GL1800Riders Forums banner

TC W3 as gas additive

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Mongo Jerry 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience using TC W3 (50:1 outboard motor oil) as a gas additive. I have read a fair amount about it and it will supposedly pay for itself in fuel savings in addition to lubricating and keeping the top-end clean of carbon. Folks are saying 2 to 3 MPG improvement. The suggested mixtures seem to be about 500:1 or 1 ounce per 4 gallons of gas. A $25 gallon on the oil would treat just over 500 gallons of gas.
Sounds intriguing, I think I will give it a try.

Jeff...

#4 ·
At 500:1 mix it probably would not hurt anything or would help anything either. I never heard of an engine that burns a little oil get any better gas mileage. Diesel engines benefit some by using two stroke oil in the fuel mix by lubricating the injectors, but I can't see how it would help a gas engine.

#5 ·
I have been using Lucas Oil fuel injectors cleaner. Had a knock/ping from this $%@! gas in Dallas area. Takes it away and I see a difference in power too.

#7 ·
At 500:1 mix it probably would not hurt anything or would help anything either. I never heard of an engine that burns a little oil get any better gas mileage. Diesel engines benefit some by using two stroke oil in the fuel mix by lubricating the injectors, but I can't see how it would help a gas engine.
And what does a Gold wing have that a DIESEL engine has...? INJECTORS...! Diesel engine have high pressure ones that need...depending on the engine and the design and all that stuff...but many need 800 to 1,500 PSI to open them. Gold Wing is far lower pressure something in the what 30 to 50 PSI range...I guess. However its a injector just the same and has moving parts within it...just like a diesel engines injector. And little bit of lube in the gas will do them good....! Ethonal drys out thngs and just about all gas now...is 5 to 10% and some are as high as 15%, so adding a little is just fine...even at 200:1

#8 ·
Actually, I used to have a couple of quarts of Castol R laying around. I would often put in a tablespoon or two in the gas tank of my GS1000 Suzuki. Nope, it did not run a bit better but my oh my did it smell wonderful! I could almost visualize a Bultaco or an Ossa going by me. Sigh. Must be getting pretty dang old! :-(

#9 ·
For what its worth I use to do the 2 cycle oil in the gas treatment on my old Honda VT 750 twin. And while I can not say I got any better MPG on it, it sure did run smoother and seemed happier on those long trips when it was very hot. By long trips I mean riding near 1,000 Km's per day doing 100 Km/h (60 MPH ). It will not do any harm, in fact as far as wear goes, it will help reduce wear key parts...like valves just to name one...

#10 ·
You will get better MPG. Your injectors are designed to spray a certain volume of fuel at different throttle openings.

If you put oil in your fuel, it takes up some of that volume, meaning less fuel gets through the injector. So you save fuel by leaning out the mixture.

Is this wise? Does the oil compensate for the leaner fuel mixture which usually makes an engine run hotter?

#11 ·
And the GREAT oil debate rages on... But as a point of interest in all this, and being that I have been using AMSOIL for many years now. I went and looked up what they have in the way of 2 cycle oils that are TC W3 rated and found this. Personally I have been doing the oil in the gas treatment for many years with a number of bikes I have had. However my Honda VT750 Shadow I had since new, got this treatment often. Mostly when I was doing loug haul riding in hot weather and being as I am in Canada, we have NO shortage of mountains around here and none are small by any means...! Did it impove my MPG...maybe by a 10 Km's or so per tank...nothing to write home to mother about as the saying goes. However what it did do, was make the engine run smoother and had less engine pinging going on, on steep climbs of which there were many...! In a way it acted like a Oct booster by maybe the gas more stable. The engine was not prone to getting as hot when I was lugging up some of those steep mountain passes. And while VT 750, at least that one from that year had a carb on it, it did not damage what so ever to it in all the days I had the bike. I can say my plugs were cleaner, which I have to say shocked me.

Now the that I own a GL1800 which I also bought NEW with ZERO km's on it, I have given it this same treatment on a good number of my hard core long haul rides in warm weather and those mountain riding. This is what I have noticed for what its worth. Engine run smoother at idle, may be only me but seems to run more quite when I am riding for long hauls in the 2,200 to 3,500 RPM range with the great bulk being in the 2,200 to 2,800 RPM range. Am I getting better MPG from a tank....? Well maybe, it seems to be a very little bit better, again no earth shaking news to write home about. However what it is doing that I can not see, is keeping my injectors lubed...! These injectors are not all that different then those one would find in a Diesel engine. The only real differance is the Gold Wings injectors run at fuel pressures in the 30 to 50 or so...PSI range while a true diesel runs anywhere from 800 to as much as 1,200 PSI just to crack the injector open...! Thats just opening pressure only, the real fuel pressure is on some 3,000 to as high as 8,000 PSI. Now thats serious S**T...!

So the use of a little oil in the gas will not do any harm what so ever, in fact its doing your engine a great deal of good in the long run.

I did a copy and paste from there site and this is what they claim about there fully Synthetic 2 cycle lube oil for out board engines ( Marine ).

hp Injector Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (HPI)

It contains up to 30 percent more additives than other TC-W3 two-cycle oils for “super clean” operation. And because AMSOIL synthetic oils are more durable, they are perfect for lean mixture operations. In addition, this AMSOIL exclusive product produces low smoke and odor and has low aquatic toxicity properties, making it ideal for boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.