GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be retiring soon and are thinking about East Tennessee for a stopping point, Why Tennessee? 1/2 way between wife Kids (New Orleans) and Mine (southern Ill). We will be coming down in May to check the state out and we have been looking at Knoxville and Chattanooga areas and areas in between. West TN would be closer for us but not nearly as pretty and things to do as in East TN in our opinions.
Any recommendations on where we should look at would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congratulations on retirement, I swear I'm busier now then when I was working. I live on the west coast but I was in Nashville for a Mac tools convention, cool town.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Knoxville is good as is Maryville and Chattanooga and Cleveland, TN... There are many small towns in between Knoxville and Chattanooga... The further east you go, the closer you are to the Smokies... I'm in Georgetown, a small rural hamlet just about 12 miles north of Cleveland... We like it, but for riding, a bit further east would have been better like Tellico. Vonore, Townsend, or Wears Valley...

The decision as to whether your near a large town or in the country is up to you... Maryville is nice and fairly close to the Smokies - a bit too crowded for my liking but to each his own... Welcome to Tennessee and our great riding roads...

Les

Reactions: Dave Willdo

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you like rural areas, Cookeville, Smithville Sparta area is good. Nashville is about 1 hour west. Center Hill dam/reservoir is close, big lake, clear cold water that seems to go on forever. Lots of old family farms that some can be bought fairly cheap. Some farms still have a tobacco base, rights to grow tobacco on a certain acreage. Which only the acreage is leased to, say Phillip Morris. They lease the right to grow, but they supply the land, you collect the money. Probably doesnt matter now since everyone is vaping.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just retired to East Tennessee from Dallas Texas. I am about half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga in Rhea county. Somewhat remote but I love it.
We are in Tulsa via Houston , hard choice not to go back to East Texas but once we started getting Grand Children sorta change the mindsets on where we want to be. Besides TN from what I see and hear is pretty nice living.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I retired to Cleveland, TN (2 miles east actually). I like this area because it has better weather than north of us, we retired from NYS so we had our fill of cold. When you come to recon the area, between Chattanooga and Knoxville covers a lot of territory. Make sure you check what amenities your significant other prefers for shopping etc. many areas you must travel 30 to 40 miles for decent shopping, doctors, restaurants and such.
We are having the TN GWRRA Rally in Pigeon Forge on May 2nd to 4th and folks will be there from most parts of the State and I am sure would be happy to answer questions for you. If you are arriving later than that don’t be afraid to call me for any info on this part of the State.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I retired to Cleveland, TN (2 miles east actually). I like this area because it has better weather than north of us, we retired from NYS so we had our fill of cold. When you come to recon the area, between Chattanooga and Knoxville covers a lot of territory. Make sure you check what amenities your significant other prefers for shopping etc. many areas you must travel 30 to 40 miles for decent shopping, doctors, restaurants and such.
We are having the TN GWRRA Rally in Pigeon Forge on May 2nd to 4th and folks will be there from most parts of the State and I am sure would be happy to answer questions for you. If you are arriving later than that don’t be afraid to call me for any info on this part of the State.
Thanks. the Cleveland area is one of the spots we were interested in so we will be checking it out.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

GREAT INFO!! Especially about Doctors and hospitals. When you first retire, you are usually still in pretty good shape health-wise. So, location might not be top of mind at that point. But, as you age just a little, you will notice that you are starting to become like an older motorcycle...you become more maintenance intensive. Living 50 or more miles away from an Emergency Room is not going to be in the cards for you and your bride, so pay attention to locale.

I'm not saying you have to live in a metropolis, but you don't want to be out in the boondocks either....no matter how much that may appeal to you.

Personally, I don't want to more than 5 miles away from a hospital or a COSTCO! LOL!

Basically, you need three things in retirement: Doctor...Pharmacy...COSTCO!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Got a brother in Chattanooga, the area is nice, especially what they did with the waterfront along the river.

Small city, some windy mountain roads, just not enough going on while you're still working depending on your area of expertise, and the airport isn't major enough to get around the country conveniently if you travel a lot.

Nice place to retire, though!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
For New Englanders, Oak Ridge may feel more like home. There should be signs at the city limits warning "Leaving Dixie". But, it has many things for retired folks as that has become its largest polulation base.

The area around is good, and stll within 15 miles of the hospital in Oak Ridge are Clinton and Oliver Springs plus a lot of country homes. If you want Chicago or New York lifestyle and ammeneties, you would be hard pressed to find them in Tennessee. Thank God!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Still have not retired yet, they keep offering me more money to stay ! However looks like Chattanooga area is going to win out when I do get out of here. Pretty area all around. Good day long rides in any direction you may choose. Wife likes it just for the Internet service speed! she cant live without her internet.
Nice Health care nearby and just all around plenty of things to do and see.

Update: well the time has finally came; Feb 1 2020 is my retirement Date. I hope to see Tennessee soon.
QUESTION that I never thought to ask, Whats bad about Tennessee? Everybody always talks highly of it, of course that always about riding..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is the Chattanooga / Knoxville end of the state okay for year-round riding? Or, if not, what part(s) of TN would be? I'm early for retirement, but actively looking for an area to call home after pulling the plug on the ol J-O-B.

We like TN a lot, bu I'm just not sure about the year-round riding aspect.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Is the Chattanooga / Knoxville end of the state okay for year-round riding? Or, if not, what part(s) of TN would be? I'm early for retirement, but actively looking for an area to call home after pulling the plug on the ol J-O-B.

We like TN a lot, bu I'm just not sure about the year-round riding aspect.
There are probably a week total of days with roads too sljck to ride, and sometimes roads like US441 through GSMNP, Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherohala Skyway are closed for long periods. Otherwise, heated jacket and gloves will keep you riding year-round. Go further South and any decent riding roads will have altitudes with the same weather. It does get rather warm and humid in summer, but Spring weather comes early and Fall lasts a long time. Unless you like riding in a straight line, East Tennessee has a great balance. Also low cost of living. Roads in East Tennessee and adjoining states can really keep you entertained, and the people are quite friendly (like most of the US). Technology access is almost a plentiful as the rest of the nation. We have 100 MBS cable internet, and live ~3 miles outside a small town.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks! That sounds like a grand possibility then. I'm not bothered by hot and humid. My wife is, but after this many years in Houston, I don't think we'd have anything to worry about there.

On the list.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We lived in Pearland for 8 years dont think your wife would have any problem from what I hear. There is no Humidly like Houston Humidity

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Still have not retired yet, they keep offering me more money to stay ! However looks like Chattanooga area is going to win out when I do get out of here. Pretty area all around. Good day long rides in any direction you may choose. Wife likes it just for the Internet service speed! she cant live without her internet.
Nice Health care nearby and just all around plenty of things to do and see.

Update: well the time has finally came; Feb 1 2020 is my retirement Date. I hope to see Tennessee soon.
QUESTION that I never thought to ask, Whats bad about Tennessee? Everybody always talks highly of it, of course that always about riding..
The only bad I can think of offhand is depending on where you live, there might be a bit of a drive to top-level medical care or large number of restaurants. I'm in Crossville. personally I'm very happy here. Think we're the second lowest tax rate in the state. Low crime, lot of positives. Affordable housing. However, our regional medical center is not a major hospital. You have to go to Cookeville, Nashville or Knoxville for major items. Not a lot of restaurants to choose from, however Cookeville is only about 30 miles away. Of course, more amenities, more traffic and crowds and all the crap that comes with it. I would recommend mid or east Tennessee, west Tennessee is flat and more problems.

Chattanooga area is nice - the outlying areas are of course more desirable. More country, less crowded, still have access to the city. (got fire ants though :-() Several board members live down there.

Contact me if more info desired.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well alot has changed since I first started this, Retired on Feb 12, then the this darn virus started 3 weeks later ! house hunting stopped in its tracks..... Now the wife wants to be closer the Nashville within 90 mins or so she can Fly SW since her son and grand baby just moved back to Houston. so the contenders now are Cookeville, Crossville, and Winchester areas. Any comments on them ? we will be driving out in 2 weeks to snoop around all 3 areas

1 - 20 of 33 Posts