Got the original tires on it? If so, I would replace the Stone 707 frt with a Stone 709. I'll bet that is your problem.

The tappered bearings help with the wobble, but in your case it's probably the 6 year old tire that wobbled bad. They have been discontinued by Bridgestone. What's that tell you? LOL... They weren't the greatest.

If you want to read about the bearings for 24 hours, do a search for "All Balls".

Good Luck......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Taper bearings

Do you mean the all balls bearings?
I placed them on my 2006 when it was only 2000 miles old.
Didn't have any wobble just didn't want to have to guess when there is a problem. Suggest you start with a set of tires properly balanced.
You wil be amazed what an improperly balanced tire can do to your ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have installed about 6-7 dozen of the "All Balls" tapered bearing sets and it has cured everyones complaint of the 45 down to 35 mph wobble problem. Different tires react differently too. Before I replaced mine, the Metzler tires really enhanced the wobbled vs the Dunlop D250 series. Everyone we have installed them for loves them. THe bearings run $45.07 and the installation charge is $225 at our shop.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If all the Wings have this problem, what does Honda do about it? They say its safe. The first time I was de-celerating to a red light and loosened my grip on the handle bars, it shook violently, I had to go home and change my drawers. The funny thing is, if you hold the grips tight (normally) you don't feel even a slight wobble or shimmy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Which is cheaper, hold the handlebars firmly while riding or install tapered bearings for $275? I'll go with the former.
See Stu Oltman's posts on this issue. This is common among many motorcycles to some degree or another and has to do with fork design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts