GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my temp guage go in the RED 3 times now. :22yikes: Stop and go traffic.:eek:4: Fans are kicking on. :thumbup: I changed the antifreeze a week ago:bow: and today, again, back in the red.:wrong: I have done a search :thumbup:and seems like a few post were saying, unless I boil coolant out, no need to worry.:shrug: However, I don't like seeing the temp guage going that high.:cry: Once I get going, it returns to normal and the thing can sit in the drive and idle for 30 minutes and never get much above the 1/2 level on the guage. :thumbup: Oh yeah, its an 01 with 37k miles. What to do now? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's typical behavior in stop and go traffic.

The only other thought.....did you burp all the air from the system when you changed coolant?

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Yep, agree. Completely normal. These guages aren't giving a true linear reading on temps. Think of them as glorified idiot lights. Boiling coolant spit out is overheating, time to let it cool down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re

I have bin told that a constant 25 mph is a kill zone .fans only come on below 25 mph and not at all over that. I don't know if that is true but some one else may know

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'd say that the temp gauge in the red is cause for concern.

I have heard a bunch of different Numbers but can tell you that on my bike the fans shut off at exactly 20MPH. They come back on below 20MPH. Between 20 and about 35 is an overheating zone. More than 35, no problem. There is enough airflow to keep things cool. Below 20, the fans do their job.

In the range just above 20 watch yourself. Waiting until the bike is pumping water out onto the ground isn't recommended time for taking note. Yes, in the red is an idiot light... you know why they call it an idiot light right?

This can generally be regulated with riding. If you need to pull over and let the fans cool the bike down, do it. Motor repair due to overheating is generally not covered as a warranty repair.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Have been with many in the RED. OK till they PUKE green stuff.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have bin told that a constant 25 mph is a kill zone .fans only come on below 25 mph and not at all over that. I don't know if that is true but some one else may know
This has been talked to death, especially for the early year bikes. (Mine is an '02). The fans only run below 14 mph. The issue is one of air stagnation at low speeds in the so called "parade mode" (like slow traffic in the 5-20 mph range.)

The problem occurs when you get insufficient air flow over the radiators and that can actually occur in a couple of circumstances.

1. If you are running at 12 or 13 mph the fans are trying to suck air in the sides and blow it out the front of the radiators against the 12 or 13 mph relative wind (plus any headwind). The fans don't win the air fight and the gauge goes up.

or

2. If you are running just over 14 mph, say 15 mph, (so the fans are off) and you have a tailwind of (let's say just for *****s and tickles) of 15 mph, the net airspeed at the radiators is a big fat 0 and you get little to no air flow. The gauge goes up.

My bike had the recall done (new ecm and head capacity verified good). I find that it helps to keep the rpm's down. (Ride in as high a gear as you can without lugging too badly. My gauge has actually gotten ALMOST to the redline but never quite to it. If you get worried, simply pull over and let it idle until the temps come back down.

At least this is my understanding and my experience. (or that's my story and I AM sticking to it.)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I just cleaned a bunch of bugs out of my radiator fins!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought there was a recall for the ECM to help the situation on the early models. It fixed my 02 when it was replaced. Might check and see if that is the problem. Was yours ever replaced?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I thought there was a recall for the ECM to help the situation on the early models. It fixed my 02 when it was replaced. Might check and see if that is the problem. Was yours ever replaced?
No, there was no recall on it. But many on this board do keep insisting it was a recall.

The service bulletin for the overheating issue was a result of a class action lawsuit. If the bulletin has not been performed, it is too late. The terms of the lawsuit expired about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
osduck, I am normally one that has always tried to calm the over reaction to this issue. But I will say a couple of things here.

If the OH bulletin was performed on this bike, or if the bulletin to install the temp gauge calibration harness was installed, the gauge should be fairly accurate. If the needle is just rising into the upper half of the gauge, that is not a problem. All engines heat up under stress. But if it is in the red, that is a cause for concern. That upper part of the gauge is red for a reason. It means you need to take action. When it happens, pull off the side of the road, but do not shut the engine down. Let the fans cool the engine. If the fans are not running, shut it off.

I am assuming you are not the original owner based on the date you joined this group. You can call your dealer, give him the VIN, and get the service record for your bike to see if the work was done. There were many Wing owners that decided not to get the bulletin performed because their bikes ran fine.

If the bulletins were not performed, then the gauge is not reading correctly, and the engine may not be as hot as the gauge indicates.

Was your bike going into the red before the coolant change? If it just started, you undoubtedly have air in the system that is preventing the water pump from circulating coolant. This is a problem that needs to be fixed. If you don't have a coolant flush tool, there is a specific procedure you have to follow in the service manual to prevent air pockets.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks for the info Techdude!:thumbup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Its true....fan cuts out around there...in my case at 30 Km/h...right on the dot...!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Let the bike totally cool down. Like first thing in the morning. Then take out the right fairing pocket and remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level. It might be down a half cup or so. Thats normal. If you add much more than that you have a leak somewhere. Probably a hose clamp. Then I would say its leaking coolant out and sucking air back in instead of antifreeze from the reservor.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:But the dealer did mine anyway.
Kurt :thumbup:
No, there was no recall on it. But many on this board do keep insisting it was a recall.

The service bulletin for the overheating issue was a result of a class action lawsuit. If the bulletin has not been performed, it is too late. The terms of the lawsuit expired about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Let the bike sit overnight to cool, put bike on side stand. that will put the radiator cap at it's highest point. Remove radiator cap and start bike and burp the coolant seveal times. I would bet you will get more air of if it unless you did it that way already. Next I would get a bottle of regular household peroxide and put it in a spray bottle and totally wet down both radiators from both sides, get in behind the fairing too. Let it set for a few minutes and then flush with a good stream of water. That will clean all the bugs out of the fins. But like the others have said, riding in parade mode, under 12/14mph the temp will climb pretty good. bb

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
In this regard, '01 and '02 models are a bit different according to Honda. Honda initiated a "Improvement Campaign" in 2003 or maybe 2004. For the '01 and '02 models, they evidently had found some heads to have reduced coolant passages and they suspected some electrolysis or galvonic based corrosion due to an improperly routed or designed wiring harness sub assembly. Those bikes were to have been checked for head coolant capacity and to have new harness sub-assemblies. Later bikes and the earlier ones too were to receive a new ECM with richer idle stage paramenters and an even less sensitive heat gague plateau. The Campaign was for a limited time only, unlike recalls that are 'forever'. SInce the OP has one of the early bikes, he needs to check for corrosion build-up, maybe the easiest way would be to go ahead with a drain and flush and then re-flush with commercial radiator flush agent (citric acid solution). Its a PIA, but maybe there is a problem brewing.

prs

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It's fairly easy to wire an on/off switch to give manual control of the fans. There is a "signal" wire connection at the fan-relay that the service manual says to temporarily ground to test for fan operation. Since that turned mine on, I just added a wire from that connection through a switch to ground and mounted a Radio-shack "push on/push off" switch in the lower right fairing panel. I'm waiting for the dealer to get a new ECM to correct my fan problem, but the switch is there if I ever want manual control.
I found my heating problem only occurs when closely following another vehicle such as in a line of traffic led by a pilot car in a construction zone, or climbing hills on a narrow tight road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts