GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, I changed the coolant in my 02 Wing. Now the temperature gauge does not go down when ignition is turned off. After bike has cooled overnight, temp gauge drops quickly to zero when ignition turned on. Now, the gas gauge takes approx. 30 minutes to drop to "E" when ignition turned off. Any guidance as to what to check to correct the problem would be appreciated. Gauges seem accurate otherwise.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Bohemian said:
Last month, I changed the coolant in my 02 Wing. Now the temperature gauge does not go down when ignition is turned off. After bike has cooled overnight, temp gauge drops quickly to zero when ignition turned on. Now, the gas gauge takes approx. 30 minutes to drop to "E" when ignition turned off. Any guidance as to what to check to correct the problem would be appreciated. Gauges seem accurate otherwise.
It doesn't seem that changing the coolant would affect these gauges. Tell us what all you did to the bike just before these gauges started acting funny? Usually, when something goes wrong after a "fix", it's usually something to do with the "fix" that's causing the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The right storage pocket would not come out because the cable to the its locking mechanism had been incorrectly assembled by local dealer following cb installation. I had to partially remove the top shelf to free the cable. I added the new coolant carefully but some overflowed and as per Fred's video, I flushed the spilled coolant through the right storage pocket, using low pressure, . When I started the bike, there was steam and the smell of coolant. I suspect that some of that vapor made its way into the gauge and is sticking the mechanism.

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
Some early model bikes had problems with the faceplate warping causing the speedo needles and other gauges to stick. There was a service bulletin on it, and Honda replaced many gauges on 01 models. I don't know if it affected any 02 models or not.

Take a close look as the faceplate under the gauge and see if it looks like it is contacting the bottom side of the needle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts