GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp guage on my '06 never, NEVER, goes above a tick below the center mark. Fans run once in a while in traffic etc. but the guage never goes any higher. Suspect it is defective???? What 'da think? Winter coming on, time for warrantee work to get done if needed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
ditto on my '06.

Drain the coolant out if you want it to go up. :lol:

Seriously, I think that's where it is supposed to run. If it goes above there, then I'll be concerned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '02 and the gauge does the exact same thing,,,never goes beyond just a hair below center,,,I'd say the gauge is right,,it's never overheated,,,I had a 1500 for a couple years and the gauge would start to climb on hot days running slow,,,,I think they've just done a better job on the cooling system,,,,,,,I don't think it's a problem.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
temp guage

I have an 05 and my guage is just like yours I can see the middle mark but not by much never has been over it fans come on cool things down no worries not like the 1500

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you want to see it rise, just do a steady 15 MPH for a couple of miles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had my 06 go 1 notch above the halfway point one time on the beltway moving around 15 to 20 moh for about an hour. Other than that it never moves!

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
The rumor is that Honda has the temp gagues regged to read at that spot for a wide range of temps; but once the bike exceeds that range, the gague rises rapidly.

prs

·
Registered
137 Posts
Head Temps

I have a head temp gauge (Acugauge) on my '01 that digitally indicates consistent normal operating temps of 153*F to 195*F (fans activate at 180*F)... and the OEM coolant temp gauge never budges from a tic below mid-line... FWIW... 8)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I like about this group..instant info!!!!!!!! Thanks, I won't concern myself with it anymore!! :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
kenkadish said:
Ken,

Thanks for the graph. :D I now have it in my pictures. :D

I get from the graph that the center of the gauge is a normal operating range of approximately 160 to 210 degrees. Nothing in that area to be concerning with.

If the gauge starts to rise, you are getting above the desired normal operating range and should make plans to remedy the situation. (I went up about 3/4 gauge in heavy traffic.)

If you hit the redline you are near the boiling point for the properly maintained 50/50 coolant. Soon after that your coolant is starting to boil and are in trouble.

My normal pointer position is the needle just touching the top of the center mark.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My temp gauge is rock steady. The only time it increased was when I was climbing Mt. Washington, I hit the red line that day, but it quickly went back below mid point once I was no longing mountain climbing :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts