GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does the original battery last? In my case, almost 5 years from manufacture date of my bike. Over the last week or so, I noticed the bike was taking longer to start in the cold evenings after work than in previous winters. Today, I backed it out of my warm garage, fired it up, started to move forward and the bike died. I thought I'd let the clutch out too fast, because it started right back up. A few blocks later, I noticed my trip odometers had been reset to zero. I glanced at the clock and saw that it had reset, too. No further problems for the rest of the day, but I think I'll replace the battery so it doesn't strand me at an inopportune time.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Paul Long said:
I think I'll replace the battery so it doesn't strand me at an inopportune time.
That's a good idea. You've gotten your money's worth at 5 years of life.

G

·
0 Posts
I have an 04 that stays on an automatic battery tender most of the time. Still starts and holds a charge good, but was going to replace it at three years. Better safe than sorry. 8)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am still running my 2002 battery that was put into service in March of 2002. I have only had it on a battery tender once for a month during my recent knee surgery. It still starts and runs fine but does crank a little slower than it used to and the at rest volts are down some.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Paul;

While I agree that it is time to consider a new battery for the assurity of the matter; your reported episode does not sound like a bad battery; rather a poor ground or loose terminal connection. Cranking longer to start is not gonna happen due to battery either. If the battery is down enough to labour under cranking, its not gonna trip the FI system and it is not gonna start with starter motor. Once started, its not going to stop because of battery state of charge. Clean the ground on frame and battery contacts and go ahead and order that new battery.

prs

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
b4 buying a new battery i would check for a loose battery cable connection, sounds to me like your battery mite b just fine, might last a couple more years

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
same thing happen to me after not using a tender during some cold months. Got a warm day in the middle of winter and went out for a ride. Came home and bought a new battery and tender the next day.

5 years sounds like you got your moneys worth.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Replaced my '02 battery last spring (never been on a tender) but then put it in my lawn tractor as it still cranked and showed 12 volts. Ran the tractor all summer and it is still cranking it. I wanted to see just how long it would last but not get stranded on the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts