GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they ever going to do anything about the dangerous "Tar Snakes", that result from the inexpensive road patching done on highways these days.

I hit one last week and the front end of the bike floated a couple of feet before I got it back under control.

When it's hot, these things are almost liquid and when they get wet lookout.

Is nobody paying attention?

There otta be a law!!!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Yeah, put the road maintenance managers on motorcyles, for a few weeks in July. Then there would be changes made. :D :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I asked about ways to help with these dangerous critters and someone suggested adding 1-2 psi in your D250's. I helped quite a bit.

Just put on E3 so not sure how they handle snakes yet.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Randy, we went up to Brianhead this summer and we were floatin all over the road from the tar snakes. Lady at the front desk said they even effect her car. Tim

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think we rate too high as a concern to the road departments. I am more concerned with all of the road debris such as truck tires that no one seems to be concerned with other than those of us that use the roads.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Sure! there are lots of things us road crews can do bout them. We only have one small problem, most folks had rather bitch than pay taxes. There is only so much you can do with what money you have. I am quite sure you would like the alternative of not doing anything to them a whole lot less.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I come across large sections of road gator's I'll generally make an attempt to stop and remove them. After all, I'm retired and have little to do. I often get horns blown and finger gestures, but have yet to get a hand.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
galute said:
Sure! there are lots of things us road crews can do bout them. We only have one small problem, most folks had rather bitch than pay taxes. There is only so much you can do with what money you have. I am quite sure you would like the alternative of not doing anything to them a whole lot less.
Thank you for your response.

Short of more of money, that doesn't seem to be available, is there anyway that the tar patches can be made safer for motorcycles.

If anyone has any solutions or even suggestions for solving this problem, please jump in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd say nothing will be done unless a few of us end up dead. Yep, that's what it will take.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a novel idea, but your not going to like it.....SLOW DOWN when you come to a section of road with "Tar Snakes".

·
Registered
793 Posts
Aren't there rules about the direction/lenth/composite of tar snakes?

ProBono

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dave said:
I have a novel idea, but your not going to like it.....SLOW THE F&%K DOWN when you come to a section of road with "Tar Snakes".
Actually, I agree with the idea of slowing down although they creap up on you. The only thing I don't like about your post, and you have the right to insinuate your words, but your flowery insinuation word stinks. You could have simply said, "slow down."

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wonder if they could put sand in them, how that would effect things ??
Slowing down is always good, but it's the times they pop on curves that gets scary. Was going up around Anne Arbor, Mi. last summer on the 4 lane, just moving with traffic at around 70 mph and the road starts making this nice sweeping turn and all of a sudden, the road is filled with the damn snakes. THAT was scary. Just ease off the throttle and try to miss them and hope the guy in back of you doesn't rear end you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it the thickness or are they slippery? I've only ridden in the southern states and even in 100+ temps I've never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Patriot, your right. I was out of line. Sorry. I worked a motorcycle fatality yesterday and I kind of lost it.

The product you guys are talking about is something called Krafco there are other products too one we're using right now is called Elastoflex. It is put down with a sqeegee at 450 degrees. It cools very rapidly so it is just pushed with the sqeegee and run out to length of the crack You would not want them to add sand to this product otherwise every crack would become a little speed bump. The ride would be miserable.

We do try to keep the snakes to a minimum width. We try for 2" wide. We never seal a large area that has alligator cracks because of what happens in the rain. Slick as snot.

The other type crack seal is sand and emulsion. It does a good job sealing but again it leaves a raised surface which causes a rough ride.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Another thing. Most cracks in the road appear in the wheel tracks. Left or right of center of the lane. Just where motorcycles like to ride to avoid what we call the drip track. Guess where the majority of tar snakes are? Anyway I doubt this helps much but I have a crew of 9 who do this for a living....Among many other things.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Here in Indiana the DOT puts down a small stream of tar in the cracks and then uses a squgee (sp) and thin it out and it is now usually a problem.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Those tar snake are bad in real hot weather, bad in real cold weather and the absolute worst when they're wet. I agree with slowing down as being one solution but in those conditions the tar snakes are truly unsafe at any speed.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I live out in the California desert and summer heat allows your tires to smear the tar on a hot day (>100deg). If you are riding near the limits of your skill and the bike's capabilities, it will really cause you to pucker. It is very embarrasing standing on the side of the road trying to pull your seat cushion out of your butt. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've never heard of anyone actually getting hurt because of them. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I've ridden for 41 years and have never known anyone who went down on them.

I've felt the bike step around on them when riding at a normal pace, and when riding faster than I should I've had them definitely get my attention. But I don't think I've ever come close to falling because of them.

What I'd like to see outlawed is gravel in the corners. Around here, they put gravel on the shoulders, and cars throw it up on the asphalt. I've know of several folks hurt when they hit an unexpected patch of gravel in a corner.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts