GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Maybe Just Maybe PMS has set in to long.

I started looking at new wings on cycle trader current ride is a 2003 with 83000 miles.
Having a new bike sounds fun but me being the tightwad my wife acuses me of being. I am having a hard time deciding what to do.

What are some of the things you think about when deciding to change rides.
Some of my concerns are the price hike coming up, I like the idea of the warranty last year I lost mine for 2-3 weeks when a rear seal went out on the final drive warranty covered would have been fairly expensive with out. would like to wait for the new model in some ways but I also don't want to be priced out example being the lowest end model changed from 08 to the 09 model.

From the 83,000 mile mark what kind of maintenance issues have you had to do. I know most of them are minor but things like fork seals, rotors, head bearings.

The dealer I went to did not quite offer me quite enough for mine or the deal may of been done saturday.

Riding mine there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it. But a new ride seems nice at times.

Looked at an 08 base model wanted ABS for the next one but currently $5,000 difference says stay with base.

I sure hope it warms up soon

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well, IMO. If you want to trade up, do it now before age & mileage effect your present bike. As time goes on you'll get less.
You could drive your present bike for years to come without problems. Just depends on how you feel about keeping it or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Kam
1: Do a job sanity check (do you feel somewhat comfortable).
2: Go for it, your not taken it with ya!:thumbup:

V

·
0 Posts
When I purchased my ABS model the difference was $3,000. I actually preferred the current model because I did not want a first year model and did not want to wait. I figured 7 years was enough to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have my 02 setup just the way I want it and there is no reason to buy a new one. BIGGIE in this economy is the title is in my safe.
Kurt

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
One thing I would factor into the equation is the frame on your 2003. Lots of older bikes are starting to develop cracks by the left passenger floor board. If you do decide to trade, I wouldn't get anything older than a 2005 model, to insure you get the newer frame design.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a 02 with about 87,000 miles and sometimes think about selling it for a newer bike, but it was paid off three years ago. I hate the thought of payments again. The money I save from zero payments will pay for lots of repairs that might not occur anyway.
But I am researching the ideal of going to a sidecar and if that happens I want a bike with the updated frame.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I figure what it costs me a year. Your bike will continue to go down, and a new one will continue to go up. You will have more repairs, and no warranty.

In my case, I traded a 05 for an 09. It cost me $1500 a year to ride the 05, and I don't think that number would have gone down on a per year basis if I continued to ride it.

At the same time, I gained factory heated seat and grips, better stereo (ok, I don't listen to it), Nav (which I didn't think I wanted from the factory, but I'm really glad now I have it).

But at the end of the day, it's mostly a matter of what you feel comfortable with financially.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have my 02 setup just the way I want it and there is no reason to buy a new one. Kurt
I feel the same way about my '05.

As long as the "GL1800" model profile remains the same, and barring any major mechanical problems... or, unless the absolute, perfect deal comes along (and it almost did last year)... I can't see any reason to simply buy newer for the sake of being newer.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
There's a lot to be said for being debt free. If you're concerned about future maintenance costs, write a check to a savings account every month for the loan amount you'd pay. After 3 years see where you are...a bunch of savings AND a great bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's a lot to be said for being debt free. If you're concerned about future maintenance costs, write a check to a savings account every month for the loan amount you'd pay. After 3 years see where you are...a bunch of savings AND a great bike.
:agree:

We are debt free and staying that way! We'd rather be debt free and have $$ put aside for repairs if needed. So far so good, we have had nothing go wrong with either bike. You might could go for years before anything breaks and by then you could have a pretty good "nest egg" set aside to fix whatever problem that my come up. Besides, they haven't really changed up the Wing enough to justify a new one and when they do change it up, I would want to wait a couple years for them to "get the bugs out" before jumping on a new one. JMO :)

Karen

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hal the sponsor of this board has a dealership in Ohio I believe:shrug:....I would check with him about pricing. Who knows...it might be a deal you can't pass up.

Either way you will still have an awesome ride.

decisions....decisions......:eek:4: :confused: :popcorn:

Mark

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Doggone it; in the words of our current President, Vice President, Nancy (Crazy Eyes) Pelosi, Harry (Crazier than Nancy) Reid, Barney (Don't ask, I'll tell you anyway) Franks, Chris (duh, pay more taxes) Dodd, and lots of other idiots that our fellow countrymen have elected, "It's your patriotic duty to spend, spend, spend this great country out of this current economically stressful period". Well, maybe not those exact words, but close enough.

PS: Go for the Pearl Hot Rod Yellow; you'll be absolutely surprised at how many folks wished they had one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another thing to think about, how much farkle do ya have on that you'd have to buy again???

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
my 05 has 97,124, and i plan on putting many times that on her, plus the title is safe at home also. your choice, but like someone said, how much will you have to re buy to put on the new one.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I would think long and hard before buying a new bike "toy" with the economy in the shape it is right now.. it just might be prudent to wait for a while.. your present ride won't depreciate that much more...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
:agree: with HIS&HERS. But if u are financially solid, like TrapDog said, u can not take it with U!

The Gold Wing is not a necessity but a want, its a toy.

:biker:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
There really are no significant changes between a 2001 and a 2009. I rather have a paid off bike and title in hand. If/when the Goldwing is substantially changed I would consider buying another. Right now, a TMP and a crippled NAV system don't interest me.

My guess is after a few short weeks, the warm fuzzy feeling of a having a new bike will wear off, especially since the new one is just like your old one.

Then, buyers remorse will set in, and you will slap your forehead saying "what did I do this for?" ;)

Keep the old bike, and put $300 month in a savings/repair account.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
:agree:

We are debt free and staying that way! We'd rather be debt free and have $$ put aside for repairs if needed. So far so good, we have had nothing go wrong with either bike. You might could go for years before anything breaks and by then you could have a pretty good "nest egg" set aside to fix whatever problem that my come up. Besides, they haven't really changed up the Wing enough to justify a new one and when they do change it up, I would want to wait a couple years for them to "get the bugs out" before jumping on a new one. JMO :)

Karen
In today's economy, being debt free is the only way to go. Been that way since 2004 and not looking back:excited:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Actually, If one can afford it. This Spring/summer would be a great time to buy. It's a buyers market right now- Get the right dealer with to much old stock and you can take home a great deal.

I would think long and hard before buying a new bike "toy" with the economy in the shape it is right now.. it just might be prudent to wait for a while.. your present ride won't depreciate that much more...

cosmic

1 - 20 of 28 Posts