1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 trike
28K on the ODM
Recently purchased

Customer came in to have a clutch switch installed. His complaint "it did not start in gear with the clutch pulled in." By another shop, the prior owner was told that it was a clutch switch. The customer also inquired about a valve adjustment. I suggested not doing a valve adjustment until 32k, and considered having a 24k service done unless he knew the Wing's history. However, the customer was getting in his car while I was starting up his Wing. WHOAWA ... is this tapping noise why you were considering a valve adjustment ???

Anyway ... this Wing has a consistent tapping noise that increases with RPMs and most noticeable from the left side. The compression was lower on #2.

First off, the tapping noise is probably caused by the valve being hit by the piston.

There are 2 reasons that I know of the can cause the retainer to pop loose. Over revving and sticky gas from a Wing being stored incorrectly or for too long.

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
My 05 had that problem when i biught it (salvage) bike sat for over a year . When i got posted it on here and " all" said was just injectors !!!! Mine bent valve ! Redid and put 150,000 trouble free miles on it .

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 05 had that problem when i biught it (salvage) bike sat for over a year . When i got posted it on here and " all" said was just injectors !!!! Mine bent valve ! Redid and put 150,000 trouble free miles on it .
Did you find a valve keeper out of place ???

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Gregg,
Do you recommend using the fogging stuff (in a can) in each cylinder B4 we have to put her away for the season ???

I always replace oil & filter , replaced antifreeze, stabli in fuel tank, air in each tire (it's now a trike) all tires off floor, with a rug placed underneath (for condensation reason) and plug in tender on battery....

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO b4 PUTTING HER AWAY FROM NOW TILL APRIL 1st.

Thank you for everything!

Ronnie

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, where was the keeper from that valve? I hope you post more pic’s of the piston and valve head. Please?
Both keepers are there. The one that cannot be seen is in its proper place, and the second one, the one shown, has popped out of its position and got trapped between the bucket, the valve cap, and the valve stem. Thus far, the valves that I've seen bent, get bent just below the keepers. In other words, if the keeper were reinstalled the valve will probably seat correctly in its seat and probably pass a compression and leak down test. Once the head is removed, the only way to know that the valve stem is bent is to try and remove it ... the bent area of the stem will not pass through the valve guide. Basically, to get the valve out, the guide has to be driven out too.

Because this Wing has low mileage, the repair for this will likely be a new #2 intake valve, and guide. Doing a valve grind on both #2 valves, and replacing the valve seals on both #2 valves.

Doing that will fix the damage. However, I did talk to this customer and he did say that the trike sat for about a year prior to him buying it. He has bad hearing and didn't really notice the valve noise, and has no idea if it was there when he bought it. It's been my experience that it possibly was not, but can happen a short time later. He's put about 300 miles on it. My last repair like this and the customer stated that his Wing sat for about 6 months. He started it, drove somewhere nearby, stopped the engine for a few minutes, restarted, and his noise was then there.

To fix what's cause this, I'll clean the fuel system of old fuel, send the injectors out to be cleaned, and clean the intake stems using Gumout as they are pushed in/out by hand. Then once it is all back together, I'll use a SeaFoam product that is squired under the throttle plates.

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gregg,
Do you recommend using the fogging stuff (in a can) in each cylinder B4 we have to put her away for the season ???

I always replace oil & filter , replaced antifreeze, stabli in fuel tank, air in each tire (it's now a trike) all tires off floor, with a rug placed underneath (for condensation reason) and plug in tender on battery....

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO b4 PUTTING HER AWAY FROM NOW TILL APRIL 1st.

Thank you for everything!

Ronnie
I would consult your Owner's Manual and follow those instructions. Here is the path Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle.

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
Did you find a valve keeper out of place ???
OUT OF PLACE !! ?? YEA WASNT THERE (ON VALVE) BOUGHT NEW VALVE - KEEPERS - SPRING - CAPS HAD GUY TEST AND SAID SPRING WAS WEAK !! BIKE SAT FOR ABOUT YEAR BEFORE I GOT BUT ON SIDESTAND = LEAN LEFT WAS FRONT LEFT CYL. THAT WAS BAD VALVE HAD HIT PISTON N GOT BENT. ONE OF HARDEST PART OF DOING WAS PUTTING O RING WATER TUBE PIECE BACK ON :serious::frown2: I FOUND FOR CLEANING PARTS (CARBS/ INJECTORS) ETC B12 WORKS BETTER THAN SEAFOAM. SEAFOAM HAS TO SIT FOR AWHILE WHERE B12 WORKS KINDA LIKE BRAKE CLEANER = FAST PLUS AT WALFARTS B12 #3.50 CAN COMPARED TO $7 FOR SEAFOAM B12 BEEN AROUND 100 YEARS ( SAYS SO ON THE CAN ) :wink2::laugh: OLD TRUCKER TOLD ME ABOUT IT . HAVE 1500 I PICKED UP AND ACCELERATOR PUMP WAS GUNKED UP . POURED 1/2 CAN IN LESS THAN GALLON GAS AND STARTED IT AND THEN LET IT SIT FOR 1/2 HOUR . STARTED AND AS I WAS WORKING THROTTLE COULD SEE GAS STARTING TO DRIP . WASNT LONG AND GAS WAS FLOWING GOOD THRU THE JETS . IMOP = GOOD STUFF !

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
OUT OF PLACE !! ?? YEA WASNT THERE (ON VALVE) BOUGHT NEW VALVE - KEEPERS - SPRING - CAPS HAD GUY TEST AND SAID SPRING WAS WEAK !! BIKE SAT FOR ABOUT YEAR BEFORE I GOT BUT ON SIDESTAND = LEAN LEFT WAS FRONT LEFT CYL. THAT WAS BAD VALVE HAD HIT PISTON N GOT BENT. ONE OF HARDEST PART OF DOING WAS PUTTING O RING WATER TUBE PIECE BACK ON :serious::frown2: I FOUND FOR CLEANING PARTS (CARBS/ INJECTORS) ETC B12 WORKS BETTER THAN SEAFOAM. SEAFOAM HAS TO SIT FOR AWHILE WHERE B12 WORKS KINDA LIKE BRAKE CLEANER = FAST PLUS AT WALFARTS B12 #3.50 CAN COMPARED TO $7 FOR SEAFOAM B12 BEEN AROUND 100 YEARS ( SAYS SO ON THE CAN ) :wink2::laugh: OLD TRUCKER TOLD ME ABOUT IT . HAVE 1500 I PICKED UP AND ACCELERATOR PUMP WAS GUNKED UP . POURED 1/2 CAN IN LESS THAN GALLON GAS AND STARTED IT AND THEN LET IT SIT FOR 1/2 HOUR . STARTED AND AS I WAS WORKING THROTTLE COULD SEE GAS STARTING TO DRIP . WASNT LONG AND GAS WAS FLOWING GOOD THRU THE JETS . IMOP = GOOD STUFF !
B12 is strong stuff! be careful on plastic and paint!

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder how he knew that the spring was weak. There is no spec to measure their tension. As far as gas cleaner, the stuff I use is not something that is poured in the tank. It is far stronger than that. It is not made to go thru gas hoses.

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
below are links to the sds data sheets for techron and b12. B12 contains some pretty nasty chemicals to dissolve gum/varnish compared to techron.

:doorag:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/sdsdetailpage.aspx?docdataid=571918&docformat=pdf

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/assets/1aa-1-pour-0101-0105-0115-0116-0155-sds-r03.pdf
yes i think better to clean / dissolve tar / gunk bad gas residue etc. And its $3.50 can 12 or 16 oz. Have to ck . Didn;t get any on paint so cant verify it"ll ruin it but be safe not sorry. Pretty potent stuff !

·
Registered
828 Posts
Holy Smokes! This is so far over my head. I have no idea what you all are talking about but it is interesting reading and I may even learn something. Fantastic photos to accompany the literature. Thanks Greg.:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts