GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was riding in the Birmingham AL area and my temp gauge stayed 1 mark above the half mark and higher. I was showing 101-102° ambient temp. most of the time. Even running 75mph on the slab it stayed up there. This is the first time I have seen this and was wondering if it was normal. Thanks

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
We were coming through Bridgeport, Conn. last week and it was 102 degrees.

My temp gauge read about 1 needle below the half way mark which is normal for my bike.

In traffic, I did see it climb to about 1 mark above half way.

Don't know if this helps, but with the high temps we have been having I don't think I would worry too much, unless it becomes a common occourance.

Might want to check your coolant level however.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds normal to me
as the ambient temp goes up the thermostst opens more, once the thermostat gets 100% open you will see the engine temp go up as ambient goes up

·
Registered
425 Posts
Come on Rocketman, 75? :thumbup: Did the throttle get stuck? :joke:

But seriously, my temp gauge almost never moves up to half way and I've rode hills n twistees, slab, slow (bike week in Daytona - is crazy slow with fan running alla time) and fast.
I-95 from Daytona to Titusville in summer is horrible for heat. The trees block all the wind and the slab just sits and bakes with air temps way over 100. (Big brother used to make a killing selling radiators in Cocoa cuz that section of slab used to cook'em.)
For my bike, that's normal.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Better check your coolant level.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Today I was riding in the Birmingham AL area and my temp gauge stayed 1 mark above the half mark and higher. I was showing 101-102° ambient temp. most of the time. Even running 75mph on the slab it stayed up there. This is the first time I have seen this and was wondering if it was normal. Thanks
Check to see if your radiators are clear of bugs and debris. Maybe hose them out.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better check your coolant level.
I checked it not long ago and it was fine. One thing I was thinking about is if the radiators my be filled with bug guts and needs cleaning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts