GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a brand new never opened tent. The box says it sleeps nine. Going by the box size it will fit in the trailer ok, if it can be repacked that tight. Is this one too big to be setting up every night?

·
Registered
362 Posts
tent size

Only you can say if it is too hard to set up each night. I would guess it would be. It depends on what you want. The usual guide is a tent of a size tha is for one more than will be in it. Enjoy yourself. It is preferable to have one tall enough to stand in.

·
IronMan
17,857 Posts
Its good if your planning on company never pack more than you need imop

·
Registered
240 Posts
my SO prefers the larger tent also; she likes room for a table and chairs in the tent for relaxing, reading and whatever.....we have a tent labled for 9 people...it works great, doesn't take up much more room than a smaller one and goes up/down quickly....

Keep the ladies happy and see how our lives improve!!!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
We prefer to buy twice to three times the number of people using it. For the two of us that means a four to six person tent. We currently have a six. We toured Europe in a four. Remember that it will rain! and it is nice to be able to set up the chairs inside without folding the bed up.

A nine person tent may be a bit much, but if it is easy to use, you'll love the space to spread out! And the price was right!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered the Coleman Instant 8 tent on Ebay. Goes up in less that 60 seconds. I think it's up to the person that has to set ti up and how much room you need when it rains most of the day, as to what size. Have fun and maybe we'll see ya in the woods somewhere..

·
Registered
7 Posts
:thumbup:Suzanne and I have a six man tent full size air bed port-a-poty two burner stove table two chairs lights pots/pans dishes caned/box food in the trailer and a lg. cooler on the front!!! Just cannot fit the 42" tv in???
all in the HF Tag-a-long trailer. You will enjoy the exter space and being able to stand up to dress.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Do a trial run and set it up in your yard if possible. That way you'll know what to expect when you go camping with it. Nothing worse than getting to the campground and finding out that something is missing, broken, etc. :eek:4:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Everyday setup I prefer small tent 2 person for just me. Long stay one place bigger is better. I had a 10x12 and love it a couple of weeks ago. Pain to set up,but worth all effort for 2 week stay. Nothing got wet,food was inside, all riding gear inside at nite, and zero moisture built up:yes1: Packed it fit nicely on passenger seat. Doing it again next June same way :thumbup: 343 days and counting :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I usually don't mess with tents that have more than 5 poles - 2 or 3 poles for the tent and 2 poles for the fly. Having more room is nice, might be some weight issues. A bigger tent is always heavier wet - and it always seems to be wet when repacking. I use a 4 man tent for 2 of us and I like a tent with higher ceiling so you can stand in it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you got the room Bigger is better make moma happy.cause if she not you wont be.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are giving it a try. We are staying in Pigeon for a few days with it. It wasn't to bad to put up after a long hot day of riding. Looks like it's going to get broke in good with the rain this week.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agree with CAWing and those before--
Try setting it up a time or two at home.
If the set up is manageable and you can pack it, go for it--unless the footprint (size) is an issue while traveling. I would think not--but consider your likely sites.
Happy camping!
OB

·
Registered
714 Posts
I prefer larger tents to have extra room. I don't like being crowded.

While on a trip to Colorado, I found it to be too much hastle to set up and break down camp every day. I did end up getting a pop up trailer, but it is also a hastle to set up every day.

The best thing to do, I think, is to try and set up a tent in a centralized location then make day trips out like spokes on a wheel. If you are traveling across country, obviously you won't have much choice.

Good luck.

:p

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I prefer larger tents to have extra room. I don't like being crowded.

While on a trip to Colorado, I found it to be too much hastle to set up and break down camp every day. I did end up getting a pop up trailer, but it is also a hastle to set up every day.

The best thing to do, I think, is to try and set up a tent in a centralized location then make day trips out like spokes on a wheel. If you are traveling across country, obviously you won't have much choice.

Good luck.

:p
That is how I try and plan when using my Kwik Kamp.

·
Registered
349 Posts
While the room in a large tent is nice, they catch a lot of wind in a storm. I was at a rally when a storm blew thru. All the large , tall tents got flattened while the smaller close to the ground tents survived. Just depends on your needs.I Like the " double the number of people rule"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts