GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do ya'll use for heat? My wife and I will be headed to Mena, Ar. for CMA's national rally next month. This will be the first time we've camped with the possibility of being cold at night. We'll have a "powered" site. So...any idears (said in my best Paul Sr. voice). Thanks in advance...

The motel:

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
We use a little 1500W electric from wally world, has fan, low and high settings also has a shutoff if knocked over, believe it was under $20. It is also small about 8-10" square.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought a small ceramic heater from Wally World last year and it worked great. The first time I used it was when it fell into the 40's and I turned it down on low and it kept the inside of the camper nice and comfy.

It cost around $15.00. If I remember correctly it would also turn itself off if it was knocked over.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Coleman Catalytic heater works great. It uses the small propane tank setup. I believe it is safe, unless you throw a blanket over it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
da_bul
What ever type heater you use. Besure you have proper venlation in your tent for the heater. You would not think that a heater could burn all the oxygen up in a tent , but it can and will burn up all the oxygen in a tent. There are people that die every year from burning a heater in a tent that is not properly ventlated. If you have a power source I would get a electric blanket. I am sure a good tent heater and proper velation will work ok
thomas

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an FYI, but I believe the lodge at top of wilhelmena is closed for renovations.
I am thinking we'll be staying at Iron Mountain, but I heard the food was good at the lodge.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
She is big and fat,
you know what I mean?

·
Registered
394 Posts
the Lodge @ Wilhelmina

will not close for redo 'til Dec 1. We were there Thurs. Nite. So dry some leaves are already turning. They had a ham radio convention that took all the rooms on Sat. We went on to Hot Springs and they were having a Harley convention. 30000 of'em. Who knew? Good ride anyway.

Shiv

·
Registered
40 Posts
Powered site, I would go wally world electric. Used mine about 25 days on my trip to Alaska. Set it at 65 degrees on low and it kept my Bunkhouse toasty in snow, sleet, and hail. We had weater below freezing most mornings and it worked.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Electric blankets are the way we do it...works great

·
Registered
863 Posts
my wife has always kept me warm. but if i had a trailer, i'd opt for the electric blanket.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
1500 watt, 110V electric heater and if it is really cold, add an electric blanket under your bedding. It works better than on top of the blankets.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thumbs down on the electric blanket. My wife was using one, apparently it short circuited and set her underwear on fire.:eek:4: I swear to God, she made enough noise to wake up the dead. Jumping up and down with smoke coming off her unmentionables. I laughed so hard about wet my pants. Never the less, no longer use an electric blanket. She is all in to electric heaters from Walley World now.:lol:

(I hope she doesn't read this post):22yikes:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well, we make sure our electric blankets are in good condition...but I suppose it could happen to anyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife and I use a small ceramic heater we bought at Camping World. It keeps our Aspen toasty on those cold nights. Propane heaters scare me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts