GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting experience while returning home from a 5200 mile trip out west. Coming into Tennessee on I 24 I came to a rest area and decided I definitely needed to rest. Too many hours in the saddle. It was about 6am. Unloaded the GPS, camera etc. put them in my helmet and found a covered table well away from the beaten path. Put all the bike stuff on the table and laid down on the bench to take a nap. I was very quickly woke up by a "rent a cop" saying "Hey, hey, you can't sleep here" I pointed out that this is a rest area and I needed a break. He said he couldn't allow "riff raff" to sleep in the area so I could not sleep there for even the shortest amount of time. I did not point out that my bike likely cost more than any car in the rest area and possibly more than the house he was currently living in.
Not being in the best of moods and definitely not happy. I sat on the bench for about 15 minutes just to piss him off.
When I got home I fired off an email to the Tennessee Dept of Transportation detailing what had happened. I received this reply:

Good Morning Mr. Hewitt,

I have received your e-mail from the Tennessee Department of Transportation regarding your experience at the I-24 Montgomery County Welcome Center in Clarksville. Yesterday afternoon I personally visited that welcome center and talked with the manager and the security supervisor about your complaint.

We were all in agreement that the officer on duty used poor judgment in this situation. The security supervisor will speak to this officer and take corrective action. Our intent with the contract security officers is to make visitors feel safe; however, occasionally the officers are a bit overzealous in their approach and need guidance on how to treat our visitors.

Please accept my sincere apology for the way you were treated by the officer. Please know you are welcome to visit any of our 14 Tennessee Welcome Centers across the state. If you should ever need my assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Barry Young
Director of Welcome Centers
Tennessee Department of Tourist Development

I was surprised to receive a reply. I guess this proves there are still people who try to do the right thing and correct problems when they are pointed out I am pleased with this response and will not hesitate to stop in Tennessee. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to address that issue and congratulations for handling it successfully!

Perhaps that particular dimbulb will be more courteous in the future.

Did he really call you "riff raff?" Our Goldwings cost more than he'll earn in two years.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's kool.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm glad they got it straightened out for you.

I think I would have went postal and got on his case about all the truckers who use rest stops for their personal KOA campgrounds.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I hate to say I am from Tn. with that B>S> going on. I am glad you addressed it very professionally.

·
Registered
19,255 Posts
More people need to rest when tired. Always listen to your body. You handled it properly. Hopefully the rent a cop learned a lesson

To me he sounds like a motorcycle hater

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I had an interesting experience while returning home from a 5200 mile trip out west. Coming into Tennessee on I 24 I came to a rest area and decided I definitely needed to rest. Too many hours in the saddle. It was about 6am. Unloaded the GPS, camera etc. put them in my helmet and found a covered table well away from the beaten path. Put all the bike stuff on the table and laid down on the bench to take a nap. I was very quickly woke up by a "rent a cop" saying "Hey, hey, you can't sleep here" I pointed out that this is a rest area and I needed a break. He said he couldn't allow "RiFF RaFF" to sleep in the area so I could not sleep there for even the shortest amount of time. I did not point out that my bike likely cost more than any car in the rest area and possibly more than the house he was currently living in.
Not being in the best of moods and definitely not happy. I sat on the bench for about 15 minutes just to piss him off.
When I got home I fired off an email to the Tennessee Dept of Transportation detailing what had happened. I received this reply:

Good Morning Mr. Hewitt,

I have received your e-mail from the Tennessee Department of Transportation regarding your experience at the I-24 Montgomery County Welcome Center in Clarksville. Yesterday afternoon I personally visited that welcome center and talked with the manager and the security supervisor about your complaint.

We were all in agreement that the officer on duty used poor judgment in this situation. The security supervisor will speak to this officer and take corrective action. Our intent with the contract security officers is to make visitors feel safe; however, occasionally the officers are a bit overzealous in their approach and need guidance on how to treat our visitors.

Please accept my sincere apology for the way you were treated by the officer. Please know you are welcome to visit any of our 14 Tennessee Welcome Centers across the state. If you should ever need my assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Barry Young
Director of Welcome Centers
Tennessee Department of Tourist Development

I was surprised to receive a reply. I guess this proves there are still people who try to do the right thing and correct problems when they are pointed out I am pleased with this response and will not hesitate to stop in Tennessee. :thumbup:
You should have told him your "travlinman" NOT "RiFF RaFF". If you had cleared that up - you would not have had any problems.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Why didn't you tell Barney Fife to go knock on the windows of all the cars parked in the lot with the drivers sleeping in them and move them along as well? Dude, had that happened to me I would have told Mr. Fife to call anyone he wanted but I was resting in a rest area. I would not go anywhere and if he wanted to push this I would have been more than happy to play along. I assure you when a trooper or county mountie came along to answer the call he would have looked at Mr. Fife like he was friggin insane.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well done!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think I would have went postal and got on his case about all the truckers who use rest stops for their personal KOA campgrounds.

It unbelievable all the people that can't accept that truck drivers also has rights. were not all lawless, uneducated p.o.s. nasty a$$ drivers that think we own the road. It's a freaking job! Most of us get caught up in it for one reason or another and can't go back to the normal workforce because the "normal" jobs don't pay crap. we have to deal with things that most people can't even imagine.

So yes, if I want to use a rest area for a KOA I darn well will. If a walmart say they don't have a problem with me parking in the back I will. If I move over to the left lane to let some jackass merge on the 4 lane and he won't excel, just sits on my right side and it causes traffic to back up I will. If Johnny Law says I can't drive more than 11 hours and not be on duty more than 14 hours and I can't find a place to park I'll sit on a off ramp or somewhere else that gets in your way. Yea, in your way. Excuse the heck out if me for getting in your way or slowing you down. If I had a choice I would be at the Hilton or better than that, at home. As for blocking your lane of traffic If I could I would drive 1 mph faster than you so you won't do something stupid in front of me that may cause me to have a accident.

I pay taxes. I breath oxygen. I ride a goldwing. I have a wife. I have 6 grandkids. I'm pure American. No different than you.

I'm a truck driver! I'm proud!

This subject has been covered in this website before but that's my rant!

Sorry about the hijack.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It unbelievable all the people that can't accept that truck drivers also has rights. were not all lawless, uneducated p.o.s. nasty a$$ drivers that think we own the road. It's a freaking job! Most of us get caught up in it for one reason or another and can't go back to the normal workforce because the "normal" jobs don't pay crap. we have to deal with things that most people can't even imagine.

So yes, if I want to use a rest area for a KOA I darn well will. If a walmart say they don't have a problem with me parking in the back I will. If I move over to the left lane to let some jackass merge on the 4 lane and he won't excel, just sits on my right side and it causes traffic to back up I will. If Johnny Law says I can't drive more than 11 hours and not be on duty more than 14 hours and I can't find a place to park I'll sit on a off ramp or somewhere else that gets in your way. Yea, in your way. Excuse the heck out if me for getting in your way or slowing you down. If I had a choice I would be at the Hilton or better than that, at home. As for blocking your lane of traffic If I could I would drive 1 mph faster than you so you won't do something stupid in front of me that may cause me to have a accident.

I pay taxes. I breath oxygen. I ride a goldwing. I have a wife. I have 6 grandkids. I'm pure American. No different than you.

Sorry about the hijack.
LOL uhm, maybe its time for you to take a rest in one of those rest areas!! :wrong: :p

·
Registered
728 Posts
WHAT Were You Thinking???

WHAT in the world were you thinking actually using a rest area to rest in.
I would have asked "Barney" what the hell rest areas are there for?
And then I would have told him to go pizz-up a rope and shove it :yes1:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
WHAT in the world were you thinking actually using a rest area to rest in.
I would have asked "Barney" what the hell rest areas are there for?
And then I would have told him to go pizz-up a rope and shove it :yes1:
I thought the rest areas were only for people to walk their dogs and let them take a crap on the grass!

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

Sorry about the hijack.
Phil,

Please accept my apology for the dumb comment made by someone else.

Highway rest stops are for the purpose of allowing tired motorists to take a break or sleep to avoid highway fatigue accidents. That certainly includes truckers. Most of us realize there are not many places where a driver can park an 18 wheel tractor trailer.

I've slept overnight in many of them in an RV. That is also legal in many rest stops although not all.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've followed this same exact scenario in many a rest area across the country while traveling on a road trip and never had anyone give me any grief about it. You handled it well and much better than I would have.

Common sense ... what happen to it?

Donnie

1 - 20 of 40 Posts