GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the site. I pick up my new bike on Saturday morning. Does anyone have any neat ideas on storing your bike outside temporarily?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome aboard rtanner!

Define storage! Are we talking long term as in through the winter months, or storage outdoors with easy daily access. New bike, old bike, total beater bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the Nashville, TN area so I won't be into it everyday. I will want to get to it when the weather permits. 07 Black GW

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think Podo has an excellent idea there with that building by Rubbermaid. Wait a second...sticking a Tupperware bike into a Rubbermaid building...you might just get a whole brood of little dirt bikes by springtime :wink:

Very new expensive bike with occasional use when weather is nice makes your temporary storage choices a bit narrower. Question in my mind is if you need to store outside, are you currently in an apartment building where a storage shed like Podo suggests might not be an option?

You might consider a local public storage facility which could have small garage-like cubby holes with easy roll in-roll out access. That way it's secured, out of the weather, and reasonably accessible when the urge strikes.

Another option would be this: http://www.bikarage.com/
I had a good close look at one and talked to the vendor at a local m/c dealer open house. It's a few grand in cost but well built and convenient. Open up the "bat cave" and out launches your Wing.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We do live in a house. Weactually bought a utility building back in the summer. Before we ordered the bike we had it filled with tools and lawn equipment. These look like very interesting ideas.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! Whatever you park in, you should heat it. At least heat it a little to minimize temp. fluctuations. If you don't it will form condensation all over and pit your chrome and aluminum surfaces. I learned this the hard way 20 years ago. :? :shock: :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just pop over to Costco and buy one of their portable 10x20 garages. I had one erected in my back yard for 5 years now and the material hasnt ripped. Both my bikes are stored under it all winter long up here. Best $175 we ever spent.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'll second the "portabel garage," but I got mine from Sams.

You could also put an airplane, your wife's bike, and your brothers bike in there. :)

David M.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I too recommend the Smart Shed from Thinking-outside. Its not in the picture below, but I also added a 2x4 brace along the top by the roof. If you look carefully, you can see where it goes across and it is bolted by 2 bolts on each side. Im mainly concerned about the wind, so I put that brace up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends on your marital status....When I was single, it was a shower curtain on the living room floor with the bike parked right on top.Nice and dry,warm, and got to polish it up all winter.Probably not an option if married...lol

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Ziggy,
Is that fence behind your place to keep you in??? :shock:
Do you get time off for good behavior?

Or maybe you want to keep everyone away from that good looking GW.

I know Rawlins is out on the high prairie and the wind sure does blow.
I did the Simplex fire alarm at the grade school there a few years ago.
Things were great on the "snow chi mein trail" I think it got closed a couple of times while I was up there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
jit said:
Depends on your marital status....When I was single, it was a shower curtain on the living room floor with the bike parked right on top.Nice and dry,warm, and got to polish it up all winter.Probably not an option if married...lol
I used to hang Xmas lites on mine...and you're right, no longer an option!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
podo said:
Ziggy,
Is that fence behind your place to keep you in??? :shock:
Do you get time off for good behavior?

Or maybe you want to keep everyone away from that good looking GW.

I know Rawlins is out on the high prairie and the wind sure does blow.
I did the Simplex fire alarm at the grade school there a few years ago.
Things were great on the "snow chi mein trail" I think it got closed a couple of times while I was up there.
Podo,
Nah, that fence blocks big things from hitting the house. The wind comes from the west (the direction Im pointing camera) and it blows like crazy. As a matter of fact, its going at a pretty good clip right now. Stupid furnace cant keep its pilot light lit.

Which school did you do the alarm at? We have three elementary schools here in Rawlins. One is up in the middle of nowhere on the edge of town sort of, another is in what looks like a run down part of town, and the third is up by the hill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts