GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Do any of you use Tent Cots or the like for camping? I bought a cute little trailer that measures 36" wide by 46" long and about 24" deep. I was thinking of getting a Tent Cot from Cabella's or some other place but wanted to know what you good people thought of them. I have slept in many a tent over the years and might do it again, but like the idea of quick setup and take down and comfort is very important as my 60th birthday is closing in on me and long gone are the days of a ground cloth and a sleeping bag.

I guess I was just feeling you guys out to see what you liked. Motel's are OK on occasion but would like to be able to just hold up somewhere for the night and 20 minutes later have camp all set up.

As always, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My experience with cots is they let the cold air under you. I stay just as comfortable and warmer with a good self inflating pad. Also, with my knees, its easier to get up from the ground than it is to roll out off a cot then get up.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience with cots is they let the cold air under you. I stay just as comfortable and warmer with a good self inflating pad. Also, with my knees, its easier to get up from the ground than it is to roll out off a cot then get up.

This will be for summer time use only so the coolness of it was going to be a plus. And I am not buying so much for the cot as I am the tent part. Tent cots set up in less than three minutes and you are ready for (I hope!) a good nights sleep. I was just wondering how many out there had them and what they thought of them.

If it is better just to get a small tent and pad then maybe that is the route that I will go.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Kamp-Rite has a nice line of tent cots. Like everything, they have their place. Very convenient when traveling and only staying one night in any given place. Not so convenient for use as a "base camp" for making day trips unless you want to repack everything in the trailer before heading out for the day. When using the tent-cot, it's also nice to have an 8' x 10' tarp and some stakes and poles. Depending on how you set it up, it can be used as a lean-to (for wind protection) or as a sun shade.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
This will be for summer time use only so the coolness of it was going to be a plus.
I see, didn't think about warm camping. All the camping I do is in the cold, down to 20°F. I use a small tent and pad and pack it on the bike.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, didn't think about warm camping. All the camping I do is in the cold, down to 20°F. I use a small tent and pad and pack it on the bike.

Nice GS you got there. Perfect for what you like to do. But since I will have a small trailer I am planning on bringing along what creature comforts that I can and so far those cots that set up into a tent look like the way to go. My wife will not be coming with me on these week-two week rides so only has to be big enough for me.

I am not small, being 6' 250 lbs, so the smaller tent cots would not work too well for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Here's what I have to do when the wife wants to tag along.

A

·
0 Posts
... Tent cots set up in less than three minutes and you are ready for (I hope!) a good nights sleep. ...
I don't care for the tent cots due to lack of room in them. I prefer not to be out in the rain but I'm not always lucky. So, I want to be in a tent for changing clothes and want the extra room for keeping my stuff out of the weather. So for me it's a 60 second tent. The poles are hinged and already attached so you pull it out of the bag, shake it so the poles will extend and you're done! They are a bit heavier than a regular tent, but the rapid set up and take down make it well worth it to me. Also, they are still MUCH lighter than the tent-cots. There are several companies making 60 second tents. Campmor has one of the least expensive ones, here's a link:

Campmor 60 second tent

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't care for the tent cots due to lack of room in them. I prefer not to be out in the rain but I'm not always lucky. So, I want to be in a tent for changing clothes and want the extra room for keeping my stuff out of the weather. So for me it's a 60 second tent. The poles are hinged and already attached so you pull it out of the bag, shake it so the poles will extend and you're done! They are a bit heavier than a regular tent, but the rapid set up and take down make it well worth it to me. Also, they are still MUCH lighter than the tent-cots. There are several companies making 60 second tents. Campmor has one of the least expensive ones, here's a link:

Campmor 60 second tent
Well, the do have larger size tent cots. If I were to get one it would be the one that measures almost 3 feet across. But I just may have to settle for one of the Campmors as the are sure to take up less space and may be better overall. Thanks for the input as it is best for me to find out what works best for you guys.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am a believer in Tent Cots. Never been cold as mine has a pad plus I use an insulated Big Agnes for even more comfort and warmth if needed. They are more comfortable, more convienent as it is much easier to get in/out of bed, makes it a snap to put on your shoes plus you can store crap under the Cot for more room in the tent.

I use my Cots to setup a base camp and do not pack on my bike (Too Big). Maybe they would fit in your trailer or on top.

I tried all the exotic $$$$ cots (Northern Euro etc) and ended up with the Coleman which was more comfortable and less expensive than anything else. Also the cot has rounded continous legs which prevent tent floor damage.

Walmart has them now.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am a believer in Tent Cots. Never been cold as mine has a pad plus I use an insulated Big Agnes for even more comfort and warmth if needed. They are more comfortable, more convienent as it is much easier to get in/out of bed, makes it a snap to put on your shoes plus you can store crap under the Cot for more room in the tent.

I use my Cots to setup a base camp and do not pack on my bike (Too Big). Maybe they would fit in your trailer or on top.

I tried all the exotic $$$$ cots (Northern Euro etc) and ended up with the Coleman which was more comfortable and less expensive than anything else. Also the cot has rounded continous legs which prevent tent floor damage.

Walmart has them now.
:agree:Getting off the groung in the morning is tough.I use a cot when I'am tent camping,and not pulling the camper(Timeout).

Barry

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Walmart has them now.
Thanks for the information, but Tent Cots are tents and cots all in one- not cots inside tents. If you do a Google search you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the information, but Tent Cots are tents and cots all in one- not cots inside tents. If you do a Google search you will see what I am talking about.
Yea I know just had a problem with my reading. Had that problem in school too. RTFQ! Did better that way.

This weekend, I just saw several versions of Tent Cots (nots Tents in Cots) in Cabellas on the floor.

THese things are really heavy though and I like my idea better .....more flexible and you can stretch!

I use my cots for overflow berthing too! :thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have two of them, a double and an oversize single. I love them for camping but I am not sure you can fit one in a trailer. We use them when we go ATV riding and take them in the truck. The double is really large but has a bar that runs down the middle lengthwise. That keeps you from sleeping in the middle when using it for just one person. If it did not have the center bar it would be great for one person since it is very roomy. I am not sure what the size for a regular single is, but the ones I have are still pretty large when folded.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Tent cot

Rusty,

The site above is mine. I've also added the pic below from my 28 day trip last Sept.
At Glacier National Park

This is the single size. I bought it to carry w/o a trailer and I will admit that it is small inside. It bothered me at first, but not so much any more. I'm 5'8" and 200# and I don't think I could do this if I were much bigger. I use a 1" foam pad with it ,but will be upgrading to an air pad. I've used it below freezing with a 30* Coleman bag and was warm enogh, but the small interior causes some condensation issues. My tarp is 8x10 cheapo, but gives good protection and allows for setting up and taking down and staying dry. I recently checked into the larger sizes and they would require a trailer:cry:. I've never put my t/c up in less than 10 minutes, but I haven't really tried. It accomplished what I needed-up off of the ground. The more I camp and use it, the more usable it seems to be. From the pictures, it looks like the larger ones are simpler to set up.

Ask if you have any other questions that I might be able answer.

Richard

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rusty,

The site above is mine. I've also added the pic below from my 28 day trip last Sept.
At Glacier National Park

This is the single size. I bought it to carry w/o a trailer and I will admit that it is small inside. It bothered me at first, but not so much any more. I'm 5'8" and 200# and I don't think I could do this if I were much bigger. I use a 1" foam pad with it ,but will be upgrading to an air pad. I've used it below freezing with a 30* Coleman bag and was warm enogh, but the small interior causes some condensation issues. My tarp is 8x10 cheapo, but gives good protection and allows for setting up and taking down and staying dry. I recently checked into the larger sizes and they would require a trailer:cry:. I've never put my t/c up in less than 10 minutes, but I haven't really tried. It accomplished what I needed-up off of the ground. The more I camp and use it, the more usable it seems to be. From the pictures, it looks like the larger ones are simpler to set up.

Ask if you have any other questions that I might be able answer.

Richard
hey clem see i posted one up for ya!!!:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts