GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy a bike from Hal in Ohio to be titled in my homestate of Illinois, does anybody know exactly what the process is to title/pay taxes?

I went to the DMV yesterday and explained what I wanted to do. They handed me the form to title/register the bike then another form (IL Dept. of Revenue RUT-50 Vehicle Use Tax Transaction Return) to pay the taxes.

I've read the thing twice now and as far as I can tell, since it's a bike, I would only owe $25. The part of the form that says "If the vehicle is worth 15,000 - 19,999.99 then pay $750 - or 20,000 - 24,999.99 then pay $1000 etc". only seems to apply to automobiles and other non motorcycles.

The DMV person swore these were the only two forms I needed.

It CAN'T be this cheap, can it?

What am I missing for Illinois?

·
Registered
979 Posts
tax

:( I believe you would still have to pay tax on that sucker to have Illinois plates on it, :sw1: :sw1: :sw1: :cus: :cus: :cus: anytime you buy a vehicle here when you go to get plates for it at a currency exchange the state has a table for vehicle price it uses to calculate tax. I may be mistaken on a bike but if I am my next bike will be from Hal as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You better read that paperwork carefully. The flat tax fee only applies to used bikes. If you purchase a new bike from Hal, they will want to see a bill of sale and will charge you 6.25% tax less any tax you may have paid Hal.

I even run into this buying new snowmobiles in Wisconsin. Their tax rate was 5.5% and before I could register the machines in Illinois, I had to pay the additional .75% to the state of Illinois. Isn't life grand!

I don't know where in Illinois you are located, but if you are near Chicago you may want to give Des Plaines Honda a try. They sell alot of Goldwings in the Midwest. If you figure in the shipping or the cost to fly in to pick up the bike I think you will find them to be competitive.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
It has been my experience that most (read " all " ) motor vehicle employees do not know what they are talking about.

Most likely if I buy another wing in 2006 or 07 it will be bought outside of Arizona

I have not been to Florida since 1999. ;)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve,

This is real simple. You will pay the same tax,as if you bought the bike in your home state. Your state government is not going to reward you for buying your bike elsewhere.

At Shadyside you will get a 30 day temp registration, no tax. Then you will return to your state, produce the bill of sale and shake hands with the IL tax man!..

Bulldog

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When you buy a car or a bike in a different state than you register it in you can pay the sales tax in either state. If you pay it out of state they will forward it to the state that you register it in. Thier are a couple of exceptions to this recipricosity and they are all listed in a NADA book. Best bet is to pay the tax when you get the bike home.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i assumed i wasn't going to avoid the tax

but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it, unless I just really missed the RUT-50 form.

Maybe a different DMV person might be of better assistance.

Has anybody on here done exactly what I'm asking e.g. bought out of state then titled/plated in Illinois?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I would lose any sleep over this, you can bet the farm, that if you fail to pay the rquired tax, your state will be more than happy to let you know how much you owe

BTW: be glad it ain't here in NY, our county pays 8.25%~~~~~sux

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's it

Mike's got it. I was given the wrong form. I was given the "it's a used bike" form (RUT-50) rather than "it's a new bike purchased from an out of state non tax collecting dealer" form (RUT-25).

Thanks for the help all. I KNEW it wasn't $25!

·
Young Buck
2,568 Posts
Here's my experience...

It CAN be as cheap as $25....

I'm an Illinois resident. I bought my '02 GL1800 from an individual (not a dealer) from Kentucky. It was 6 months old, and had 3,000 miles on it.

I paid a grand total of $123.50 when I licensed and titled it in Illinois.

Here's the breakdown of the $123.50:

$65 for the title
$19 for the plate (they charge 1/2 the yearly fee for anything less than 6 months)
$25 in tax to the Illinois Department of Revenue
$14.50 service fee to the license and title shop to prepare the paperwork.

Paying the $14.50 fee beats having to go to the Secretary of State's office.

This also applies to used bikes bought within the state of Illinois. It is still a $25 tax.

If you buy it from a dealer (in state or out of state), you WILL pay sales tax. I decided that it was worth the $800 tax savings to buy used.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Here's my experience...

mrgl02 said:
It CAN be as cheap as $25....
No doubt. I'm amazed that they tax used private-party purchased autos on a sliding scale tax rate, but any used bike regardless of sale price or value is but $25.

But unless I can find an 04 used, I think I'll be buying at a dealer as I really want an 04...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts