GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I run a reverse trike not a standard but have a question.
I went for a 400 mile scoot around the hills yesterday and many of the roads were typically covered in tar snakes.
What I noticed was the front wheels stay true mainly due to the fact normally one wheel is always on good pavement however the rear tend to slip just like a normal motorcycle.

How does this affect your trikes?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
What type of bike do you have? Who made the front conversion to 2 wheels?
To answer your question-I have a Wing w/a Hannigan conversion. I have never experienced any slipage of the front single nor the rear 2 tires.
Comment:
I talked to Hannigan about their 2 wheeled front conversion that they will only install if you install the rear conversion also. The only thing the plant manager would tell me is the front conversion did not "work out" as they thought it would and they will not sell it alone.:shrug:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I built the conversion myself, this is the second one I did. I am guessing Hannegan just did not take the time to dial it in as it is a bit of a trick to get the caster correct. Who knows.

My other trike behaves the same way as this one and it's no different than my goldwing or other bikes they all are affected by the snakes. I was just guessing the standard trikes my experience this but only on the front.
Certainly not a dangerous thing but it does keep one awake

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, the front tire on a trike is affected by tar snakes, but it's not nearly as noticeable as on a two wheeler, for me any way. It's most noticeable when negotiating a curve with the front wheel being held in place to hold the line through the curve. Tar snakes used to be of great concern for me on two wheels, but I don't worry about them much on my trike.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
First off I run a reverse trike not a standard but have a question.
I went for a 400 mile scoot around the hills yesterday and many of the roads were typically covered in tar snakes.
What I noticed was the front wheels stay true mainly due to the fact normally one wheel is always on good pavement however the rear tend to slip just like a normal motorcycle.

How does this affect your trikes?
Storm, It would seem to me that if you're running hills and curves with hot pavement with the rear tire pulling it would tend to slip in the snakes especially if it were a standard rear tire. Looking at the Can-Am's their rear tire is pretty wide. Maybe the wider rear tire might help?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, the front tire on a trike is affected by tar snakes, but it's not nearly as noticeable as on a two wheeler, for me any way. It's most noticeable when negotiating a curve with the front wheel being held in place to hold the line through the curve. Tar snakes used to be of great concern for me on two wheels, but I don't worry about them much on my trike.
Same here.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
As Ken said, tar snakes on a conventional trike are almost a non-factor. The rear wheels on my trike are sufficiently wide and sufficiently stable enough to almost totally dis-regard those little critters.

However, VP Biden feels we need to hire more cattle guards to increase employment in the country.:nojoke:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I run 3 car tires now and it's not a concern more of a curiosity.
Sounds like that engine might be putting out some real horsepower there Storm.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I built the conversion myself, this is the second one I did. I am guessing Hannegan just did not take the time to dial it in as it is a bit of a trick to get the caster correct. Who knows.

My other trike behaves the same way as this one and it's no different than my goldwing or other bikes they all are affected by the snakes. I was just guessing the standard trikes my experience this but only on the front.
Certainly not a dangerous thing but it does keep one awake

I remember the first one a couple of years ago,,, Need larger photos of this one it looks neat. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nice job Storm. One of a kind and the price was right.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Spyders eat your hearts out

Nicely done

·
Registered
142 Posts
Awesome workmanship. Looks great!:thumbup:

·
Registered
335 Posts