GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to calibrate the temperature reading on a 2016? Mine’s about 4 degrees high.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Answer is no. Sensor is a thermistor, change in resistance with change in temperature. The ecm module is nor adjustable, neither is the sensor. Usually it's the sensor that managed to squeak thru the manufacturing process with a slightly off temperature coefficient curve.

If it bothers you excessively you can swap it out. Or borrow a buddies for a bit and check it. But don't compare yours against the bank temperature signs - those are notoriously inaccurate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Do you happen to have a temperature-resistance chart for the thermistor? I would also like to know the location of the sensor. Robert

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Depends on thermistor used. There are many different styles and ranges, impossible to tell what's used without a temperature controlled bath and a meter.

I'm not familiar enough with the 12-17 models to tell you exactly where it's located, sorry. The intake air temperature sensor is located in the side of the air filter box but that is different than the outside air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Searching the forum found:

Ref. Post #6.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Are you having an overheating issue? I have a 2016 and the temp gauge hardly moves, even in Death Valley with 112+ degree temps.
On my 2005, the gauge would climb up to the Red zone at extreme times. But it never experienced overheating symptoms. The gauge is basically a general monitor.
My 2016 compared to my 2005 has larger radiators and the cooling fans come on much earlier.

Corventure Dave

·
Love The DCT
13,090 Posts
Are you having an overheating issue? I have a 2016 and the temp gauge hardly moves, even in Death Valley with 112+ degree temps.
On my 2005, the gauge would climb up to the Red zone at extreme times. But it never experienced overheating symptoms. The gauge is basically a general monitor.
My 2016 compared to my 2005 has larger radiators and the cooling fans come on much earlier.

Corventure Dave
He's referring to the ambient air temperature gauge reading four degrees high compared to another source which he does not mention.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You can take multiple digital thermometers of the same make and model and all will probably read differently. Most thermocouples are accurate to 1º or 2º

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
You can take multiple digital thermometers of the same make and model and all will probably read differently. Most thermocouples are accurate to 1º or 2º
A few Goldwings, all in the same place, will also be a good reference point as well.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Another thing to consider is the placement of the thermocouple. It is inside the fairing close to the radiators. At slower speeds it will be picking up radiator and engine heat. On the pre-2012 models it was inside the fresh air duct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts