GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be going to Sedona AZ with the woman in June, but haven't spent a ton of time figuring out the route yet.

I wouldn't mind spending 2 days on the road to get there if there's sites or roads that I just shouldn't miss. I have 2 days of riding max to get there though, so my detour can't be TOO big. We can handle 400-500/day just fine, but I don't want to miss anything significant.

Any suggestions, either with the route or other things to do/see while I'm there for a week?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sedona? A Week?! Cool!!

Sedona for a week? :thumbup:

SR-89 NE from Congress, AZ (Yarnell Hill) as well as SR-89A from Sedona to Prescott, AZ to get there - there's a couple of fun roads that will get you there. Prescott is a fun place for a day to wander around downtown.

Plenty of other day-trip opportunities...some decent rides are based in Flagstaff, but you could use these as a starting point from Sedona...Tim (TGinAZ) and the Wing group up there put together a nice page with plenty to choose from:

http://www.gwrraaz.com/azj/rides/rides.htm

And, now, a picture or two...from my pile o' pix...

These and others are here... http://picasaweb.google.com/kwthom/AZTrip22008#

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
temecula to sedona

unfortunately for us in southern California it is to hot in June to do much sightseeing in our part of the country. I would just take the I-10 until you get to AZ then head north to Prescott and the other points in AZ mentioned in the other posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
unfortunately for us in southern California it is to hot in June to do much sightseeing in our part of the country.<...>
You do have to learn heat management skills...much of the routing given in my earlier post is desert; yet, it's now HOT there as well.

We learned early on that Camelbak's are a must riding in temps above 90...

Yeah, learned that the hard way two years ago; went to SDO over Labor Day weekend...not a good ride.

·
Registered
792 Posts
We make the run to Moreno Valley to see the grand kids. We take 6.5 to 7.5 hours from M.V. to home. I use the 60 out of M.V. over to the I 10, turn off in Az on to the 60 and follow that to the 71, go until you get to 89, left on 89 to Prescott. In Prescott there two ways to Sedona. Now when you get to Prescott your be into you ride about 5 to 7 hours, so more than likey you'll want to head to Sedona asap, though Prescott to 69, go though Prescott Valley and about 5 mile atart looking for 169 turn left, 14 miles go north on I17 til you get to 179, take 179 to Sedona. For me its almost 400 miles 1 way. I do know that in June I would get across from Indio to Az in the A.M. Once you get to 89 it will start to cool down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts