GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: My Co-Rider & I love our bike but we are fed up with the fuel milage. It has stunk from day one ('01 ABS Illusion Red bought new). We are now down to 23 MPG. Best ever was 33 MPG on open road, & that was brief. Stormy does have an irregular RPM @ idle (does anyone else)? We follow all maintance to the "T". Tires are kept @ proper inflations & Dealer Service people say there is nothing wrong that all bikes vary on MPG. This is not a variance it is is my wife & I personally supporting "OPEC"! Anyone got an idea.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
O2 Sensors

I put my bet on the O2 sensors -- just surpirsed that your FI light has not come on to indicate left and/or right sensor. The earlier bikes seemed to have a bad run of sensors. In my 2002 Wing the left sensor went within 1k miles and the right one followed at about 4k. Gas mileage dropped big time when they went -- if both are acting up then it would be bad mileage. Sweet talk you dealer as something is wrong. I normally get around 40-45 (Honda) mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O2 REPLACED WAY BACK

I had an O2 sensor replaced way back (cannot remember if R or L). F1 light went on to let me know. No improvement.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on the board some time ago regarding fuel pump pressure or pressure at the fuel rail? Since I'm pulling this from the deep recesses of my mind, someone else with a better memory will have to wade in. Piper

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I'd also bet on the O2 sensors. My '01 only got around 30 mpg for the first 7,500 miles. The FI light finally came on and they replaced both sensors and harness. The mileage went straight to 40 all the time. All the 01's and the early 02's had tons of problems with the O2 sensors.

My '02 gets a constant 40mpg. Sounds like you're not tipping the guys at Barneys good enough! :( LOL!! A good dealer, if your a regular customer, would go ahead and replace your sensors and wiring harness with or without a FI light on. No money out of their pocket and they have bulletins from Honda telling them what to do!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
626 Posts
You say you have a uneven idle. When I had that and poor gas mileage it was the fuel pressure regulator that was bad. Replacement of the regulator fixed the idle and mileage.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree with the other posts but here is an easy thing to try. Disconect the battery overnight and when you hook it up start the bike and do not touch the throttle for 15 minuites.
This will reset the computer and may help.
TR

·
Registered
75 Posts
Remove a spark plug from each side. If one plug is running rich (electrode is black) you have a bad O2 on that side. If both are running black the regulator or both O2s are bad.

This is ANOTHER shame on you Honda issue. They DO know about this but hang their dirty little hats on the mileage is "in spec".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts