GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an 02 with 50K on it. Just filled her up with Amsoil and got back from 1000 mile trip without a hiccup. I have never had the valves adjusted based on cost and what I have read as in adjustment not necessary for most. When I started the bike cold today after it has been sitting for about a week I heard a very loud ticking sound that lasted until I rode it about a half mile. Then it went completely away as the bike warmed. Valves, Fuel Injectors, anybody's guess? Just wondering what your all's thoughts are...thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
On my 04 wing the injectors sounded just like it was low on oil but it wasn't The dealer said I just had noisy injectors.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I'll say the injectors because the valves in the wing don't typically get noisier/looser as they wear. They get tighter.

It could also be that you had one rare occasion where the engine was starving for oil upon start and you heard the rods knocking. At least that is what I thought happened to mine once but it has never done it since.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've had the valve tapping noise on occasion. It only seems to happen if I start the engine cold and shut it off again without warming it up fully. Then the next day it will make a bunch of noise. Sounds the same as when you start the engine after changing the oil. Seems like the short cold start uses up the oil around the lifters and does not pump enough to replenish it.

Usually the noise is very short lived. But once lasted long enough to make me worry. It has not happened since.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the premium fuel wont do anything for you, the computer keeps the timing correct at all times it also has knock sensors, doubtful the noise is spark knock

·
IronMan
17,853 Posts
:agree: WOULDN'T GO AWAY WHEN WARMED UP PROBABLY GET WORSE

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
It's the injectors, and it's normal.

Here's a thought. While you are correct that most of the time the valve clearances don't have to be adjusted, if you had been keeping up with your scheduled maintenance, you wouldn't be worried right now that maybe they were out of adjustment. It's that old Peace of Mind thing.

Travelinite gave a good reason for doing the adjustment. You can't just wait until the valves start ticking. This engine doesn't give any warning when they are out of adjustment. (until something breaks)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts