GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Run...

Couple of friends and I are looking at riding part of the posted Tennessee Whiskey Run (probably the central portion) over a 3-4 day weekend. Last year we rode the Lake Michigan Circle Tour.

Besides riding into Nashville....are there better lodging options in the area? I know when a group of us rode down to the Dragon several years ago there was a motorcycle campground with cabins or tents; and have been on other rides I have been on where hotels cater to motorcycles. We are open to multiple options.

As I am not familiar with all the local views in Tennessee, thought I would post this here.
If you think this would be better in the general forum, let me know
thanks
bryon

·
Registered
725 Posts
https://devilstriangletn.com/wp-content/uploads/HauntedSection2_2015-600x400.jpg. I ride with a few guys that really enjoy riding the Devils Triangle in Oliver Springs Tn. Also not to far from the Tail of the Dragon. The Wind Mill Inn Bed & Breakfast is where we always stay. The owner Brenda enjoys riding also. She is a great host. Brushy Mountain Penitentiary is also located on the Devils Triangle. We enjoy this ride over the Dragons Tail any day. Not nearly as much traffic but it is more challenging but a lot of fun. I think you guys would enjoy this if you like mountain twisty roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
2¢ worth... if you're comin' to ride I'd base outta Chattanooga, Tn. instead. You'll enjoy the roads E. of Chat much more than the roads S. of Nashville... & Lynchburg's only 90 miles from Chat (as opposed to 72 from Nash.)
We don't do the Nashville touristy stuff though. We're always huntin' good twisty roads to carve up:cool:
Enjoy your roll Bro!

P.S. I'd put this on the general board (if it's allowed).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips

Was actually talking to one of the guys last night....
Everyone is starting to get excited about the trip (one on the group just had his knees replaced; told us this is therapy and driving him to get back to full strength so he can get back on his bike)

Yes, we are looking for fun roads to ride, the idea was to get south of Nashville, and try and find some scenic rides.
thanks for all the ideas
bryon

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
E. of Chatt... 74 toward Ducktown, Tn. (along the Ocoee!)
30 N. from Ocoee (@ Parkville Lake) to Reliance, Tn. then 315 to Tellico Plains, Tn. (course, stayin' on 74 straight to Ducktown is along the Olympic Whitewater though, beautiful!)
68 S. outta Tellico Plains through Ducktown becomes 60 in Ga. all the way through Suches, Ga.
(T.W.O. http://twowheelsofsuches.com/)
to Dahlonega, Ga.
If y'all dig The Dragon, you'll love all these!
(jus' to name a few off the top of my head:thumbup:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
E. of Chatt... 74 toward Ducktown, Tn. (along the Ocoee!)
30 N. from Ocoee (@ Parkville Lake) to Reliance, Tn. then 315 to Tellico Plains, Tn. (course, stayin' on 74 straight to Ducktown is along the Olympic Whitewater though, beautiful!)
68 S. outta Tellico Plains through Ducktown becomes 60 in Ga. all the way through Suches, Ga.
(T.W.O. http://twowheelsofsuches.com/)
to Dahlonega, Ga.
If y'all dig The Dragon, you'll love all these!
(jus' to name a few off the top of my head:thumbup:)
I'll add a strong second to all those routes from Mr Whiskey - some of my favorites are in there... I would also add TN 30 from east of TN 411 over to TN 64/74 - I call it The Mini Deals Gap (Mr Whiskey's route almost in reverse) and I would also add the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plaines to Robbinsville, NC... The ride along the Ocoee on 64/74 is Gorgeous and you'll see a ton of white water rafters and kayakers on the weekend along with big white water...

If your riding the Cherohala from Tellico Plaines, stop at Tellico Grains Bakery in town and pick up one of their home made sandwiches and head up the Cherohala a few miles to the cutoff for Bald River Falls about 6 miles up on the road... Go past the falls (viewable from the road) and up the road a bit and there is a pull-off on your left with 3 picnic tables to eat your sandwich right by the river... Pit toilets are nearby as well...

There are sooooo many good roads here in Eastern TN, Western NC, and Northern GA, it would take quite a while to find them all...

May I suggest you go to America Rides Maps https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeMotorcycleRides/ and order a few of their maps that deal with eastern TN and the Smokey Mountain Region... I have several of them and they are superb maps, exquisitely marked and reasonably priced, and offer some of the best riding roads in the Smokey Mountain area as well as other areas too...

Additionally, you might consider staying either in the town of Maryville, TN or Cleveland, TN... Both are in Eastern Tennessee and are large enough to have good hotels and decent restaurants... Both are probably about an hour away from the Cherohala and a bit further to Deals Gap and other points of interest... Clevelans TN is about 12 miles south of where I live in Georgetown, TN which is a tiny little rural town out in the country...

Ya'll come on down and ride with us - you won't be disappointed!! :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Les

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roads...

We were fortunate enough to hit the Cherola Skyway, the Dragon, and one other route that escapes me right now....ended up down by Pigeon Forge

Looking forward to getting back down there to ride
bryon

·
Registered
268 Posts
When you planning to go ?
We're going to be in the same area the first week of June.
I got 2 weeks to go play in the mountains
Happy
Happy
Happy

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
A guy at church gave me a map from this company: http://www.wildrides.info/maps/ it covers the whole state and surrounding states. A potion of it is on the site. I don't know where you can get them, but they are pretty good. I've been over many of these roads, and they are all good. Tennessee has very few lodging establishments that do not welcome motorcycles. Nashville will host WingDing this year, and Knoxville hosted it last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts