GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting an Aspen camper. The deal looks good if you order and pay before next Monday.
i guess my question to those of you who have a trailer or a tent is: is the comfort of the trailer worth the cost??
I have a homebuilt cargo trailer (HD trailer with Sears topper) but the look of the camper has me wanting one.
Any opinions will be appreciated (especially any comments that will help sell my wife on a camper!!).

mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Question right back atcha - how much do you think you'll use it? If you're a regular camper, it's well worth the comfort factor! I got mine early this year used for a song and have put a few thousand miles on it for 4 trips. I like the idea of not having to pack all the gear required to tent camp. Hook the trailer up, toss a sleeping bag and pillow in it and the cooking gear and I'm gone. Actually, most of the stuff stays in the camper to save time. Weather aka rain is not a big concern now either. I'm up off the ground, dry and warm on a soft cushion. The awning is a great garage during inclement weather too. :clap2: I put a stand alone awning in the storage area and use it for shade over a picnic table at the campsite. Added a 12vdc electric cooler on the tongue and have cold beverages at every stop without the added slosh of icewater.

Would I do it again? In a hearbeat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mike,

I just ordered my Aspen Camper and should take delivery in January. I have made several cross country trips and tried the camping thing but never had enough room for both the gear and clothes nor was I comfy. Now with the trailer I'll have the gear and the room for the clothes and I'll be comfy. :lol: :yw1:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Went to the Aspen web page -- nice looking camper! Agree with the previous comments in that this is truly an individual choice based primarily on how much you would use it. Knowing my SO, there is no way I'm going to get her to "camp" after a full day of riding. I guess it's a creature comfort thing. That's major reason we ended up buying a new Escapade for her to carrying everything she needs for a trip; definately more than a Goldwing can carry in the saddlebags and trunk.

But just wondering... what does one of those rigs run.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I hope to be able to afford a camper some day!
Been camping with Dayle (Quickdraw) a couple of times and am envious as hell every time He is all set up and has the coffee brewing before I've even got my tent put up... lol

If I camped regularly (and I do), and could afford a camper, I'd get one in a second!

Good luck!

·
Registered
218 Posts
IB Mike - what are you talking about, doesn't Uncle Sam provide all the camping gear you need? Only joking.... hope all is well with you in Abu Dhabi. Take care of yourself.

Toisich
USAF Retired
DOD Civilian

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have spent many, many nights in our aspen classic. Camped in tents for many years also. Oh, how I hated packing/unpacking the bike (no trailer) on camping trips.

With the aspen it's far better than a motel (which I don't like anyway). If a campground is not convenient...and you are in the desert or secluded mountains...you can usually find a secluded spot and pop out the camper and be ready for bed in about five minutes...

We keep ours packed and ready to go. We also pull it with a jeep wrangler. Everything is wired so I can back right up to the camper with the goldwing or the jeep and hook right up and be gone in minutes. The camper stay's packed and ready all the time. We are retired and sometimes leave on a moment's notice and have stayed gone for FIVE MONTHS...!!!!

We have a forty foot 5th wheel, (it's an ATV/motorcycle hauler as well...FOR SALE) and a 3500 dodge dooly diesel sitting in the yard that we haven't touched once in almost two years since we got the aspen. It is so convenient to hop on the bike/jeep and take off...stay a night or two where we want and then see what's across the next mountain.

We plan to leave north Ga in a bout a week or 10 days with the jeep/camper and ramble the US/Mex border for a month or two...at least until the weather gets warmer in n Ga...

So...to answer your question...life is dramatically improved with a camper...and I like the aspen...the bunkhouse is about the same, just more expensive. The aspen is a knockoff of the bunkhouse made by folks across town from bunkhouse in elk grove, IL who used to work for bunkhouse...so I'm told.

Pictures can be seen at the photo albums link below.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the replies! I may just have to go for it!
mike

G

·
We have a 2003 Aspen Classic and really enjoy it. My wife and I have a different take on the camping thing than most. First we bought the camper for the same reason we bought the Gold Wing, for enjoyment. Not to save money on motels but simply to enjoy camping. When we decided to buy the camper we agreed that the camper would not be used every time out. Just because we own the camper we do not feel obligated to use it. When the weather is nice and we are in the mood we camp. When the weather looks questionable we take the cargo trailer and stay in a motel. I can't think of a better way to burn you or your spouse out on camping than to feel obligated to use the camper when you really aren't in the mood to use it. Trying to justify the cost of a motorcycle camper is like trying to justify the cost of a boat or some other expensive toy that can only be used a few months out of the year. If money is your only motive I would say stay in a mom & pop motel and save your money. Several of us in our local GWRRA Chapter have campers and we have a lot of fun doing group campouts. We are already making plans for next years events. The Aspen Classic is a good camper and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new camper. After 4,000 miles and 14 nights in the camper we are still smiling :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Aspen Classic is a good camper and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new camper. After 4,000 miles and 14 nights in the camper we are still smiling
We have about 6000 miles and 18 nights this year in our 2003 Aspen Calssic, and that is with a wife that up untill 3 years ago wouldn't camp, 2001 we bought the bike and cargo trailer and tent and camping equipment and she loved camping. 2002 we also used a cargo trailer and tent, this past spring we bought the Aspen Classic and used it 18 nights this year and have alot planned for next year.

Oh did I mention that the bunkhouse has a King size bed???
The Aspen Classic has a California King, I think a few inches narower than a King size but a few inches taller.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Bunkhouse camper for me :)

We used to do the tent/sleeping bag thing but switched to an older camper that cost us $400.00. Two years later we bought the Bunkhouse and will not have to buy another! It is very well built and has kept us dry during 2 separate tornado warning storms, not to mention the normal rain we seem to encounter when camping. Good luck on your purchase whatever it may be, you will find yourself camping at rallies a lot more and having much more fun doing it. Oh did I mention that the bunkhouse has a King size bed???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking for used camper

I think I will hold out for a used camper for now.
thanks for all the input.
mike

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tenting

We went for a tent and love it.
Wanted more roon than a camper will give.
We are both large and I couldn't see climbing into a camper.
We lived 2 years on a 25 foot sail boat so wanted a nice roomy bed and a place to stand to put my pants on.
Tent has well over 6 foot head room.

Photos of our set up at
http://warbirdbob.com/camping.htm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
warbird's bed

Warbird, the bed looks "good as home". What is it? It looks almost like springs and mattress.

mike

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes it is a box spring and matteress.
Joind together and inflateable. Got it at Walmart and it is great. I use a rechargeable electric pump also (a must) at Walmart Bed about 36 pump 17
TR :flg:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts