GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the old farts on this board there must be a few that have sufferd from tendonitious and have found some way to treat it that works
every time I lift any thing more then a couple of lbs I get shooting pain in and near my right elbow I know it was caused by way to many years of swinging a hammer .But that part of my job is over now.I watch the guys that swing the hammers and have for about 5 years all of a sudden the pain is back.
What snake oil or magic creams ,spells,herbs,drugs have worked for you?
Thanks Jim :cry:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I use ibuprofen pills. 200mg each , usually 2-3 at one time.

I have worked in the automotive repair circus for over 3 decades. My elbows have been inspected and injected over the years.

Doc tells me arthritis is starting in the elbows now. Some days are great! , some not too great

My right hand often goes numb when I hold a steering wheel , handle bar , sleep on my right side, ect. Usually thumb and 2 or 3 fingers. Does not act like carpel tunnel ....... need to visit doc

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Old Farts? :p

Ibuprofin. For me,800 mg at a time were appropriate. 2-3 times a day
I've seen a lot of repetitive motion injuries in my years in seafood production.

Having said that,take a look at acupuncture.
You and I have talked about my neck troubles. I currently am undergoing some acupuncture to treat my neck,and am impressed with the results so far.Not cured yet,but am making some definite improvements after about 8 visits.

If it works for my neck,it sure seems like it could work for tendonitis

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suffered from the same pain from using a track ball on my computer when working on a CAD design. Constant twisting of the wrist resulted in pain in the elbow. There is a brace that has an air pillow that straps just below the elbow. This relieves the stress placed on the tendon that connects to the elbow.

Place your finger just below your wrist on the side of your arm and wiggle your fingers. Where you feel the movement of the muscle position the air pillow over that spot and apply the strap. Wear this for a few days and allow the soreness to subside. You may have to wear for a longer period to get full effect but in a day or two you will notice a difference.

This worked better than the cortisone shot applied in to the joint in the elbow and was a lot less painful.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
cortisone shot in the elbow fixed mine up one time. It was awful for about 2 months and I finally went to the doc. 48 hours after the shot.......no more pain. Never has come back either. that was 5 or more years ago.

people are afraid of cortisone sometimes........but used appropriately it works.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jim just give up your about gone anyway. :lol: :lol: Have you tried
Glucosamine Sulfate or other versions of Glucosamine.
Normally I don't use this kind of stuff, but it worked so well on
my great dane. It is over the counter and I think this stuff will
make you feel 20 yrs. old again. I've been on the back of a water well
rig for 30+ yrs. and I know the pain you are discribing. This stuff
even helps my two herniated disks. My dog chance didn't know what
I gave him and he went from crawling to running in days.
I want to ride a few more yrs. it helps me to do that.

Good Luck and ride safe

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the same problem. been swinging a hammer for 30 years. 5 years ago I started taking Glucosamine Sulfate, 1000 mg. It took about 4 weeks before I noticed any improvement. Now I take about 500mg every morning. On the rare occasions I do wear a nail apron, I carry the hammer for balance.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have it in my wrist and my elbow. I take a real light grip on the throttle and always remember not to strain too hard when using wrenches. Use a cheater bar all of the time. (Less strain) I take the same pills as the other guys. And wear a wrap around brace for about a week when it flares up. I have heard that cortizone never leaves the body............ :)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Glucosimine sulfate helped me, takes about 6 weeks to notice anything. Ibuprofen before I ride helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
All of the above. You can purchase an elbow brace from the local pharmacy. This wraps around the entire elbow (upper and lower) and provides gentle support and warmth.

Also, you can get a wrap around brace (about the size of watch) the wraps around your forearm, just below the elbow. This gives some relief.

Ibuporfen (according to my family doc) is a good temporary remedy but is know to cause stomach ulcers and bleeding for extended periods of time.

Try icing it when it's really bad to reduce the inflamation.

Do a search on the www. and I'm sure you will get 1000 responses.

Zeebo

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Over my adult life I have become sort of an expert in joint pain due to sports injuries when I was young, run ins with chain saws, etc. I have had to deal with the consequences ever since. (I would make Evel Knievel proud) I would like to inject an opinion here that is based on what I have learned and how I have dealt with it, including what doctors have told me.

Tendonitis is not an old farts problem. I had my first case of it when I was in my 20s in the back of my hand. I have since had it in both hands, both shoulders, and my right arm. I sympathize with you. The pain can be debilitating.

You don't say whether you are self diagnosing or whether a doctor told you that you have tendonitis, but elbow pain in carpenters is usually caused by tennis elbow, not tendonitis. They both are tendon issues, but are different problems. (My dad was also a carpenter and had the same thing numerous times over the years.)

Treatment is simple. While Ibuprofen will help with the pain, there is only one known cure for tendonitis, and that is rest. It is a slow process and takes a long time to heal. Taking a week of of work will not fix it. In fact, even if the pain goes away, the joint will never be completely healed and will never again be at 100%. The condition is permanent. The likelihood of a re-occurance later on is high. Sometimes anti-inflammatory drugs can help reduce the pain because joint swelling from inflammation causes increased stress on the tendons, which just exhasberates the problem. You can try an elbow brace as well. It will help restrict the stretching of the tendon.

Since your job exerts the elbow joint quite often, you have a choice to make. Either change the way you work or put up with the pain. Learn to use the other arm, change the motion of the affected arm slightly, or use pneumatic tools whenever possible.

One more thing. Glucosamine is for joint pain caused by breaking down of the cartilidge in the joint. Its primary function is treatment of arthritic conditions. You will be absolutley wasting a lot of money to try Glucosanine to treat Tendonitis. In fact, I am not a supporter of Glucosamine at all and neither is most of the medical community. Even if there is a slight benefit to the product for normal joint pain that is not related to an injury, the product is expensive, and since it is classified as a supplemnent, it is not regulated, and it has been proven that the quality of the product varies greatly.

I have torn cartiledge on both sides of both knees that need surgery and my wife has been forcing Glucosamine on me for about a year now. It has had absolutely no effect on me. I just take it because it makes her happy.

See your doctor. Although most doctors shrug it off because there isn't much they can do, it is best to at least have the doctor diagnose it. Be forecful and make him understand how bad the pain is.

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I think I wore out 2 of the pillow type straps. Wore them every day for years , they do help IF placed properly as posted.

My elbow pain does radiate out into the muscles at times. Certainly cuts back the strength when lifting stuff.

As posted "rest" is real good for this stuff. After a long weekend if I do not do a pile of work around the house..... My elbows feel a bunch better.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have found that taking two Aleve pills in the morning works wonders. I used generic Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) to get me through this knee surgery instead of the highly addictive prescription narcotics.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Glucosamine is for joint pain caused by breaking down of the cartilidge in the joint. Its primary function is treatment of arthritic conditions. You will be absolutley wasting a lot of money to try Glucosanine to treat Tendonitis. In fact, I am not a supporter of Glucosamine at all and neither is most of the medical community. Even if there is a slight benefit to the product for normal joint pain that is not related to an injury, the product is expensive, and since it is classified as a supplemnent, it is not regulated, and it has been proven that the quality of the product varies greatly.
While I agree that Glucosamine/Chondroitin is not the treatment of choice for tendonitis, I disagree with the other statements about it. I was so crippled with arthritis in my back ten years ago, I couldn't stand, sit, or lie down without excruciating pain. The conventional medical community wanted to fuse three of my vertabrae together. My specific problem was that the cartilage had deteriorated between three of the vertabrae in my lower back, and my sciatic nerve was being pinched as a result.
I stumbled across a book written by a doctor that had medical credentials in both the US and Britain. The title of the book was "The Cure For Arthritis". In it he explained why it was, at the time, primarily unheard of in the US, primarily because it wasn't/isn't a phamaceutical being produced by the major drug companies. All the education of Doctors, and familarity by the general public is brought about by the advertising done by the drug companies. Since it's nothing more than a combination of amino acids that are present in nature, there's no money to be made by them in manufacturing or promoting it.
Compared to prescription drugs, it's not expensive at all. I bought it at Costco under the brand name "Pain Free", which has since changed it's product name to "Move Free".
Your body naturally tears down old cartilage, and replaces it with new during your entire life span. At times, this mechanism gets out of whack and either tears it down too fast, or replaces it too slowly, resulting in loss of cartilage between bones, and results in bone to bone contact. The two ingredients, Chondroitin and Glucosamine, "reset" this mechanism. The product is not a pain reliever, and doesn't act quickly enough for you to notice any relief immediately, but does get long lasting results if used properly.
According to the Doctor who wrote the book, the way the product works in your body is this: by taking it regularly, your body will regulate the amount of cartilage being torn down and manufactured to replace it. After six months, your symptoms will be gone, often much sooner than that. (Mine were totally gone within two months.) After the six month period, you are to quit taking it completely, to force the body to regulate itself, and not be dependant on the product. In most cases, arthritis never comes back.
In my personal case, I was forced to give up all recreational activity during the time I was suffering from arthritis. Since my recovery, I have resumed all activities, with absolutely no pain. Those that take it for a week or two and don't see relief are cheating themselves by not giving the product a chance to work. I have recommended this therapy to anyone that has arthritis, and have never found a case that it didn't work, assuming they stayed with the treatment schedule. Those that have used it as a pain reliever have lost interest in a few weeks, and disavow any merit to the product. I'm living, walking, running, riding proof that it works.
I'm sorry I got so long winded, but I'm a firm believer in the merits of this product. I have absolutely nothing to gain financially from your use of this product, but knowing the desparation I felt when I was in pain, I feel better knowing that I've spread the word about a way to relieve someone else's agony.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I don't usually believe in " snake oil " but I take glucosamine every day. A few years ago my finger joints hurt me real bad, took glucosamine and after six weeks my pain went away. Placebo.........coincidence? I don't know, but I'm not taking any chances.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I suffer from the same problem, impact tools and drilling really sets it off.
My wife got her's from using garden tools.
Doctors etc wasn't helping her so when we were at a Vitamin store we asked the owner what he would sugest and it was the following, Vitamin B6, 250 mg twice a day and a liquid ointment from Hong Kong called White Flower. The White Flower is not like Tiger Balm etc, but does have a strong, pleasant smell, no burning sensation. $10 for a bottle that will last a very long time.
Anyway she went from holding her arm and having tears run down her face to no pain inside of 10 days and back to gardening like she used to within 3 weeks. Occasional flairups are treated with the White Flower.
I use the stuff and it works for me as well. Great for stress headaches, rub some on your neck.

Worked for us, your results may vary.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had really bad wrist pain and thought it was arthritis or carpel tunnel. I ate a lot of Ranger Candy (MOTRIN) to help fight it but it was no good. Had a bone scan and MRI done and was discovered that I had some fractured bones in my hand that were not healing. Turned out that the ulna bone was too long and was breaking the wrist bones. The doctor shortened the ulna 4mm and put a plate in till the bone heals. I am on my tenth week in a cast. I am told that this will take away the wrist pain and should be back to normal after a lot of thereapy.
It does suck that I can only look at the Wing since the weather has been nice.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I know this is off the topic of tendonitis, but I just need to respond and I will be done with it.

....and have never found a case that it didn't work, assuming they stayed with the treatment schedule
How can you say that after just acknowledging that you read my post that stated it did not do anything for me even after a year. :shock:

You stated that while you were on the Glucosamine you stopped all physical activity. Because of that, scientifically, you are not proof that it works because it is well known that rest alone can relieve arthitis pain. You fudged your own test!!! While I am happy for you that you are feeling better, you have no way of knowing what relieved your pain.

What makes the claims difficult is sometimes the doctors themselves. Many times, depending on your age, going to the doctor and telling him that you have joint pain will usually result in him saying that you have a "touch of arthritis", when in reality, unless you have an MRI or an Arthrogram done, there are a whole host of things that can cause joint pain.

The cartilage in your joints acts as a lubricant to help absorb shock and help your joints to move freely. When it wears down, friction and pain is the result. Your body develops fluids to help relieve the pain. Unfortunately, when the condtion is serious, those fluids cause swelling, which makes the pain even worse because the joints are stressed and can't move freely.

Your body naturally tears down old cartilage, and replaces it with new during your entire life span
If you got this out of the book you read, then the guy is a quack. It is well known that the human body is incapable of rebuilding cartilage, even a little bit. The body can repair muscles, ligaments, bones, and even tendons to an extent, but not cartilage. Once it tears, it stays torn. Once it wears down, it stays worn down. Medical researchers have been trying for decades to grow cartilage in the labrotory with no success. This is why there is no cure for arthritis. Once you develop arthritis, you have it for life. The only option is joint replacement.

How do I know all this? Sometime in the next 6 months I am going in for my fourth knee surgery to repair cartilage damage, this time on both knees. My first surgery was when I was 17 years old. (football injury). In these surgeries, they don't repair the cartilage like they do a ligament. They cut away the damaged tissue and smooth off the sharp edges to relieve the pain and just hope that is what is left will be enough.

The only claims for rebuilding cartilage have come from the companies that sell Glucosamine. The results of tests done by the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo clinic, which were reported in the American Journal of medicine have stated that in both studies they found no evidence of any cartilage growth in any of the subjects and in most cases found more degradation. They did acknowledge that based on patient testimony only, not research, there is a possibility that it many relieve pain for some arthritis sufferers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know this is off the topic of tendonitis, but I just need to respond and I will be done with it.

Quote:
....and have never found a case that it didn't work, assuming they stayed with the treatment schedule

How can you say that after just acknowledging that you read my post that stated it did not do anything for me even after a year. Shocked

You stated that while you were on the Glucosamine you stopped all physical activity. Because of that, scientifically, you are not proof that it works because it is well known that rest alone can relieve arthitis pain. You fudged your own test!!! While I am happy for you that you are feeling better, you have no way of knowing what relieved your pain.
From your post, I didn't know if you'd taken it regularly for a year, or sporadically. If you've been taking it regularly for year, and have seen no relief, then you hold the distinction of being only person I've known to not see results.
If you'd read my post, you'd remember that I said that I had to give up all recreational activity. I didn't say I rested. At the time, I was working two jobs, so there wasn't much time for rest.
I'm not interested in getting into a pi$$ing match with you. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts